Advice on Dating as a hunter

go_deep

WKR
Don't hold anything back, be you the whole time. I dated a couple bitches in college that wanted me to skip hunting and fishing trips, that ended poorly. Also if you're getting serious with one, don't let her move into the house until after hunting season, buddy found his girlfriend getting it on with a frat guy when he got back early from an elk hunt.

I have 4 kids and hunt 30+ days a year, one thing I do to make that work is clearly communicate with my wife. If possible I call my wife every day I'm out, even if it's only for 5 minutes, it goes a long ways in keeping her happy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
This was posted in the women's forum, and the OP is a woman...

The amount of people that just want to give their 2 cents without having a clue what they're responding to is insane!

To the OP, there's great guys out there. Just keep on keeping on with life, it might take longer than you'd like, but it'll happen. Don't compromise who you are for someone else, doesn't do him or you any favors in the long run.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

The amount of people that just want to give their 2 cents without having a clue what they're responding to is insane!

To the OP, there's great guys out there. Just keep on keeping on with life, it might take longer than you'd like, but it'll happen. Don't compromise who you are for someone else, doesn't do him or you any favors in the long run.
This may be the most self absorbed group of guys I’ve even seen anywhere lol. It’s crazy here.

Maki35

WKR
Believe it or not there are a lot of guys that would love a girlfriend/ wife with your abilities... "extremely passionate about the outdoors, makes knives, do taxidermy, and tie flies". I think that's pretty cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if you find someone in college.
Everyone is different. If the guy you're dating gets turned off by your passion for the great outdoors, then he's not the one for you. Don't let anyone stop you from being you/ doing what you enjoy.

WRO

WKR

Sorry, taptatalk doesn't really tell you what forum very easily..

Goes the same women though..

If they won't accept you for you and want to change your lifestyle early GTFO.

Poser

WKR
Sorry, taptatalk doesn't really tell you what forum very easily..

Goes the same women though..

If they won't accept you for you and want to change your lifestyle early GTFO.

Yeah, same for me. Tapatalk doesn’t clearly organize by sub forum names. My bad. I’ll leave my comment up for posterity, though.

Reactions: WRO

Moserkr

WKR
Guys don’t listen, and it looks like only half actually read. But men usually think with their little head though so…

When I was in high school we had a motivational speaker come in. He talked about living in a van down by the river…
Joking. It was about dating, and his advice was one word - NEXT. Put yourself out there and dont be afraid to move on to the next one!! As others said, be yourself obviously.

Met my wife through online dating and wish I would have done it earlier (not a hunter though, but supports me). Purely by the numbers, it raises your odds of a good match by 100x. Up to you how you want to play your online cards but odds are in your favor as a woman, and you can weed out guys pretty quick. Be judgmental, and prepared for dick pics (so ive heard).

For online dating, I found simple is best. Meet for a quick drink, coffee, beer, whatever, and see how the chemistry is in person. It can be way different online. Then NEXT!! Either another date or different person. Its that easy. Blind(ish) dates are kinda fun too if you have that next mentality. I didnt give 2 _____ if the girl didnt like me for me. Next!!

Besides that, you’re a hunter. Use your instincts, let the worries go, and start hunting your man! In the forest may work too…

After I was engaged to my now wife, was hunting elk in the woods in oregon with my buddy. Hanging out in camp midday and this cute blond girl decked out in full camo comes out of the woods, straight up to me, and strikes up a convo about how she loves hunting. Im pretty friendly and like to talk, so people say, and my buddy is just laughing at me behind her back as she straight up hits on me. Im not that kinda guy, being engaged, but man God has a sick sense of humor. - Point of that story is dont be afraid to make the first move too. Even strong guys find confidence attractive. Thats all I got. I live vicariously through others now. Good luck!

No life partner would ever ask you to be someone you’re not. Go forth, be who you are, and live it. You only get one ride in this rock. You need to live it every minute, with no regrets.

OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
Thank y’all so, so much!!! I can’t respond to everyone individually, (I don’t want to clog the thread) but know that I’ve read everything and really appreciate it! I don’t have a lot of experience in the world as a whole and I think I started wigging myself out that I was going to have to re-rig my personality and interests to find someone to settle down with. I see now that I was probably getting ahead of myself and that there are people out there who aren’t intimidated by a woman who loves the outdoors. I needed to hear that. Thank y’all! I appreciate it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
OP, women like us can be VERY intimidating to men...but the good ones will find that aspect attractive, rather than off-putting. Your task after meeting someone who doesn't find you too intimidating is to weed out the guys who think way too much of themselves. It can be tough.

