Advice/Tips for skiddish kids

Keedman

FNG
Looking or advice on how to teach my sons that bb guns are not scary but fun.
I bought my kids a mini red ridder for Christmas and have struggled to get them to want to come practice. My eldest seems almost scared, he always hangs out while i clean my guns and pack for trips he understands that guns are to be respected, but he seems fearful.
Would taking him to the gun range with me and showing him maybe curb the fear pr would this just add to it?

I have to wonder where the fear emanates from. I would also be questioning if it fear or caution. I mean that your children could have the idea that they are to not touch a weapon without your direct supervision. Otherwise, I would not force it on them, but rather provide ample opportunities, but leaving it up to them if they want to participate.

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
Not sure either on the fear he has had me kinda of confused. They absoulety know not to touch any of the guns bb or real without either my wife or me present. Maybe ive come off to strong on them in that regard now that i think about it.

You think maybe time to take them out on the range to hang out? Kids are 8 and 7. Wife didnt want me taking them when they where younger.

WKR
I think the schools and media do a fine job teaching kids that guns are terrible and no one should own them. So you have that to overcome as well.

I'd get some eye protection for them, some reactive targets and head to the woods. I am not sure taking them to a noisy gun range would be a good idea. If they have any competitive nature, simply doing some easy scoring targets and having a little fun with it should get them wanting to shoot.

By reactive, could be clay pigeons, balloons, tin cans, whatever. Good luck though. My two adult kids are my best hunting partners I could ever wish for.

You have any friends with similarly aged or slightly older kids that are already into it? Might be useful for them to see another kid competently handling a firearm.

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
You have any friends with similarly aged or slightly older kids that are already into it? Might be useful for them to see another kid competently handling a firearm.
Unfortunately not, only one out of all the friends to have kids. And no kids anywhere near their age.

I think you need a place much more informal than a range with range monitors. Assuming you have places to shoot other than a managed range, I buy some fruit, apples, watermelons... Things that will POP when hit with a 22, and have them use something like a 22. Make it a game for them. But like any game there are rules. But I presume your children know most if not all the rules already. If you want to make it competitive, winner gets ice cream is the like. Just make sure non winners get it too. Again, it NEEDS to be fun for them. Which means it might be work for you.

slatty

WKR
My own kids are younger but I took my 7 and 8 year old nephews to the range with a 22 this summer and they had the time of their life. Shot at a metal squirrel popper over and over and over.

Pro953

WKR
I will echo everyone else. A Ruger 10/22 and a whole bucket of cheap ammo. Some reactive targets and some pumpkins or whatever else is handy.

I usually let them shoot and spend my time next them them reloading the mags and calling shots.

I made the mistake of letting him shoot a shotgun too soon so we are rebuilding from that.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
Thanks for all the advice. I was talkikg to my boys this morning, to see what they think would be fun to see "pop".
So going to give the wallmart shasta a shot this weekend

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tannerite makes a really good “pop”, even the quarter pounders. Not sure if a 22 has enough snort to make it happen though, so you might have to demonstrate with a larger caliber, which they will probably find inspirational.

JG358

WKR
My advice would be not to push the matter to hard. I have one kid that is and has always been all about shooting with dad and another that couldn't care less. You cant make your kids like what you like, they do or they don't. Just because they don't now doesn't mean they wont later. They may come around, they may not but trying to force them into liking something can and usually does result in the opposite result that your after.

Mike 338

WKR
Put 'em with other kids that they're likely to be friends with. Making friends while shooting, or anything else, is always a great way to enjoy things.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Red Rider bb guns have very low velocity. A large cardboard box with balled up paper is more than enough as a back-stop. For a target, use a dot on white paper. See how close to dot they can get. Have them write their name on target, put up on fridge. Give them time to be proud of accomplishment and skill growth. Make sure they know it is their gun, their responsibility and maturity that lets them get to this. And, offer to take them to the range only after they can hit dot consistently, show good safety skills, clean their room and have good grades. Psych warfare. Don't make it you "wish" they would, make them earn the right to do it. PS get mom to shoot BB gun too. And her target on fridge too.

brsnow

WKR
At the end of the day they might not have a passion or enjoyment for it.

Michael54

WKR
How has this played out? My son is still too young but we have kids on the farm between the ages of 3 (my son) and 13. I have 1 and my wifes cousins have 7 between their two families. Each kid gets introduced to it on a case by case basis and maturity level. One started shooting at 5 and one is 12 now and i think his dad may finally let him start shooting. I take my son down to my rifle stand for archery season now and sometimes he loves it and sometimes not so much. I just figure ill let him decide how much we do amd don't do. Hoping in the next few years to get him in the stands for rifle season and see how it goes from there.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
Wish you the best. My age 22 son comes to deer camp but doesn’t want a license and lends his rifle to a friend. He progressed from toys (laser/nerf) through bb through 22’s, etc. shot everything at ranges. Lots of archery. Hunted youth archery and gun white tails and small game. Passed on many clear shots. He wasn’t forced to do any of it; he enjoyed what he did. But as of now he’s out. He claims he will hunt if we go out west or Canada for elk or moose. We’ll see.

My age 13 daughter was an avid, borderline obsessed little Fisher from 5 to 12. Now she wants nothing to do with it.

I have a daughter 25 who just now for the first time has discovered she’s interested in camping hiking and outdoors. After years of declining to come along with me.

They’re little people with their own personalities. Some like what you like. Some don’t. And they all change as time goes on. Don’t force it. Offer it. Be patient. Play the long hand. You never know if or when. You’re a great dad for wanting them involved. Keep trying!

gbflyer

WKR
Mine is now 12 and loves all things that go bang. Due to some issues mostly involving the lack of respect for real firearms and authority in general, he hasn’t been able to fire a gun in about a year. It’s one consequence that has been meaningful.

I’ve found that all we can do is guide them and make them aware of the consequences of their actions both good and bad. Can’t make them do a damned thing.