Advice on sleeping bag and sleep pad upgrade

Smokey12

I am planning a backpacking trip in Colorado for the 2nd deer season at 7,000 to 10k ft. I am using a floorless tipi with a stove. My sleeping bag is a 2012 mountain hardware synthetic 0 degree bag. It weighs around 3 lbs 9 oz. I know I need a new sleep pad for winter camping. I am upgrading to a thermarest xtherm. Should I upgrade my sleeping bag or run what I have? I am thinking the hot tent will be more than warm enough to use what I have. I have backpacked many times with a regular tent into the 30-40s with a one man tent , same bag and r value 1 sleep pad. Thanks for any advice.

WRM

Upgrade to ditch some weight. Try a quilt--you'll be plenty warm on the xtherm, particularly with a hot tent. I like the EE Enigma 10 degree.

Turkeygetpwnd38

You are good to go with what you have. You could always upgrade to a good zero degree down bag and shave some weight/add some warmth.

A word of advice, unless you want to be up all night stoking it, take enough bag for the weather without consideration of stove. Stove is for drying out and knocking chill off.

OP
Smokey12

Smokey12

Thanks for the advice. I used a stove one time in an alaknak tent and it was a pain waking up every 2 to 3 hours. This time it will be with two others hopefully a better experience.

crazydocB

I am planning a backpacking trip in Colorado for the 2nd deer season at 7,000 to 10k ft. I am using a floorless tipi with a stove. My sleeping bag is a 2012 mountain hardware synthetic 0 degree bag. It weighs around 3 lbs 9 oz. I know I need a new sleep pad for winter camping. I am upgrading to a thermarest xtherm. Should I upgrade my sleeping bag or run what I have? I am thinking the hot tent will be more than warm enough to use what I have. I have backpacked many times with a regular tent into the 30-40s with a one man tent , same bag and r value 1 sleep pad. Thanks for any advice.
Last year we hit some really bad weather for 2nd rifle in the park range at 8500ft. Temps were around -15° for three straight mornings, with 20in of snow falling the first day. Whatever you bring, be prepared to deal with adverse conditions.

sneaky

Thanks for the advice. I used a stove one time in an alaknak tent and it was a pain waking up every 2 to 3 hours. This time it will be with two others hopefully a better experience.
If YOU stoke the fire once, they'll expect you to take care of it. Synthetic loses a lot of loft and warmth over the years, degrades a lot faster than down. It's your money, but I'd get a new bag that's capable of handling the temps when the fire goes out. Those titanium stoves don't hold heat at all. They're a before you go to sleep, and when you wake up kind of deal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike Islander

A word of advice, unless you want to be up all night stoking it, take enough bag for the weather without consideration of stove. Stove is for drying out and knocking chill off.

I personally don't even think about stoking the fire in my Redcliff all night. Too much lost sleep and firewood processing, even if the other guys are supposed to do it. Get a bag that will keep you warm without the fire. Use the stove to warm up in the mornings and to warm up and dry out your stuff in the evenings.

Bambistew

I used to have problems and use the silicone trick. It works pretty well but if you do both sides it's stupid loud squeaking on the tent bottom. I switched to a neoair, no silicone or slipping and sliding since.