Advice on hunting in Croatia

Hey y’all,

I plan to attend an upcoming deer biology conference in Osijek, Croatia in early September. I am looking for any and all advice about what hunting in Croatia entails. If needed, I am more than willing to travel to another part of the country for better hunting opportunities.

Do you have to be guided? What are the regulations on meat transfer back to the states? What are the rifle restrictions like in Croatia? What is pricing like for various game species over there? Are there any species I could hunt on my own for free? How much public land is in Croatia?

Thanks so much in advance and I am excited to hear some feedback!

I'm interested in this, why are you going to attend a conference in Croatia on deer biology? Definitely didn't expect to see a post like this today. But, I do remember seeing red stag hunts for only like 2500 dollars in one of those Balkan states, don't remember which one.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Wife keeps wanting to go back to Europe somewhere.
I told her I must hunt something next time.
Sounds interesting.

If you can stick around till October it’ll be fresh olive oil and truffle season. Croatia is one of the best places I’ve ever been.

Mt Al

WKR
There's a short Croatia hunting thread on accuratereloading.com, go to the European Big Game Hunting section and you'll see it. Hope it helps.

Squincher

WKR
Big game hunting in continental Europe, outside of Scandinavia, usually involves some sort of official being present who has the authority over whether or not to shoot a particular animal. The entire process of the hunt is more formalized than we're used to, and it is worth the experience if you get the chance.