Advice on which 10x42 optic to buy?

Hello Roksliders,

Here is the scenario I would like some advice on. I am currently in the market for a 10x42 optic in the $1000 quality category. I don't feel like I can justify true alpha glass at this point in my hunting career. I have done a ton of research on this forum about quality options in this price range and I think this range will provide me with the right intersection of price and quality. I have been looking at the used market and would be willing to be patient to find the right optic for me. I recently have gotten access to a great discount for a new BX-5 Santiam that I was not really previously considering which is where my question lies.

Would you search in the used market for a Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid, Monarch HG, Maven B2, etc in the $700-850 range or take advantage of a great discount on a BX-5 for $520?

In reviews I have seen, there hasn't been a ton of feedback putting the BX-5 in the same category of quality as the 4 binos I mentioned previously (maybe one notch lower?). But I wonder if you had the choice to go with a new BX-5 for $520 if you think the BX-5 is close enough in quality to justify the purchase.

I have handle all of the binos I mentioned with the exception of the Maven and like all of them, though I will admit I am a novice when it comes to optics and was only able to look through them in a store.

AGPank

WKR
Check CameralandNY. They have new / open box Trinovid HDs in that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozyclint

WKR
Consider the Swarovski Habicht 10x40GA. You can have alpha views without the 'alpha roof prism' price tags. The clarity and sharpness is simply amazing and higher light transmission than any roof bino ever made. compact and built to hand to your grandson one day.
I have both the 7x42GA and the 10X40GA.

Matt G.

WKR
I would put the meopta meostar in that category too. Call camera land.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I’ve been incredibly pleased with my Maven B2s in that price range. They are significantly larger than the other binos you listed however, if that’s an issue for you. Optically I preferred them to Swaro SLCs and they don’t give up much to ELs. I’ve looked through the Zeiss and Leicas in the past and while they were very nice, they didn’t have the “wow factor” that the mavens did.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Used Leica/swaro are pretty easy to find if you’re patient. I’ve seen Zeiss HT’s go for 1000 along with many slc’s and Leica bn/ba. Got an ultravid hd plus a few mths ago for 1175 and a new slc 10x42 for 1284. Just saying there out there.

Even classics like the Zeiss BG/A’s or Nikon Venturer’s are still incredible and can easily be had for under 1000. As far as new in box Nikon HG’s are pretty hard to beat imo, also what was said above about the swaro GA’s, another awesome glass with alpha views. Good luck.

kcm2

WKR
I've been using a pair of Kahles 10x42 binos since 2006. You can find them in your price range. Optics are magnificent.

OP
Niceandkozy8
Appreciate everyone's response so far. So based on what I am hearing, the general consensus would be that the BX-5 at a huge discount still would be less appealing than Meopta, Leica and the obvious Swaro.

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with the bx-5, but a couple years ago I found myself in a similar situation as you. I was ready to pull the trigger on a maven b2 9x45 after trying a buddies, when I scored a brand new Leupold bx-4 10x42 on Amazon for $230. I've compared them side by side with the 9x45 b2's, Zeiss conquest, and an older 10x42 leica ultravid. The only thing the bx-4s give up to the others is a small amount of FOV, and IMO they beat out some of the more expensive binos in certain aspects, like ergonomics, and low-light performance. I did like the wider field of view, and color rendition of the Maven b2's, but I wouldn't trade my bx-4s for the Zeiss or Leica's I tested them against.

Last edited:

Gutshotem

WKR
If you know you are going to move up at some point I'd be patient and wait for a good deal on used. If you get a good enough deal you may actually make money when you sell them for an upgrade. That being said, I'd look at the meopta meostar in your price range.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on how soon you want one, I would keep an eye out in the Optics-Classified section here. There are some great deals from time to time.

OP
Niceandkozy8
Appreciate all the feedback, I will hold tight and continue the search in the used market for now.

With the binoculars under consideration it really comes down to personal preference. Don’t think the Leupold is in the same class as the others, but in the $1k and under market it’s hard to go wrong with a Conquest, Trini, or HG. There are others, but it really comes down to how they’ll be used and if it will be kept long term. Of those, the Conquests will likely have the best resale value, if one plans on buying and moving up. The HGs do a lot of things well and are a joy to handle; the Zeiss and Leica are both built like tanks; all 3 offer very good optics; Zeiss and Leica have solid Warranties.

I had BX4’s and really did like them but when I got Zulu 9’s which are supposedly similar to Maven B2’s I was extremely pleased. The colors as mentioned are great and I like how I can use them with eye cups all the way out and then the eye relief is perfect to glass off a tripod where my eyes don’t have to touch them hardly. Perfect for eyeglasses as well they just work well for me and I have no desire to upgrade. A used pair of B2’s or Zulu 9’s would be my vote. The Zulu 9 objective lens covers don’t stay on well and they are bulky so I had to change bino harnesses. I’ve also wanted to try the Maven B1 10x42.