Aerolite/kelvin active

Sled

WKR
I'm looking to add some layers this year and can't find much on the kelvin active jacket. no one seems to stock it near me.

to back up a minute, i run cold in the morning and tend to wear my warmer layers too long before removing them on the hike in. i like the idea of the kelvin active jacket if it works and thought pairing it with a light or mid weight hoody, as well as a jet stream vest might be the way to go. most of my hunting is done from mid august to early october (8-10k elev) with some late season antlerless elk hunts into january. in the past i just add a puffy and the appropriate shell to keep up with the dropping temps.

is the kelvin active jacket all it's advertised to be? would you pair this with an aerolite puffy for added breathability in cooler weather while retaining heat?

Get an older, regular kelvin. Much warmer. I wear my old OC Kelvins instead of my Subalpine Kelvins for this reason.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
Get an older, regular kelvin. Much warmer. I wear my old OC Kelvins instead of my Subalpine Kelvins for this reason.
bruce,
was this in reference to the kelvin active jacket or the aerolite puffy?

for the puffy, i have many from different outdoor mfg's and am looking at the idea of a more packable puffy with similar heat retention to my other mid weight.

as for the kelvin active jacket, i'm intrigued by the possibility of a light weight puffy without all the puff that can still breath. i run cold in the am for the first half hour of a hike or more. do you think this type of layer will keep sweat down, dry out fast and regulate temps when stopping for 15 minutes at time?

If you're only running cold in the predawn before your pulse is up, wear a knit cap (and maybe gloves) at first. It will offset the cold without making you break a sweat in your truck. Sometimes small adjustments are all that's needed. If you are in extreme cold and need another layer, consider the weather. Is it gonna possibly be wet? I prefer Primaloft to down or down-mixed hybrids. The weight/bulk differences are small but the warmth difference is huge. I would rather be too warm than too cold. Learned that friggin' lesson the hardest way. This page may help you.

Last edited:
OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I do run cold most of the time but exceptionally cold for the first half hour or so.
I'll typically use a beanie for pre dawn and a medium to lite puffy even in 50-60 degree summer temps. If it's 40-50 I'll have a lite puffy on most of the day. During high activity I can pull it off but often do so too late to keep moisture down.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
is the kelvin active jacket all it's advertised to be? would you pair this with an aerolite puffy for added breathability in cooler weather while retaining heat?

The Active is very good at what it is- an active insulation piece. Polartec Alpha, and now especially Alpha Direct, work very well at being a light insulation piece while static, especially when paired with a wind jacket, etc; and breathing very good while active. It’s one of the most versatile pieces of clothing on the market.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
The Active is very good at what it is- an active insulation piece. Polartec Alpha, and now especially Alpha Direct, work very well at being a light insulation piece while static, especially when paired with a wind jacket, etc; and breathing very good while active. It’s one of the most versatile pieces of clothing on the market.

That sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll stick with my other puffy jackets for cold weather but early morning and shoulder seasons the active jacket will be my go to. I have a peleton 240 that I can pair with and may get a Jetstream vest. Along with the beanie I should be covered. Thanks

Trial153

WKR
I like the active. At first I wasnt sure how it fits in till I lent it to my dad on a moose hunt. He has bad shoulder and taking heavy weight pullover on a off was just asking to dislocate it… I gave him the. Active and used it a mid layer over his base… he then covered it up with cold front shell when he stopped to wait and glass.
I since have used it a mid layer when hiking and base wasn’t enough. Breaths well and insulates well in under a shell …I also like how quite it is. No question I can draw back my bow soundlessly wearing it.

aamir200

Lil-Rokslider
I have a brand new kelvin active jacket in xl for sale if interested. Brought it at the end of last season for a bear hunt and ended up not using it.

TheTone

WKR
I have an older kelvin. It’s warm enough that for the vast majority of my hunting it does not get used. A friend has a old kelvin lite that for the hunting we do is a much better piece. I think I would get way more use out of a kelvin active or the new aerolite but really can’t justify buying more hunting gear at the moment