Advice on the switch..

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Been thinking a lot these days about learning to shoot a recurve. Just can’t get it out of my head.. anyways. Trying to get some advice. I shoot a right handed compound. But with a left eye dominance. I use one of those clip on hat things a lot. But just sick of it. Should I just go with a lefty recurve and just learn to do it that way? I’m fairly comfortable doing things left handed. I’m leaning that way. What’s your opinion? I don’t really know any shops around me that would specialize in traditional bows so looking for advice here. Thanks guys.

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, I say give that a try, get an ILF and then if it just isn't working out you could sell it and get a right handed riser. They have some pretty good deals on inexpensive ILF limbs and risers at rmsgear, don't know what they have in stock though, go real low poundage and if the funds are available, get Tom's Solid Archery Mechanics and watch through it before you even draw the bow back! Just looked and they have a lefty ILF riser for pretty cheap at rmsgear, couple hundred bucks and your could be into a good starter bow that you can grow with, it's a long Target riser but it will get you started.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah I would definitely be getting the video from Tom. What would be low poundage? 35 40? Or go lower.

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah I would definitely be getting the video from Tom. What would be low poundage? 35 40? Or go lower.
I wouldn't go below 30 and if you have decent form already you could probably go 35#. Call them first and make sure what length riser the limbs are rated on, get a Bateman 3 under tab with it and ask them what arrows you need. Ask them to pick out the thickest tab on the shelf too is my advice, then once you have all that stuff, stop listening to me and hit up the other guys that shoot ILF with a 3 under grip and use point on aiming, it really is the way to start and a superior way to aim, but I've just been doing it split finger instinctive for so long it feels really weird to me!

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the advice. I’ll check them out.

Or should I try and find a used let’s say wf 19 riser and pick up some light limbs that way I keep the same riser for a while?
my seasons still going for a while here so no time to start right now probably not till after the new yest

oldgoat

WKR
Thanks for the advice. I’ll check them out.

Or should I try and find a used let’s say wf 19 riser and pick up some light limbs that way I keep the same riser for a while?
my seasons still going for a while here so no time to start right now probably not till after the new yest
Nothing wrong with that! I'm a used bow buyer! Always more stuff coming up for sale right after the hunting seasons get over, but generally better prices to be had now, there's a left handed classifieds on archery talk!

Rob5589

WKR
A recurve bow is instinctive shooting. I shoot my recurve with both eyes open.
Compound bows uses a peep sight to see the pins.
Because I am also left eye dominate, but right handed. I learned to shoot left handed with a (LH) compound bow.
When I decided to get into recurve bows, I visited an archery/rental range and shot both left handed and right handed recurve bows with both eyes open and both yield the same results. I ended buying a right hand 40# recurve bow.
I suggest going somewhere to try both (right & left) and see which one you prefer.
Instinctive, gap, split vision, string walking, lots of ways to shoot a single string bow actually.

Kentucky

WKR
Been thinking a lot these days about learning to shoot a recurve. Just can’t get it out of my head.. anyways. Trying to get some advice. I shoot a right handed compound. But with a left eye dominance. I use one of those clip on hat things a lot. But just sick of it. Should I just go with a lefty recurve and just learn to do it that way? I’m fairly comfortable doing things left handed. I’m leaning that way. What’s your opinion? I don’t really know any shops around me that would specialize in traditional bows so looking for advice here. Thanks guys.
I shoot righty, left eye dominance, close left eye… worked tonight..

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to traditional 4 years ago. I was just like you, left eye dominant and grew up shooting a right hand compound. When I made the swap I went left handed. I was amazed at how easy it was.
One other note is that I started with a 50lb bow. If I had it to do over again I would start at 40lbs max.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
I switched to traditional 4 years ago. I was just like you, left eye dominant and grew up shooting a right hand compound. When I made the swap I went left handed. I was amazed at how easy it was.
One other note is that I started with a 50lb bow. If I had it to do over again I would start at 40lbs max.

Yeah I hear you. I’m not afraid and I think I’m leaning that way. Guess what I’m looking for is maybe that it’s a good decision and maybe someone wishing they would have I guess. My theory was im gonna learn to shoot something completely new might as well do it with my left eye.

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I hear you. I’m not afraid and I think I’m leaning that way. Guess what I’m looking for is maybe that it’s a good decision and maybe someone wishing they would have I guess. My theory was im gonna learn to shoot something completely new might as well do it with my left eye.
Best of luck with your journey! You really cant go wrong either way. I have zero regrets dropping the wheel bow.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the addiction. When I started I told my wife it would be a cheap hobby hahahaha. I'd second Tom's archery mechanics if you don't have access to a coach. I shoot right hand and right eye dominant so I'm not much help there but I shoot both eyes open.

I shoot a compound left handed due to an old injury. I just haven’t replaced it in 12 years, and can shoot it lights out. However, I’m right eye dominant. So when I got back into traditional (partly to strengthen my left shoulder some amd improve of the target) I shot right handed. I will tell you, there is no way I could shoot a trad how left handed well, even though I shoot very well with a compound.

I shoot with a guy who is left eye dominant, but right handed. He made a switch a couple years I. To shooting left handed… it took him some time, but he did get pretty accurate with it. He was a good shot right handed though too, and I haven’t seen him around in a while to see if the eye dominance has made a significant difference.

long winded, like usual from me. Hope those couple points help. And good luck, it’s a joy like no other in archery. I couldn’t care less if I touched my compound again. All the leagues i shoot, the couple trad guys have twice as much fun, though I’m not sure why that is… but over the last couple years I’ve definitely noticed it.

Blackcow

WKR
I’m left handed, right eye dominant. I switched 25 years ago. Do it. The hardest part for me was teaching my right hand to remove an arrow from the quiver and nock the damn thing. The shooting came easy and I shot better than ever.