Advice Needed: Tired Of Striking Out

CAB

FNG
It's been about 8 years since my last successful deer hunt. I have the common problem of being able to find deer all year scouting but come hunting season no matter how much or how little hunting pressure it seem like the deer are ghost. To add to all of this the last 5 years I moved from ME to WA and just moved to CO so it means having to find new spots all over again. I wanted to get some advice or just general thoughts on my plans for this year from you guys.

I got a tip from a coworker about a spot that looks promising(granted he's not a hunter). I was thinking of buying multiple trail cams and just focusing on just this one area as its a fairly good size chunk of public land with no roads around it or access other than this 1 point. My old tactics would be to drive, hike and scout out multiple spots but out here in the west it's tough, do to how big the country is. I would maybe find another spot or two as a back up spots. I'm trying to use spots that are about 1-2 hours away from the house if possible. What's your thoughts on this idea of scouting the hell out of one area instead of lightly scouting multiple spots?

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
Skip the cameras and use the glass imo. I think focus on one area is a good idea. Unless you don't find anything.
That's a great point, in WA glassing wasn't much of an option on the west side. This area after doing some mapping looks like glassing would be a great idea! thanks for the tip.

That's a great point, in WA glassing wasn't much of an option on the west side. This area after doing some mapping looks like glassing would be a great idea! thanks for the tip.
Hey man, are you listening to podcasts like The Rich Outdoors or Eastmans' Elevated to learn a bit more about scouting and hunting spots in rifle season?

Also, being that you're in Colorado, you should likely consider the types of hunts you're going to be going after. For instance, next year's 2nd season is really an early rut date, so scouting hard likely won't be as helpful as if you were doing that high country rifle hunt, archery, or muzzleloader dates.

I'll send ya some podcasts over DM if you'd like!

Reactions: CAB
What season are you planning to hunt? For archery and muzzleloader seasons scouting might be beneficial, but things start to change in October due to hunting pressure, weather, the upcoming rut, changes in forage quality, etc.

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
What season are you planning to hunt? For archery and muzzleloader seasons scouting might be beneficial, but things start to change in October due to hunting pressure, weather, the upcoming rut, changes in forage quality, etc.
For this year I'm looking at deer rifle season this year but in the past I was doing a lot of archery seasons. Very valid points you brought up.

For this year I'm looking at deer rifle season this year but in the past I was doing a lot of archery seasons. Very valid points you brought up.
Colorado has 4 regular rifle seasons. 1st season is elk only. 2nd and 3rd season are combined deer and elk. 4th season can be combined or elk only depending on the GMU. Then there are also early rifle hunts in a few GMUs. Typically the easiest to draw buck tags are 2nd rifle (late October), but in my opinion it's the hardest time to find deer. Later dates and having 9 hunting days will make 2nd season easier this year. As far as scouting goes for 2nd season I'd spend my time learning the roads and public access then find some glassing points.

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
Hey man, are you listening to podcasts like The Rich Outdoors or Eastmans' Elevated to learn a bit more about scouting and hunting spots in rifle season?

Also, being that you're in Colorado, you should likely consider the types of hunts you're going to be going after. For instance, next year's 2nd season is really an early rut date, so scouting hard likely won't be as helpful as if you were doing that high country rifle hunt, archery, or muzzleloader dates.

I'll send ya some podcasts over DM if you'd like!
I haven't heard of that podcast but i am certainly going to check it out for sure. I'm thinking rifle this year and maybe next but I do love archery season so maybe will switch to that in the future once I have a few spots hammered out. thanks for the tips!
Colorado has 4 regular rifle seasons. 1st season is elk only. 2nd and 3rd season are combined deer and elk. 4th season can be combined or elk only depending on the GMU. Then there are also early rifle hunts in a few GMUs. Typically the easiest to draw buck tags are 2nd rifle (late October), but in my opinion it's the hardest time to find deer. Later dates and having 9 hunting days will make 2nd season easier this year. As far as scouting goes for 2nd season I'd spend my time learning the roads and public access then find some glassing points.
Thanks for this! I have the glass and ti-pod ready to go. I'm dying to get in to the mountains here and take a look around.

In your new home your binoculars will be your best friend. Depending on the area you hunt and also how picky you are about size a spotting scope may also help.

Go up in the summer and get on some high vantage points and glass like it’s your job.

def90

WKR
The deer in Colorado move around a lot more than whitetails do if that is what you are used to. You can scout all summer and find all the deer you want but I doubt you will see them in the same place in October or November.

This was my first season hunting mule deer in Co, I see them all the time while elk hunting so I figured I would just do the same thing, cover a lot of ground and glass. I found that I spotted most of them mid morning (which kind of flew in the face of what I had been told) then they would bed around 11:00 or so and then get more active again around 3:00 though I did see deer on the move throughout the day at times. The hardest thing for me was that I was archery hunting in an area of rolling hills and canyons dotted with juniper trees. I had no problem finding them but being I was not able to stalk any closer than 80yds without being busted. I also learned that if you have a nice buck with more than two other deer or does with him it will be near impossible to get close, had my best luck with solo deer or a buck with a single doe or two. Also wait until they have bedded before going after them, stalking feeding/moving deer is just about pointless. In the end I came home empty handed though if I had a rifle I could have shot a deer every day that I was out except for one.

