Aegis Extreme ?

TwoTikkas

WKR
Does the Ageis Extreme jacket have a membrane? It's advertised as waterproof. They wouldn't be promoting the DWR as waterproof would they?

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
As I understand it, the aegis has a waterproof, windproof, breathable membrane sandwiched between the outer fabric and the insulation. You might want to email kryptek but believe that it might be the same as the Vellus line which also has such a membrane in the garments.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Thanks! Ill launch an email to confirm. Looks like a good alternate for my Sitka Timberline. A little warmer,and waterproof.

marktole

WKR
TwoTikkas, just a heads up, I have used the Sitka Timberline jacket and the Kryptek Aegis Extreme and they are absolutely nothing alike.

The Timberline is more or less just a windproof shell with very minimal insulation in some parts of the jacket, definitely built as an active mountain hunting jacket.

The Aegis Extreme is 100% the opposite end of the spectrum as far as the two jackets go. It is big, heavy, bulky, and doesn't pack well. It is waterproof (at least in my experience) and windproof. If you're mountain hunting and you walk more than 2-300 yards in it at a normal walking pace with any kind of elevation gain, you will be dying to take it off. It is, however, perfect for late seasons sits, horseback rides, and a layer to throw on first thing when you get out of your sleeping bag. I used mine late season for the purposes I just described and I was pretty happy with it. My only complaint was that I wish had went up a size (from L to XL) because if you wear much more than a base layer it is kind of snug around the shoulders I thought. Even with just a hoodie its a little tight for me.

Just thought I would let you know because you mentioned you wanted a jacket "a little warmer" than your timberline. It is a LOT warmer. If you're doing lots of not moving in cold temps, it'll be perfect. If you're wanting a jacket that's just a little warmer and still want it for hiking around in the mountains, I'd check out some other options.

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
The Aegis is more comparable to the Sitka Incinerator or FL Sanctuary in my opinion, far more suited to stationary stand sitting in cold weather. Getting a little warmer than a timberline would probably be something like the Kryptek Dalibor II or the new FL Catalyst although they are dwr treated soft shells, not waterproof. The kryptek vellus is a waterproof/windproof fleece jacket, dead silent,
and somewhat breathable, but again pretty darn warm to be hiking in and definitely dont want to be climbing in. One consideration might be a FL vapor or seak over a kuiu kenai. That should give a warm but very breathable waterproof/windproof lightweight and packable layer system. There is a sitka shell i cant think of the name of, dewpoint maybe that might work over a midlayer, or the sitka coldfront jacket may be what you are looking for.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Thanks for the heads up fellas. I appreciate it. Sounds like the Aegis is better suited to our stand hunting whitetail than the mule deer hunt this fall. I'm headed to check out some of the options you all mentioned.

jmez

WKR
As the others said, the Aegis is only suited to stand hunting. At that, it better be pretty cold or you will sweat in it sitting in a stand. I have one and rarely ever use it as it is just too warm.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
If you want light and useful for mule deer in the Kryptek line you might try the Poseidon rain jacket coupled with an Aquillo down jacket. Search YouTube for videos from Top Priority Hunting as the film crew reviews that exact combination.

Or the Cadog (water reaistant) could work as well as the Vellus (waterproof). You’ll probably want to open the pit zips when hiking however. They are both very warm and neither is what I’d call ultra light weight. Not heavy per se but not light. Both are jackets.

For what you describe, I use a Sitka Jetstream jacket or Kryptek Dalibor but each is only water resistant. If you want insulation and waterproof, you have a lot of options above including from Sitka and Kryptek. Good luck.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Checked out Top Priority on YouTube. Very informative. Thanks for bringing it up. I really love Sitka gear,but want to diversify a bit,and bring in a little variety. The Poseidon rain wear looks like what the Dr ordered. Worn over my Kelvin lite it should give me another option,without adding a bunch of weight. I still might pickup the Aegis for whitetail stand hunts here at home. The cold just seems to creep in on a fella. I'm typically on stand for 10 hours. Seldom is it totally calm. The Kelvin / Timberline combo is pretty good,but not exactly an oven.