Advice on GPS/ SOS/ Text message unit

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I got a question, I'm looking for a GPS unit that I can text the wife on and let her know i'm ok when i'm a few miles deep. Do you guys have any suggestions that wont break he bank to bad and that works good? Thank you I appreciate the feedback -Will

Ruskin

WKR
Any of the 3 Garmin inreach units will work. The new smaller mini paired to a smart phone is a great option.

You can also buy a used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
+1 on an inReach. They are awesome. I've had an older SE model for several years now. The newer ones are nice but with an older SE that you can probably find pretty cheap and your phone as your GPS, you are set. I sold mine earlier in the fall for $150 so you can find them cheap.

I don't think the newer models still have enough "GPS" where they could stand alone so you are bringing your phone or a separate GPS anyway. They are getting there though. If I would have had a hunt this year, I would have looked at a mini or the new Explorer. I'm still holding out for something that is just a bit better and that has the option to pop in a AA battery in case you need an emergency bump in power.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
and that has the option to pop in a AA battery in case you need an emergency bump in power.

At this point I don't have any AA stuff in my gear anymore (AAA for headlamp and that funky range finder batter) and have ditched the AA and if the hunt warrants it toss in a battery pack to charge my phone and inreach (which has good battery capacity already). Took me a bit to get to that mindset but I don't see a reason to look back for all the hunt situations I currently get into.

Nuch21

FNG
I agree with getting a Garmin unit. Have an in reach explorer and haven't had any issues with it. Its good piece of mind for my and works well.

weaver

WKR
I have the older orange inreach and it does everything I need it to do.
Has worked well from Alaska to Arizona.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Hoss

FNG
I have been using the Delorme (now Garmin) Inreach SE for multiple years now and find it excellent for texting with the wife. If your hunting partner has one you can also text Inreach-to-inreach when no cell service is available at either end. I have a second unit for my wife for when we are camped in the mountains at a base camp and I am out all day hunting or even a bivy overnight and she is back at the camper. With her health I need to be sure she can reach me in case I need to get back and take her into a doc. Paired wth a cell phone makes typing super easy but not needed. Takes a little longer using the curser to spell out words if not paired.

I use the fredom plans that allow you to suspend your device and not get charged every month if not using. They also allow unlimited sending of 3 different pre-set messages for free. If you choose you pre-sets well you can check in everything is OK or Moved camp to new spot, etc. for free!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add the used SE’s are going for around 130-190 on ebay depending on condition. Also if you buy a used one make sure the unit is no longer on the owner’s Service Plan (Cancel Service must be performed) and has been Facory Reset. See here https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=Mot3ht8UMb31d93oYWCni5 otherwise Garmin will not allow you to activate it on your account using its IMEI number. Ask me how I know!,

Usually this is because the original owner simply “Suspended” the device on his account so as not to accrue monthly charges but as far as Garmin can tell he still owns the device and will not let its IMEI change accounts in case it was stolen or lost. Safest way to avoid problems is to buy from ads where it is the original/current owner is selling it. Otherwise you could get stuck with an unusable unit.

In my case the original owner quickly logged into his account confirming he had simply suspended it and he immediately canceled service for it. Garmin’s website then immediately let me activate it on my account with its IMEI.

Only downside is some risk that Garmin will not continue to support these older units sometime in the future. For the money i am saving over two sat phones I am willing to assume that risk.

Jimss

WKR
InReach has worked well for me. It's nice having a piece of mind that it works when you are out in the boonies and not able to get iPhone access. I often also carry my gps when using OnX Maps, etc. It would be nice if InReach was capable of using OnXMaps so you didn't need to carry a regular GPS. I usually get the monthly Freedom plan so I don't get charged the months I don't use it.

huntdoc

FNG
Had trouble with some messages taking until next day to be received by hunting partner on his phone (Inreach to phone), not sure why. Otherwise has been great for piece of mind.