Advice on This Year's Hunt - Unit 18 - Do I cancel?

Gila

WKR
Unless you hunt every year with the same group of 3-4 people, you will eventually be hunting alone. I am a firm believer of hauling a comfortable (warm) base camp as far in as I can with the side by. You can get a decent camp setup (cabin tent and woodstove) for about a thousand. Definitely want a 4x4 UTV for a rifle season if you can get one. I have a detachable snow blade for mine. You have an inreach so that base is covered. I've slept with a .45 for over 40 years now and have never used it yet. If you bought the tag then you want to hunt the unit so I say go for it!

OP
SeanDC

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
Are you going to be in pitch black conditions or have you checked the moon cycle for your hunt? You can always use the old school compass and protractor method for land navigation in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should be a half moon which would provide some light given its not cloudy. I mainly don't want to climb over deadfall with limited visibility. I understand that is unavoidable in this area, but just want to be smart.. Also looking for guidance on effective camping away from the truck.

I'm obviously very green.

Sent from my Note 10 using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Go hunt. By the second night you'll be too tired to worry about the dark! There is nothing out there at night that isn't there in the daytime.

I would spike camp. I much prefer a shorter walk in the morning and at night than having amenities at camp. Watch the weather closely, you can get dumped on with snow that time of year in the mtns. That will ruin a three season tent not rated for snow load. Good sleep system mountain house meals and something to boil water in is about all you need.

Gila

WKR
A green horn, solo, winter in the mountains doing a bivy camp isn't anything I would recommend. You will still need to walk a good distance UP in the dark. And a person still needs to understand where to pitch the tent to be safe. Things can turn to shit in a heartbeat out there in October. It can get really nasty even down here in So NM. A "newbie" solo could do a comfy base camp then bivy out a short distance from there to get the "hang" of it but I wouldn't do it alone. Hypothermia is your worst enemy. If you fall and break a bone and you are alone, that SOS button on the in-reach won't save you.

Last season I set-up a backpacking tent next to the UTV. That night the wind howled and it got into the teens. I had a good extreme tent and mummy bag and plenty of clothes for insulation but I was still cold. I fired up the Jetboil, had coffee and breakfast and went in for the hike. However I had walked that area at least a dozen times and it was level and had no obstacles. That afternoon i packed up and went home. Since I only lived an hour away I just got up early every morning. I was not willing to take a chance that I could get hypothermia out there by myself. The wife is more comfortable if I camp in a tent with a wood stove. Each to his own. If I am not comfortable while camping, I won't enjoy the hunt and the wife will worry.

P.S. headlamps are a good thing...you will want one if you shoot your elk at sunset.

Just fyi I was hunting 18 all last week the hunting pressure is nuts! Just a heads up.

OP
SeanDC

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
Just fyi I was hunting 18 all last week the hunting pressure is nuts! Just a heads up.

Thanks for the head up

Sent from my Note 10 using Tapatalk

Go hunt, have fun, and learn. Don't get caught up in the what if's.
You have a much better chance of getting smoked by a texting driver on your way home from work that attacked by a bear. Heck you have a better chance of crashing your ATV and doing real damage than getting attacked by a bear in Colorado.
18 is close to Denver, has a lot of pressure, but also has elk. Shoot the first legal elk you see. A 1-1/2 year old cow eats great and for a solo hunter makes the pack out much easier!
Use your in reach for weather reports, if it sound bad, move back towards your truck. 18 is not exactly the Bob Marshal wilderness, if you pack in 5 miles, you're two miles from the road on the other side.

Never pass up the chance for an adventure! Good luck!

def90

WKR
Us archers hunt solo all the time, no reason why you rifle hunters can’t. ;)

As for bears.. 2 weeks ago opening archery day I was up around treeline and decided to take a mid day nap on the edge of a treeline overlooking a downhill meadow. I suddenly woke up during a pretty vivid dream and sat up and let out a big yawn at which point I saw a big grayish/black blob just about 20 feet or so to my right. We both looked at each other for a few seconds and then the bear spun around and ran as fast as it could downhill and across the meadow. The thing made it 200 yds or so before I could get my cellphone camera out and open and by the time I did it was gone in to the trees.

I do carry a sidearm, not for 4 legged creatures but mor for the 2 legged type. Probably not needed during rifle season.

just get out and do it, push yourself and see what you are capable of.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone give any advice on sleeping outside solo at home before you leave. Might be good to spend a few nights outside in your tent on your own. Not the same, obviously, but might help you ramp up.

One other thing to be prepared for is poor air quality in unit 18. It looks like Granby and Hot Sulfur Springs are both being affected right now by fires to the west. It’s not in the hazardous level right now, but is thick enough to impact your glassing. Hopefully it clears before your season.

Gila

WKR
I am of the opposite mindset to not push oneself until a person understands what the limitations could be. The biggest problem with bears is accidentally running into a sow with cubs. Wolves and lions are opportunists though. They usually won't attack unless injured and starving. Young male lions are usually the most dangerous because the dominant males kick them out of their range. I wear a can of bear spray, just cheap insurance I suppose.