Advice/Tips for skiddish kids

jayleigh

FNG
I would start by teaching him the safety procedures. Perhaps if he feels that he understands how to safely handle and operate the gun he will be less fearful.

My little girl (7 years old) has always been hesitant because she doesn’t like the loud bang and is worried about the kick. We’ve gotten as far as shouldering the lil rascal 22 and looking through the peep site but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I think positive reinforcement and letting her progress at her own pace is best and if she doesn’t like it that’s fine too. Just don’t want her to decide she doesn’t like it before actually taking a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
Late reply, apologies have been crazy crazy busy with my new job.
After talking with the wife i backed off to not pressure them. And started just going hiking and showing them around. Got the currisoty going in the little boogers. They hang out and watch me clean stuff and sometimes when I shoot some arrows.
Again thanks for all the tips. When i make more head way with the kids ill post again

Lowg08

WKR
I will give this advice. I pushed my son for n fishing when I was competing very heavily and now he hates bass fishing so much that I have no one to go with me so I sold my bass boat this fall. On the whole other spectrum I never pushed hunting we just casually started and he loves it all. He was shooting a 243 at the age of 5. Let them be them. If that makes sense. Last example. My wife played college softball and I turned down chances to work through AAA ball with the Rockies and devil rays. We assumed our kids would be natural die hard ball players. My son played one season and has no desire to ever play again. My daughter takes ballet and tap so you never Know. Just let them be who they are going to be

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
9 months later and a crazy lockdown I made some progress with my boys.
So since last time we attended a cub Scout shooting event prior to the lock down. Imo those guys and gals that run the event are amazing to have the patience for that many kids. With the instructors and their friends around the kids had a blast! Which lead to questions and the want to do it at home.
Shortly after the lock down happened. And put a hamper on everything.
Fast forward to this week. I was practicing with my bow and the kids asked if they could try. I ran to my garage pulled out the red rider and bear scout bows my brother got the kids for Christmas.
Bb gun fun went on for hours yesterday. Today shoot the bows for a few hours. To get them excited I put some pressure on myself and cold shot an apple at 30. The excitement from the boys was through the roof.
Pulled out big ol grapefruit we grow (was already bad) and they had a shoot off to finish up the day.
Ill admit I was so excited I didn't want the sun to to down on us. 20200613_150722_HDR.jpg20200613_150750_HDR.jpg20200617_161949.jpg20200617_162503_HDR.jpg
Thanks for all the tips from here. It just took time for them to come to it.
Should be fun with my last 2 in 5 years going through it again. But with some help from big brothers hopfully.

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
Well a year later. Doesn't seem so long ago. My boys are finally getting the bug. We've been practicing in the yard here and there when they ask. I try not to push it, as much as I want to.
But they asked me if they could shoot a real gun. So we finally had our range day. I've never been so proud to watch kids call out unsafe practices at the range. To always make sure they where being safe and focused. And just the amount of fun they had. Now the keep bugging to go back again. Can't wait to go in a few weeks.

Thanks to Angeles shooting range for the $1 fee during summer. So many line officers came and high five my kids and showed them support it was awesome!!
IMG_20210709_115559_322.jpgIMG_20210709_115559_360.jpgIMG_20210709_115559_380.jpg20210707_191918.jpg20210707_191924.jpg20210707_183447.jpg

My sister moved out here from Southern California when her boys were still very young. She was literally terrified of guns. Even a pocket knife was out of the question. California is doing a bang up job demonizing men's tools.

Thankfully we converted her after a few years.

20160220_134241.jpg