Advice on fishing excursion while on Alaskan Cruise.

aggieland

WKR
My family has an Alaskan cruise set for late June and will be visiting the inside passage. Juneau, Skagway, etc. Trip Will include my wife two boys ages 9 & 10 and I. We love fishing just wondered if anyone here has tried it or works/lives in the area. Thanks for any advice, Casey.

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
I did a Alaska Cruise some years back. Did a Fishing excursion while at port in Ketchikan. Don't remember the name of the fishing outfitter but it was one of the best experiences I had while in Alaska. Guide took us out in the boat bottom fishing for Halibut and Rockfish. Once we had some fish caught the Guide motored about the backside of this Island and stopped the boat and motor. He then took the smallest Rockfish we had caught out of the cooler, and called down a Bald Eagle from it nest to the boat. Just as the Eagle was bout 10-feet from the Boat he threw the Rockfish up in the air and we all watched the Eagle grab it right over our heads about 5 feet way. Was one of the most Majestic things I've ever seen, I'll never forget it.

Then we motored over to another Island and checked some preset Crab Traps (your Alaskan Fishing License) you need to buy allows you 5-crab traps per person as well. Once to the Island there were about 10-women on shore and had a makeshift camp setup for our fresh shore lunch, they cleaned some of our Rockfish, Halibut and crabs and also had Fresh Alaskan Blueberrie Pies cooking. I'll never forget that fishing excursion. It was a blast.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Sounds awesome, I dont think we will be in Ketchikan for some reason. But sounds like it's going to be a fun trip.

I’ve been 2x. I just brought a Shakespeare 5’ collapsable ultralight. Caught pinks for hours with several different purple spinners. A very low budget route, but I caught fish for hours till Igot bored.

There is a significant charter industry set up around the cruise ships. Salmon fishing is just starting to pick up, should be going full speed in late June. Several different trips you can take, bottom fishing for rock fish and “ butts” trolling for kings and silvers, or up into the intertidal estuaries casting for giant Dolly Varden and the first arriving salmon.
I know a couple of guides down there, they are on their way up here to fish Rainbows with me next week. I’ll be back in town in a week, shoot me a PM and I’ll have a couple names for you then.

I did the Alaskan cruise last September, it was awesome. FYI when you go to Skagway I highly recommend the atv tour up in the Yukon Territory, you end up doing it in Canada but it is really beautiful they take you way up to the top of the mountains and you can glass mountain goats and see some beautiful high mountain lakes. As far as fishing goes my wife and I went on an excursion out of Ketchikan and caught some lingcod it was fun. There are dozens of charters there to choose from, just be careful with timing getting on and off the boat with your excursions, some push the limits on timing.

My buddy who guides down there just left my place, Bear Creek Outfitters in Juneau. His name is Mark. They are well dialed in on serving the cruise ships. You’ll have lots of options in late June, good luck have fun.
Don

The cruise lines usually have discounted charters for their guests. Weather's the big thing impacting fishing there.

dv808

FNG
I believe the King salmon fishery is closed for this year due to low numbers. We were supposed to go up this month but postponed our trip til next year. Hopefully the numbers rebound.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

kpc03qb

FNG
Nice! I am sure you will be stopping in Juneau; Right in time for Kings which the season is on there. Juneau is tiny, there is like only 20 some miles of road, with easy access to the mouths of numerous creeks. Totally realistic to sneak off and fish for a day/few hours, etc if you wanna do the low budge route.

From the times I have visited my brother-in-law while he was stationed in Juneau for the Coast Guard, I used the local fly shop there, owner is Brad, they were very helpful. They also have a weekly fishing report https://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com/juneau-fishing-reports/fishing-report-6-13-19 .

But honestly a lot of these spots are right off the road, super easy access.

As far as spots I like, Sheep Creek (Kings), Lena Cove (kings) , Echo Cove, Salmon Creek (Dollies), Peterson creek (steelhead, run is prolly over by now)

Some people in Juneau might mention you to go to false outer point on Douglas Island; Don't waste your time, it can be an absolute zoo for just a chance to catch a hatchery King.

Whatever route you choose, Have fun! and Don't forget to visit Alaska Brewing Company!

CHSD

WKR
We fished with Ear Mountain Charter out of Hoonah last summer. Was a great experience. My wife caught a 48" halibut and I caught a bunch of small ones. We saw a bunch of whales close to our boat. Our arms where so sore from fishing the night after. It was one if the highlights of our cruise!

Enjoy your cruise. Our Alaskan cruise was the best trip I've ever been on!

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Another question. I have a set of swarovski 15 x 56 that will be making the trip. What about the 95mm btx? Should I bring it as well???

lak2004

WKR
Just out of curiosity, when on an Alaskan cruise, do you keep your catch?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

CHSD

WKR
Just out of curiosity, when on an Alaskan cruise, do you keep your catch?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Our guide said we could keep our halibut if we wanted. The kicker was it either had to be smaller than 25 inches or bigger than something like 80 inches. We caught a bunch of smaller ones we could have kept but we could only keep one and if we kept that one we would be done fishing for the day. We decided that if we caught one later in the day we would keep it but that never panned out.