To consistently harvest mule deer, you need to know of areas that bucks commonly utilize. For that you need to scout, alot. You are not just going to see them out and about. You need to find likely locations you have good glassing opportunities from, and sit, minimizing your movements, and glass for 2 plus hours at a time, and repeat. Get to spots to glass from before first light; early enough to let the place settle before first light. Glass until last light, and walk to and from in the dark. @ to 4 hours of glassing at each location, before moving to the next.

You do not consistently find and harvest mule deer by walking until you find them. You do it by selecting likely locations (usually known from experience and lots of time in the field, and letting them show themselves to you.

Stalker69

WKR
Op pm me, I don’t rifle hunt and if that’s what your wanting I can point you in not only a good direction to fill your tag but possibly a 170 - 200”. Seriously, I have a few ex “ friends” that go every year and kill some nice bucks. One got a 176” this year. But they say they can kill small bucks daily, if your not into horn size. It’s in Colorado. I have it marked on a map, I will have to look again to make sure I know the unit number.

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
In your new home your binoculars will be your best friend. Depending on the area you hunt and also how picky you are about size a spotting scope may also help.

Go up in the summer and get on some high vantage points and glass like it’s your job.
Not picky and will certainly take some time to find glassing spots.

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
The deer in Colorado move around a lot more than whitetails do if that is what you are used to. You can scout all summer and find all the deer you want but I doubt you will see them in the same place in October or November.

This was my first season hunting mule deer in Co, I see them all the time while elk hunting so I figured I would just do the same thing, cover a lot of ground and glass. I found that I spotted most of them mid morning (which kind of flew in the face of what I had been told) then they would bed around 11:00 or so and then get more active again around 3:00 though I did see deer on the move throughout the day at times. The hardest thing for me was that I was archery hunting in an area of rolling hills and canyons dotted with juniper trees. I had no problem finding them but being I was not able to stalk any closer than 80yds without being busted. I also learned that if you have a nice buck with more than two other deer or does with him it will be near impossible to get close, had my best luck with solo deer or a buck with a single doe or two. Also wait until they have bedded before going after them, stalking feeding/moving deer is just about pointless. In the end I came home empty handed though if I had a rifle I could have shot a deer every day that I was out except for one.
this is chuck full of good info thank you and I love bow hunting but this year I figured I would go rifle with maybe bow in a year or two.

Laramie

WKR
I'll add glassing again as to me, it is one of, if not the most important element to mule deer hunting. Don't just look through binoculars- actually learn how to properly use glass. Practice during the offseason glassing whatever. I like waterfowl so I spend my occasional lunch break glassing ducks and geese from long range just to stay sharp. Use a tripod or learn how to sit so your arms can be supported. Start with 2-3 minutes at a time and work up from there.

Here is one link to some basic information that will help get you started. There are a pile more out there to read. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/heres-glass-mule-deer-increase-odds-filling-tag/

Good luck!

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
I'll add glassing again as to me, it is one of, if not the most important element to mule deer hunting. Don't just look through binoculars- actually learn how to properly use glass. Practice during the offseason glassing whatever. I like waterfowl so I spend my occasional lunch break glassing ducks and geese from long range just to stay sharp. Use a tripod or learn how to sit so your arms can be supported. Start with 2-3 minutes at a time and work up from there.

Here is one link to some basic information that will help get you started. There are a pile more out there to read. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/heres-glass-mule-deer-increase-odds-filling-tag/

Good luck!
Really good tips in that article, thank you for help it's appreciated!

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
Op pm me, I don’t rifle hunt and if that’s what your wanting I can point you in not only a good direction to fill your tag but possibly a 170 - 200”. Seriously, I have a few ex “ friends” that go every year and kill some nice bucks. One got a 176” this year. But they say they can kill small bucks daily, if your not into horn size. It’s in Colorado. I have it marked on a map, I will have to look again to make sure I know the unit number.
Not Picky and that would be fantastic thank you!

Wassid82

WKR
For rifle hunts I have found its most advantageous to have good glass and worth the extra weight of carrying a spotting scope. It saves miles on your feet and keeps you from busting deer before seeing many of them. As I learned to increase my capability to pick a part terrain using binos/spotter I realized I needed to slow down and work smarter not harder. Experienced hunters know good areas when they find them. Find fresh sign and then get high and use glass.

Shooter63

FNG
It's been about 8 years since my last successful deer hunt. I have the common problem of being able to find deer all year scouting but come hunting season no matter how much or how little hunting pressure it seem like the deer are ghost. To add to all of this the last 5 years I moved from ME to WA and just moved to CO so it means having to find new spots all over again. I wanted to get some advice or just general thoughts on my plans for this year from you guys.

I got a tip from a coworker about a spot that looks promising(granted he's not a hunter). I was thinking of buying multiple trail cams and just focusing on just this one area as its a fairly good size chunk of public land with no roads around it or access other than this 1 point. My old tactics would be to drive, hike and scout out multiple spots but out here in the west it's tough, do to how big the country is. I would maybe find another spot or two as a back up spots. I'm trying to use spots that are about 1-2 hours away from the house if possible. What's your thoughts on this idea of scouting the hell out of one area instead of lightly scouting multiple spots?
Watch Eastman s and read their publications. They talk about about public ground