I’m glad that was your experience too and it’s not just me. : ) That makes sense about weeding out people who are too full of themselves. I suppose that’s the risk you run when you are trying to find people who aren’t easily intimidated. Thank you!

TSAMP

WKR
So this may go against some above advice. But I don't think there is anything wrong with "easing" into it. No need to sit down and just start hammering em about hunting. Learn about each other in tandem and organically. No reason someone should know all there is about you before you them. NEXT is good and all but it isn't a race here. My lady knew I hunted. But didn't realize just how much till she came over and saw the walls, now it's just common knowledge.

The whole accept me as me is great and all but it may be alot for someone to take in. So I'll finish with a quote from the great Ronnie Dunn.

Don't be ashamed of what your proud of.

OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
So this may go against some above advice. But I don't think there is anything wrong with "easing" into it. No need to sit down and just start hammering em about hunting. Learn about each other in tandem and organically. No reason someone should know all there is about you before you them. NEXT is good and all but it isn't a race here. My lady knew I hunted. But didn't realize just how much till she came over and saw the walls, now it's just common knowledge.

The whole accept me as me is great and all but it may be alot for someone to take in. So I'll finish with a quote from the great Ronnie Dunn.

Don't be ashamed of what your proud of.

That’s fair, I see what you are saying. The outdoors is very important to me, but it’s not the sum total of my character. I also don’t intend to bombard someone with this right off the bat, but they can’t know me well without knowing about it. I meant more as a general thing down the line. That’s also a good quote. This is good advice too, I think. Thank you.

Knew my wife since the third grade, grew up just down the road from each other, been married for going on 46 years, built a good life together, I guess our first official date was spend behind a .222 Remington in a field hunting ground hogs, let her know of my passion for the outdoors and hunting, let her know there was another mistress in my life and it was the search for wild places and hunting the game animals which lived there. My advice too you is stay off dating sites, my best friend has a wife he met on one and she totally is a bozo when it comes too the hunting and such, Take your time young lady, enjoy your passions, finish you college, it will come too you one day and you will know when Mr. right is standing in front of you.

As a test when you chat ask for a picture of their backpack. That will tell you a lot. Remember though, you might find someone who knows less than you, doesn't mean they won't be a good partner.
Lol "That ain't no kifaru." *Swipes left*

Edit: I've been in Colorado for two weeks. And decided to mess with the dating apps. They're pretty damn annoying, and everyone seems pretty generic.
Just be you no matter what.
We live in a world where everyone puts on a facade for validation.

Last edited:

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
As a man dating women throughout my 20's and now 30's, I can offer a few observations and advice. I've found, in general, women tend to age and mature a lot around 24-28 y.o, and their personalities tend to be pretty stable after that (men, 30's on up, or never). Allow yourself to take these years to figure out yourself, address some insecurities, make mistakes, meet lots of people, and consider world views outside your own. To me, the most important qualities in a partner are kindness, intelligence, friendly, and capable with life skills. My advice, man to woman, is allow yourself to grow freely while nurturing these positive traits. Don't discriminate against others or put people down, be friends with anyone, and be kind and respectful to everyone. Most importantly, respect yourself. Don't put up with a man who doesn't treat you with kindness and love and respect that you show others. If you think you love someone and want to marry them within a year, don't. Re-evaluate your relationship with honesty after a year and don't be afraid to move on. There's a difference between love and lust/infatuation. Allow yourself to feel those emotions, but don't mistake or be consumed by them. Those feelings eventually pass and you can look at things more objectively with time. Trust your friends and family; they can see whether or not you're in a healthy relationship, and they're almost always right. Men will flock to you if you're a high value woman who treats everyone (not just people you're attracted to) with kindness... but don't give guys the wrong signals and make them think you're interested if you're not. Guys are stupid and obviously can't read the situation.

Besides that, date lots of people, be friends with even more people, and enjoy a world full of people without expectations. Make yourself beautiful and the world will reflect that.

Bcleck90

WKR
“Settle down with” should be “enjoy life with”. Don’t settle for anything and be who you want to be. I feel sad for a lot of folks who just settle and take what they’re given. Go be you and the rest will work itself out. You don’t sound like you need a man and for a good one that is one of the most attractive qualities.