Advice on cutting a Stove Jack

LaGriz

WKR
Cutting an opening for the 1st time in a stove jack.. The angle of the fabric will be near 45 degrees. Stove pipe is be 3'' in diameter. do I cut an X in the material or a triangle? What is the correct method to do this? looking to have the least amount of rain intrusion and still have some support for the pipe.

LaGriz

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cut it like pie or pizza slices it'll seal up around the pipe easier and give you adaptability to use a smaller pipe if desired. Do NOT cut a circle or oval hole in your jack. I just start with a circle shape, do an X cut, then slice each quarter again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I did the same thing but bought one of these. We had water running in the tent the first time and then with this thing it was dry inside. Its aluminum so it flexes and you can stuff it in the stove with the pipe, If its dry where you camp I would not worry about it.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did the same thing but bought one of these. We had water running in the tent the first time and then with this thing it was dry inside. Its aluminum so it flexes and you can stuff it in the stove with the pipe, If its dry where you camp I would not worry about it.
Looks heavy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use one of your ring and trace a circle. Then make 4 equal diameter cuts. Errect the tent and stove where it will be placed and adjust the cuts as needed. DO NOT REMOVE THE PIE PIECES, they divert rain.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
L

LaGriz

WKR
Thank You for the input.

Where does one find this item? What is it called? In my full size tent I will be using a 4" pipe thru a 5" stove jack. If this can be adapted in that application, it solves another issue for my Alakank tent.

LaGriz

Give Alaska Tent and Tarp, or Seek Outside a call and buy one that they sell, which ever will work best for your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is one from Home Depot but you can go into most hardware stores or plumbing supplies to get them. On our tent there was a flap coming down from the top and we were able to slide the roof jack underneath. Not a drop came in. The jack is silicone and stretches tight around the pipe. This link is a generic example go in and take a look at them for sizing. Use a sharp razor and cut one size smaller than your pipe remembering it will be on an angle when installed but they are super flexible. We did not need to attach ours because it slid under the flap like a shingle. You could buy a second jack and cutout the collar and put it on the inside and screw them together if the flap thing is not an option.

Last edited:

11boo

WKR
Thank You for the input.

Where does one find this item? What is it called? In my full size tent I will be using a 4" pipe thru a 5" stove jack. If this can be adapted in that application, it solves another issue for my Alakank tent.

LaGriz
There are several on Amazon. Stove jack kit.