Advice on a cheaper raft?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, I have a dilemma. Got a really nice bear spotted but it is across a river. It is very shoot able but retrieving it may be an issue with some fairly swift running water. Anyone got advice on a cheaper raft? Amazon has some but they look really cheap. Oh, and one other thing........has to be pack able down a canyon. Plan is to pack it down, blow it up and cross.

Randy

PNWGATOR

WKR
Don’t skimp buddy, especially if swift water is a potential especially under a heavy load. Couple of options come to mind. First, an inflatable pontoon with an aluminum rowing frame, good oarlocks and good oars. Perhaps one of the higher end single person fly fishing pontoons. Second, and I have no first hand experience, one of the Alpaca pack rafts with the appropriate paddle. Just not sure how much and what type of swift water you’re dealing with. Third, a legit whitewater set up, be it raft or cataraft. Anyone local you could borrow a boat from? I’d loan you one of mine, but there is a spring bear hunt in the making and the boats are gonna be integral in making it happen.
P.S. Regardless of what you choose WEAR a PFD please.

carter33

WKR
PR49 comes to mind. Pristine ventures, may be able to find a used one or one on discount during show season.

Depends on how intense the river is and how “packable” were talking. I have an intex mariner 4 ($200) that I fish out of and it’s been awesome. It’s sturdier than the average cheap raft but not quite whitewater raft sturdy. It’s got good oarlocks and a hard bottom you can stand up in. I’ve packed it maybe a mile to fish but I used a deer cart.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was one I was looking at. Basically, I would have to hike down into a canyon and then find a calmer place to cross. The river is class V but lots of stretches are calm but at this time of year the water is fast moving. It's also not that far across, maybe 50 to 100 yards or so.

Randy

The raft is probably 60lbs the floor is another 75 or so. I think you can use it without the floor. If you wanted it to use for fishing and stuff then I’d say go for it, I’m stoked with mine especially for the price. Just for hunting maybe it’s not worth it Idk

bcimport

WKR
You need to find a used Alpacka scout packraft. They’re built exactly for what you want to do 4# plus a paddle and roll up to the size of an inflatable sleeping pad.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sounds like a perfect situation for an alpaca scout. My wife has one and I use it for stuff like you are talking about.

I second the tube idea!
But what about a raft for you and a tube or similar that you could put the bear in and pull across with 100' of rope?
It would at least take a fair bit of weight out of the raft you are in.

bmf0713

WKR
Klymit litewater dinghy. I just bought one to mess around with. Seems pretty durable. Only $100. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet.