Advice needed

Delta21

FNG
need some advice on sleep systems for out of state hunts from guys that have few nights under their belt. 1st question I guess is basic set up. Do y’all find more use from base camping (truck/trailer/tent) and only spike camping when needed? Or put everything on back and head out and sleep where sundown catches ya? Never backpack hunted before but something I’m wanting to get into. Are their specific situations that determine which way to go here? If tent camping my first thought is looking into an Allak 3. (Buy once cry once) and Kifaru slick bag. Both are expensive but shelter may become life or death situation. Am I over thinking this or are there less expensive options y’all have found that works well? A tent could be used year round with the family and have been thinking about building out a camper/truck setup or cargo trailer setup. Just wondering what method would be most efficient. Thanks for any input here

Carrying your entire camp on your back all day everyday is difficult and quite possibly detrimental to your chances of success. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

You're over thinking it, which is common on internet hunting forums. But as for me, there's certain situations that dictate whether I'll hunt strictly from a base camp (four wheel drive access type camp) or if I'll simply park the truck and hike way the hell back in for two weeks of remote hunting. Namely, the situation boils down to where the animals are located.

kpk

WKR
I personally wouldn't recommend camping much farther away from the truck, than you're willing to pack an animal to the truck.

Marble

WKR
For camping at the truck, I use fairly cheap bags, thick heavy pads, blankets and a little heater if needed. Don't over think it.

For backpacking there are tons of options. Before investing a bunch of money on high end gear, use some basic bags and pads and just go. It takes multiple trips to figure out what works for you, what is durable, and how much you can carry.

Just a short mile or two hike to some lake and an overnight will teach you more than anything you'll learn here.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
D

Delta21

FNG
Thanks for the advice fellas, I think truck camping would prob be best for first trip out. Sleep in truck/ tent and head out in mornings. Anybody care to share a few things you’ve leaned over the years that somebody in my journey may not have enough experience to know?I know as with anything the best way to learn is jump in and learn from mistakes. But does anyone have any tips to shorten the learning curve?

Get out there and rough it and you’ll figure it out quickly!

Yes sir, when I started backpack hunting in the mid 1960's, we sure as hell didn't have all this high-end lightweight bullshit that's on the market today. Back then and up until about 1980, we toughed it out with whatever lightweight stuff we could find and hoped to hell we didn't get killed in the process. Shit, I remember wearing Converse hightops for Dall sheep hunts and sleeping under Visqueen, eating C-rations and sleeping in GI feather mummy bags back in the 1960's, just to try and cut weight. Nowadays these pussies on internet bitch about not having all the namebrand equipment and such - it's nauseating.

Marble

WKR
Thanks for the advice fellas, I think truck camping would prob be best for first trip out. Sleep in truck/ tent and head out in mornings. Anybody care to share a few things you’ve leaned over the years that somebody in my journey may not have enough experience to know?I know as with anything the best way to learn is jump in and learn from mistakes. But does anyone have any tips to shorten the learning curve?
Experience is the best teacher.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mustang50

FNG
I would suggest camping in your backyard for a night before you head out into the field. You will get a better idea of what things you need and what you can leave at home.