Advice on tent situation

Elkhntr08

WKR
Not a real catchy title, but looking for sound advice.
Looking at a new tent situation. I hunt S Colorado and S Wyoming. Spring bear and fall elk.
At 59, my sleep is important to me.
I don’t mind getting wet during the day, but would like to be able to dry out a little at night.
Mainly hunt solo, but might be joined by my son from time to time.
Weight is a factor. Setup and take down too. May hunt for a few days then move on. A week to 10 days at a time in the tent, then back to the camper to recharge and resupply.
After reading a lot here and doing research, I’ve narrowed my choice down to a SO LBO with vestibule and tarp. Maybe add a nest cause I’m not fond of bugs. Add a stove and I think I’m set.
Am I on the right path, is my thinking sound? Looking for something that will last me the next 10 years or until the body gives out.
Should I be looking at something else?
Thanks for any advice.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Do you want a tent that you can stand up in? That may change your choices a bit. The LBO is a versatile shelter setup, but not tall enough to stand in. Definitely better than a regular tent setup though. The stove is a game changer in the late season

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think you are on the right track. It's a nice modular system and can easily handle you in a solo set-up, saving weight, and your son with an add-on. But, as sneaky above said, you will not be able to stand up in it. I can handle not standing up in early season with fair weather. But, when the weather moves in, I NEED a tent I can stand up in, along with heat.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like SO shelters. I have the Silvertip, but have not used the LBO, so I'm not much help there. However, I think anything from SO is a solid choice given what you are looking for. Really just comes down to which design you prefer.

rayporter

WKR
standing might not be a deal breaker now but in a few years it may be a deal breaker.

floors and nests and such are not necessary, standing is.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered a Cimarron from Seek? I can't remember the weight of an LBO but can't imagine with base/tarp/vestibule that it's much or any lighter. The reason I suggest the Cim is ease of set up. I had an LBO and fiddle factory is definitely there. The Cim is the Swiss Army knife of all my shelters. If weight is a major concern you could always opt for the DCF version. At 1.5lbs it's hard to beat the size to weight ratio.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Cim is simpler to setup, but standing height is no better than the LBO really. BTB LBO has more square footage, but for standing shelters a 4 man, or Redcliff, are better options.

Do you want a tent that you can stand up in? That may change your choices a bit. The LBO is a versatile shelter setup, but not tall enough to stand in. Definitely better than a regular tent setup though. The stove is a game changer in the late season

Which is exactly why I went with Kifaru Sawtooth.
Palace for one
Spacious for two... both with stove

Or three without. I’m excited to be able to put my pants on standing up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
Have you spoken with the folks at SO and told them your intended use? I think it would be worth your time to not only call them with a list of questions, but also email them as well. Odds are you will get opinions from two different people and it will give you a broader perspective. I've called them twice now and have been back and forth with emails with a third rep. Being able to weigh the different perspectives has really been helpful.

OP
Elkhntr08

Elkhntr08

WKR
I have not talked with them yet.
After more research last night, plans have changed.
For $200 less and about the same weight, I can get the 4 man tipi.
It will give me room to stand in, a bigger plus than I first thought. A little more useable room, a plus.
Only downside I can see, is it won’t be as versatile as the LBO, tarp and vestibule. It also won’t be that extra decision on what parts of the tent to take. Grab one and be done.
Now on to stove and new sleeping bag!

Voyageur

WKR
Which tarp were you initially planning on pairing with your LBO and how were you planning on using it?
Thanks.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Solid point.
Looking at the 4 man tipi again.

I've got the SO 4-man tipi, and it has been with me for remote pack-raft floats as well as two-week moose drop camps up here for the past four years. It is a solid shelter, well made, and has held well in some seriously nasty winds and rain. It is a perfect two-person shelter, and it often gets our vote each year as the trip MVP. My friend and hunting partner is 6'2, and I'm 5'10"...we both can stand-up in it just fine. I also have the SO titanium stove, which has come in handy, and it is a very welcomed part of the set-up in late season. For solo use it will a large/comfortable space for you, but you will likely not bring the stove assembly if you are moving and packing camp daily...maybe, but combined will take-up some space in your backpack.

SO is a great company!

Last edited:

CO-AJ

WKR
SO Cimarron, as mentioned above, is my swiss army knife tent as well. It does it all, I can stand in it, (i'm 5-11) I can use a carbon fiber center pole or trekking poles, I can drop a nest or liner in it, and it will take a variety of stove sizes. The quality of SO is absolute top notch and they are made in the USA. Sold.

Definitely Cimmaron based on your use case. Days at a time in a tent is soooo much better with room to stretch out even with all your gear inside.

6 lbs including a U-Turn stove. Add 10 oz if you order with screen doors. I have a nest for my Redcliff but would definitely prefer screen doors and having the whole tent bug free. But here in SC mosquitoes are inevitable. Maybe not so much of an issue in your area?

I love my eolus tent. But I think if you're good in a bivy or are just in an area where you don't have to work about bugs then I think its really hard to beat the cimmaron.

OP
Elkhntr08

Elkhntr08

WKR
Glad I’ve got time to think about the great advice from you guys.
Think I’ve settled on a Cimarron Light with screen door and half nest. Add a stove and I think I’ll be set.
Weight will be around 10# if I’m adding right. Should be plenty or room for me, gear and wood. Hoping it gives me some flexibility for warmer and colder hunts.