Advice on new release

Looking at upgrading my release. I believe it’s an older tru fire palm style. I like the fact it’s got an adjustable trigger pull but the fact that it must be on at all times and it’s very bulky in the palm area is a pain. Looking for something for a backcountry type hunt, doesn’t get in the way while hunting. I’ve always used index releases but I’d be up for something different if there is better options for this style of hunting. Any and all advice is welcomed. Thanks!

I made the switch to a hand held release a few years ago and really like it, carter evolution. You just keep it in your jack pocket and it’s never in the way. You can also tie a piece of p cord to it and connect it to a wrist strap and where it that way if you want but then it’s always dangling from your wrist. Spot Hogg wise guy has a cool feature where it folds down under your wrist so that it stays contained real well, I personally don’t like the release though, very light trigger.

nphunter

WKR
I also switched to a handheld a few years back and can’t imagine going back. For walking around and hunting it’s so nice to be able to switch layers, wear gloves, take a leak or a dump and not have to worry about a release in one way. Even just the fact that you don’t have a sweaty wrist all days is great. I’ve had zero issues since switching and black my handheld in my zip pocket in my pants until I need it and then it goes in the front pocket. I’ve killed 3 bulls and a buck since switching and have never had an issue getting the release out in time. I’ve even had to make a follow up shot after missing with no issues.
I also shoot carter releases, I hunt with a wise choice but hunted with a simple one for a while which was also great. I don’t think a person can go wrong with any carter release.
When hunting with a strap i used a Scott Silverhorn which was a hook style which was great. The one Zac posted above is similar and looks like a great choice.

Zac im glad to here that,i just got one this week,ill wait till season is over to try it.My buddys who shoot alot and one who has for shot bows for 30 years shoots the execute and told me i should try the execution.

Reactions: Zac

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I suffer from target panic from time to time but it got horrible a couple years ago. I made the switch to thumb buttons and settled on the Carter wise choice. Can’t even imagine going back to index’s. Now my shot process is so automatic even typing about it makes me a bit nervous lol.

Reactions: Zac

Rob5589

WKR
Truball Execution is the best index on the market.
How so? Looks interesting from what I found online. I'd like to find something I can shorten moreso than my Scott and that looks like it could work.

I just switched to the thumb style nock-on. I tried working through target panic issues with the silverback, however the one I had was not consistent with the tension release. It varied in poundage quite a bit from shot to shot. I sent it back and they refunded my money.

I have shot bows for over 30 years, in fact well before they even had releases. These new style of releases were a learning curve for me. Having said that I'm glad I switched over.
I originally set my new bow up for a wrist strap, index style release and had to change everything with the thumb style, the peep etc are all different between those 2 type releases.

So no easy back up release options for me now.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
I made the switch to a hand held release a few years ago and really like it, carter evolution. You just keep it in your jack pocket and it’s never in the way. You can also tie a piece of p cord to it and connect it to a wrist strap and where it that way if you want but then it’s always dangling from your wrist. Spot Hogg wise guy has a cool feature where it folds down under your wrist so that it stays contained real well, I personally don’t like the release though, very light trigger.
This is my favourite wrist release on the market. Man I was deadly with that release. I have since followed suit with the crowd and jumped to a handheld release. Started with a nock 2 i, which I wanted to love, but I could not get use to the two finger design. Bought an Ultraview HIng in Brass, it was way to small in the hand or at least felt like it. I also didn't like the noise it made and now have moved onto a tru ball goat, which I am madly in love with. I lost the first one on day four (it, fell out of my bino harness somewhere btw me packing up at the range and home. i bought a new one and found a used one on sale so I now have a matching back-up.

Zac

WKR
How so? Looks interesting from what I found online. I'd like to find something I can shorten moreso than my Scott and that looks like it could work.
Paige Pierce shot one during competition. She purchased every high end index release on the market. Ripped them apart and interviewed the engineers. She says this is the only release that was on par with high end hand helds. Gillingham shoots the father of this release, the Execute. That is a caliper instead of a hook. Hook just makes D loop engagement quicker for hunting scenarios.

buggz

FNG
I never liked the wrist style releases, soo alien, never used them.
I have always used a handheld index release made by Scott.
Loved it.

However, last month I have changed to a handheld "thumb" release, Stan SX3.
After getting accustomed to it, two weeks?
I absolutely prefer this one.
It is soo much more natural.
You pull through the shot to release instead of punching a trigger.
I love it.

The Scott handheld is now for recurve use only.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Carter RX 1 for an index release. I put the heaviest spring in and it allows me to pull through my shot. I recently bought a hinge to help work on some target panic issues, but I don't think it will ever replace the RX 1 for hunting situations. Tree stand hunting, I put it on and the truck and take it off when I get back. Never have to worry about where it is. Elk hunting I put it on in the morning and strap it around my limb when I'm done at night. Makes it real easy to keep track of.

Zac

WKR
I never liked the wrist style releases, soo alien, never used them.
I have always used a handheld index release made by Scott.
Loved it.

However, last month I have changed to a handheld "thumb" release, Stan SX3.
After getting accustomed to it, two weeks?
I absolutely prefer this one.
It is soo much more natural.
You pull through the shot to release instead of punching a trigger.
I love it.

The Scott handheld is now for recurve use only.
You put a D loop on your recurve?