advice

bnsafe

WKR
my second mulie hunt but first was different. we found several mule deer but got some questions on how to seal the deal.
the does we saw were about 4 miles from the bucks. did we just miss the bucks around the does area? will mulies travel the same paths day after day. we saw 2 nice bucks on the way home but it was dark, will they come back up in the morning and back down the same paths tomorrow. most of them were in timber and you can only see about a 100 yds max so looking for a needle in a haystack.

Wapiti1

WKR
Bucks could care less about does until late November. Forkeys will be all you'll see with the does for the most part unless you are in a place where they are all feeding in ag fields or there is another reason to concentrate them like water.

No, mule deer don't travel the same trail like a whitetail will. They might, but....they can be annoyingly random in their route to and from food. They will also tend to bed wherever they want rather than a specific spot.

If they are feeding in a specific area/field they will keep to that pattern, but how they get there can be somewhat random. Over a long period, you can kind of figure out a good ambush location, but you'll have to sit there several days to get that shot, IME.

They can be more predictable in the timber if you can find a funnel or pinch point. An easy way through deadfall, a place where they go around a rock pile, shallow water crossing, etc.

Jeremy

^What he said^

Definitely not as patternable as whitetails. I’d go as far as to say their habits are closer to elk or antelope than whitetails. Nomads!

cnelk

WKR
Scott - those bucks just can’t stay away from those clearcuts - definitely focus around them.

I had to make a quick trip up and back to Gould this morning - the deer were moving with the wet weather.
There was a truck parked at that access gate you’ve hunted before.
Hope you had some luck this morning.

BTW - yourtag is good for any buck. There is a spattering of whitetail where you are at. So you’re not limited to just MD.

Text me when you can

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks all, shot a nice 4x4 today. nothing huge, but they all look big to a mo whitetail guy. he has a white face, which I love, my first one didnt.

we didnt see any wt but its sure thick up there.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks bud, greatly appreciated, more than you know.

I will try to post a pic sometime, but I dont do well with posting pics.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
just a few pics of me and my son in law.

Attachments

• mulie 3.jpg
    mulie 3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 48
  • mulie 2.jpg
    mulie 2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 47
  • mulie 1.jpg
    mulie 1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 48
  • mulie.jpg
    mulie.jpg