Advice on which Kifaru pack

R585

FNG
Need advice on what Kifaru pack would be right for me. I’m looking for an all around pack that would be good for day hikes with my 2 year old daughter and dogs, wildlife & landscape photography, weekend backpacking trips, day hunts, up to 7 day backpacking hunts once a year maybe, bushcraft and putting weight in it for training and exercise while walking the dogs in the evening. I’m pretty big and heavy but working on my weight. But I’m also athletic with a offensive lineman type build. I’m 6’2 with a 21” torso. I was leaning toward the 357 mag internal frame pack but wondering if I should go for a external frame pack like the 44 mag or if that would be overkill for my intend use. I’d appreciate any advice.

Need advice on what Kifaru pack would be right for me. I’m looking for an all around pack that would be good for day hikes with my 2 year old daughter and dogs, wildlife & landscape photography, weekend backpacking trips, day hunts, up to 7 day backpacking hunts once a year maybe, bushcraft and putting weight in it for training and exercise while walking the dogs in the evening. I’m pretty big and heavy but working on my weight. But I’m also athletic with a offensive lineman type build. I’m 6’2 with a 21” torso. I was leaning toward the 357 mag internal frame pack but wondering if I should go for a external frame pack like the 44 mag or if that would be overkill for my intend use. I’d appreciate any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the things you have listed for use, all but 1 of them are day pack scenarios. I have the 44 mag and Stryker xl, and while the 44mag compresses down pretty well as a daypack, sounds like 90% of the uses you described are daypack specific. The stryker XL probably is the best bet, and getting a large and medium belt pouch, and a camp bag or 55-65ish liter dry sack to go on the shelf will get you 7 days out of it. That keeps 90% of your use to a more manageable day pack, with the ability to expand for your weeklong hunts. The 44 mag feels like a multi day pack that can pull daypack duty in a pinch.

Either way you can make it work. I dont think theres a wrong answer there.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to say my next pack I am looking at is the Stryker XL.

My choice was a Kifaru Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote w/ Cargo Panel, two small belt pouches and two large pouches (that attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed), and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake. Also has a Gunbearer and hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I am able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load (gear or elk) I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel. I can trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. I can fit all my spike camp gear and a week of meals in the 55L dry bag. Compresses to nothing w/o the bag. I think it’s the quintessential rig. Stole the idea from Aron at Kifaru. <g>

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK1_zpsmtdmzost.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK2_zpsrgfdaxwi.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK3_zpsdewho5sj.jpg.html]

[/URL
]

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Since you will be putting weight in it for training make sure you get yourself an external frame pack. I guess depending on how much weight you carry you might be able to get away with an internal frame but I wouldn't risk it, personally (it just might not carry well).

As far as bags go, I love the Hoodlum I just got and I think it is a great all around bag.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My 3.5 year old daughter fits in my fulcrum pack. I can rig it so she can sit or stand, but not fall out. She’s goes on training hikes with me.

It’s a big pack, but I do like the “wings” style and that they have zippers. The only thing is that it’s very strappy. I use it as a day pack with 3 Kifaru pouches.

As far as what’s best for you… @Aron Snyder is the reason I have a Kifaru pack. He messaged me on here when I was thinking about getting one. Gave me his cell # and I called him the next day. Can’t beat that customer service!

OP
R

R585

FNG
Since you will be putting weight in it for training make sure you get yourself an external frame pack. I guess depending on how much weight you carry you might be able to get away with an internal frame but I wouldn't risk it, personally (it just might not carry well).

What the op described has Hoodlum written all over it. Cinches down tight as a day pack and will carry all anyone can handle
Would you recommend the lite or tactical frame and why?
As far as bags go, I love the Hoodlum I just got and I think it is a great all around bag.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on the size and shape of the weight you will be using for training. Technically if you will be hauling awkward/odd shaped items it is better to get the tactical frame because it is more stiff so it won't want to "barrel" when you strap the oddly shaped item to it. At the same time, I've seen some people say they have been happy with the newer lite frames and odd shaped loads.

With that being said, the tactical frame is likely a lot stiffer than what you need for everything else you intend to use it for. I've seen a lot of people that have one of each use the lite frame for pretty much everything but training and use the tactical frame for training.

That doesn't really give you a definite answer but its just to give you an idea of a few things to consider.

The mountain warrior bag compresses down nicely for a day pack. It works great for 7 day trips for me also. Very versatile pack. I have the regular duplex hunter frame, mountain warrior bag, and a guide lid.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Having the external frame and being able to throw a 50lb bag of dog food on there with a grab it and a few compression straps is pretty convenient for walks with the dog. Jordan Budd has a video about using a muskeg 2800 as a day pack. I have a muskeg 5000 with a claymore pocket as a lid, a large belt pouch and a sherman pocket. I can fit a 2 person tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 pads, 1 woobie, a tripod, few extra layers and food for 2 people and a dog for a 3 day trip. Even for a weekend trip the space gets consumed pretty quicky especially if you're carrying more than your own gear.

That’s a personal preference. I have an ultra light and tactical frame. For me I choose the tactical and here’s why. I have 2 herniated disc’s. L4&5. I used both frames last year and my low back prefers the rigidity of the tactical. If not for the herniated discs I’d choose the Light Frame. I like both frames and had my DT1 pack on the UL frame 2 years ago in the Gila. They are both great frames. I just have to be careful is all. I’ve dealt with occasional excruciating pain since the injury 25 years ago but not even the pain will keep me out of the Elkwoods in September if the discs act up which has happened only once during elk season in 2016.

imo you cannot go wrong with whichever frame you choose. If you want a frame that has some independent movement, go with the Light or UL frame. If you want rigid where the frame moves with your body, do the Tactical. The Tactical is a little warmer in warm weather and the others allow more airflow in warm weather. Good luck

My choice was a Kifaru Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote w/ Cargo Panel, two small belt pouches and two large pouches (that attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed), and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake. Also has a Gunbearer and hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I am able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load (gear or elk) I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel. I can trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. I can fit all my spike camp gear and a week of meals in the 55L dry bag. Compresses to nothing w/o the bag. I think it’s the quintessential rig. Stole the idea from Aron at Kifaru. <g>

[/URL
]
[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK1_zpsmtdmzost.jpg.html][/URL
]
[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK2_zpsrgfdaxwi.jpg.html][/URL
]
[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK3_zpsdewho5sj.jpg.html]

[/URL
]
There’s not a lot of difference in the Hunter platform and the Tactical. But if a guy wants a Hunter frame, you’ll have to hope someone is willing to part with one on the classifieds. My buddy has a Hunter frame and Reckoning bag and loves his setup