advice pls: CO elk for my dad, 2 points

stonewall

WKR
quick background:
I have some archery elk experience, but wouldn't consider myself a veteran. hunted (bow hiked) CO otc my first two years. have killed a bull in NM, and a bull in WY. only rifle hunt I did was years ago - shot a cow in NM back when a NR could draw that tag (late season cow tag)

My dad hunted WY Gen (archery) this year (his first elk hunt since early 90s). we got really close (as in if bull had taken one more step he was done for at 25 yards) and had some other blown set ups, but he didn't get to fill his tag

With 2 points in CO, I realize we're limited...
should we focus on getting him an archery tag or rifle 1? The goal is to get a bull. I feel like I at least have an idea on how to proceed with a September archery hunt, but I'm not sure how I'd approach a rifle 1 hunt. of course, the rifle gets you a lot better range. Is there a such thing as finding an 8-10k elevation area that's not crazy steep for someone in their mid 60's? I am reviewing units in gohunt right now. I'd love to get feedback on which season you guys think. and you're more than welcome to share in depth info too ;) Please feel free to PM if you prefer. thank you

CubsFan04

FNG
If you are going strictly by the stats you're going to have better success 1st rifle but it can be close enough that I would go with whatever you are more confident in which sounds like archery. Will you be in a position to take advantage of the much longer season for archery? If it is going to be a 5 day hunt no matter which season you come that would be a point in favor of 1st rifle.

OP
stonewall

stonewall

WKR
at least 7 days of hunting. may be able to stretch archery to 10. if we go first rifle we would plan on two days of scouting, 1 at minimum anyway.
i learned after wyoming that acclimation time is important. we did 9 miles the first day, and he had to take day 2 off and recoup. that was stupid on my part