Advice on traditional muzzleloader

Legend

WKR
So i need to start with disclosing that I know nothing about muzzleloaders.

So the requirements I need to meet are as follows: It must use plain lead projectiles and a muzzleloading rifle that is charged with loose black powder, loose pyrodex, or an equivalent loose black powder substitute, and ignited by a flintlock, wheel lock, matchlock, or percussion mechanism using a percussion or musket cap.

So to break it down given the restrictions above:

1) Which ignition do you recommend?
2) Which powder?
3) Bullet type?

Or just tell me a muzzleloader or two.

Thanks!!

I don't have one yet, but have done a fair bit of research and I shoot BP out of my lever gun.

I would go with either a pedersoli or Lyman... A couple of the Lyman models are made by pedersoli. High quality.

For powder, BP all the way. It's less corrosive than pyrodex and 777 and you can clean it with water.

For projectiles, a lot of those guns are made for round ball, so if you shoot a conical or minie it's probably not going to stabilize it well. I can't remember the twists, but round ball twist is usually 55+ for 45cal and up (probably should double-check that)

For ignition, I'd go with flintlock so you can be completely independent of market madness. If you're ok with having do deal with caps, I'd go that route because they have more consistent ignition and you don't have to shield your pan if it's raining after loading the primer powder

When I eventually get one, I'll probably get the Lyman plains rifle. It's basically a flintlock hawken style gun.

CoHiCntry

WKR
If you’re looking for traditional muzzleloader advice, I’d try one of the traditional sites like muzzleloadingforum.com.

Squincher

WKR
I think a percussion Lyman Trade Rifle is about the best way to go for someone new to BP. You have enough to learn without trying to figure out how to make the gun go off. You can save that for when you move on to flintlocks.

Definitely use real black powder as long as you live somewhere it is reasonably easy to get. If you must use a substitute, percussion rifles are more dependable with them than anything else.

I've never shot anything but patched round balls. They are accurate and they kill deer well enough I never tried anything else.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sounds like you're looking for an Idaho legal setup. That's almost verbatim from the regs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Lyman Great Plains Hunter (fast twist barrel) in .50 cal percussion ignition. Shoot 400-500gr conicals and use FFg black powder if you can get it. Otherwise, Pyrodex RS.

Jeremy

Squincher

WKR
Lyman Great Plains Hunter (fast twist barrel) in .50 cal percussion ignition. Shoot 400-500gr conicals and use FFg black powder if you can get it. Otherwise, Pyrodex RS.

Jeremy

It looks like the Great Plains is the better way to go, as there don't seem seem to be any Trade Rifles available anywhere. I've had a couple of them and they are great rifles, if a bit longer and heavier than the Trade Rifle. As posted above, you also have the benefit of either a 1-32" barrel (Great Plains Hunter) for conicals and 1-66" (Great Plains Rifle) for round balls.

Find your self a T/C hawken or Renegade.
I use maxiballs over 70grs of FF goex black powder. This load has been used by my family for years and has killed everything from alligators to bison. 16274232770473328743642653039809.jpg16274233050932993351897669477158.jpg
Zero it at 100yards. It will be 4"high at 50 and 12" low at 200.
Personally I would keep shots 150 or less.

All the above are good choices. New there is Lyman and Pedersoli. Used from those or TC or the Cabelas ones are very solid as well (think they are Pedersoli). I've got a custom flint in 54 rifled for round, but if you're just trying to get the job as simply as possible then I'd recommend percussion and probably a conical of some sort. If you go conical I'd recommend a 50 and if round I'd lean more towards 54/58. They are pretty simple guns, so if you buy used, want to make sure the bore and flashhole are clean and rust free and you should be pretty safe. I think black powder performs as well and more reliably than the artificials, but it is slightly more corrosive (you need to clean well after then hunt or end of season) and sometimes can be hard to find.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
If you are shooting a traditional muzzleloader, keep it simple and traditional. Find a 54cal and shoot patched round balls. I know everyone out there makes it seem like you have to shoot plastic guns and copper, but its far from the truth.

You need to check your state laws ( let us know where you are hunting - state wise ) and then it will be much easier helping you along.

I strictly hunt with patched round balls, dressed up in leather, including my mocs. This year I'll be challenging myself even more with a smoothbore flintlock.

I like the traditional style muzzleloaders but the requirements you listed could also be met by a more modern muzzleloader as long as the ignition is capable of using No 11 caps. In that case you can look at any of the "Northwest" style muzzleloaders that were created to meet the requirements of Idaho, Oregon and Washington. These are typically break-action and hammer ignition.

In general a twist rate of 1:48 or less is meant for conicals. Most prefer a 1:28 or thereabouts for that purpose.
If your intent is to hunt with round balls the twist rates of 1:66 or 1:70 are designed for that purpose.

If you want the traditional style muzzleloader, I recommend the Lyman Great Plains Hunter if you want to shoot conicals and the Lyman Great Plains Rifle if you want to shoot roundballs.

WRM

WKR
Have an old TC Renegade (Hawken) and bought a 209 conversion nipple to shoot BH out of it. Not had an issue. Usually several of them on Gunbroker.

Also have the Pedersoli Rolling Block style and shoot BH out of it.

Pedersoli has a Picatinny. You can run a Trij MRO on it if no mag allowed or a scope if no restriction.

OP
Legend

Legend

WKR
Wow thanks for all of the great information! I am kind of a research junky so now that i have a great start i can drill down. No real interest in shooting much past 50yds so I guess i can go with just about any suggestion mentioned. Time to start shopping.

Thanks again roksliders.

Stalker69

WKR

Jeremy
I totally agree with this. It’s a good reasonably priced gun. I would not buy a pedersoli, bought one years ago and the stock split. Never did get it resolved through them, will never buy another. If You can find a Thompson center used for a good price, they are decent also. The “ custom” ones are expensive and most are going to inlines, it’s a shame, really.

I totally agree with this. It’s a good reasonably priced gun. I would not buy a pedersoli, bought one years ago and the stock split. Never did get it resolved through them, will never buy another. If You can find a Thompson center used for a good price, they are decent also. The “ custom” ones are expensive and most are going to inlines, it’s a shame, really.

The Lyman is made by pedersoli. Maybe the customer service would be better going through Lyman if there was an issue?

Stalker69

WKR
The Lyman is made by pedersoli. Maybe the customer service would be better going through Lyman if there was an issue?
This was years ago, I don’t think Lyman was made by Pedersoli back in the day, looks as though the “ signature series “ are when Pedersoli took over, it would be a good reason to stay away from them also, over priced junk imo.

Last edited:
Lyman used to be the best you'd could get, short of a custom.

The last however many years though the quality control fell way off.

Now Pedersoli got hired to make them, and they are solid again.

So:

Vintage Lymans, or New Pedersoli/Lymans are what your looking for.

Wapiti1

WKR
The standard and hunter Lyman Great Plains rifles are made by Investarm (along with the Trade Rifle, and Deerstalker).

The Signature Series Great Plains is the only one made by Pedersoli. I don't know if Investarms and Pedersoli have any connection, but have never seen where they do.

I've had two GPR's, and still have a .54 cal Trade Rifle. All were Investarms stamped. Just like this barrel on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265199260116?hash=item3dbf1b91d4:g:f0AAAOSwGgZgq8Ej

Jeremy