Affordable Base Layers?

rhendrix

WKR
In an effort to save some money I am trying to find some base layers and mid-layers that won't break the bank, I keep hoping something will come up on Camofire.com, but I haven't seen anything recently. Is Minus33 worth a darn? What about Core4Element? I can't really afford First Lite right now unless I got a smoking deal on some that was used. Does anyone else know of base layers that will hold up worth a damn in the backcountry that won't break the bank

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I'm darn close to pulling the trigger on a Core4 Merino 190 Crew in Mountain Mimicry and a Pivot 1/4 Zip Shirt. I'm a little hesitant about buying the Pivot though since it's 92% polyester. I just haven't found anything that compares from a price standpoint.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have used Minus 33 merino for many years with no problems. Is it the same quality as First Lite or Kuiu, no but it's serviceable.

weaver

WKR
I have minus 33 as well. Never had more expensive stuff so i don't know how they compare.

NEhunter

WKR
I have minus 33 and Kuiu. I think minus 33 is great stuff for the money. Unless I wanted a camo print, I have no reason to spend more money. Very happy with them.

Bighub1

Lil-Rokslider
What size are you looking for? A local store is d/cing first lite and has a few sizes left at 50% off. Mostly allegheny bottoms and a couple chama tops

shaun

WKR
Call Caleb from camofire he will give you same price or better than it was up for. My boss called him lastweek and bought a 4500 and core4 pants shirt jacket hat and benie for 450 shipped to our office. So I guarantee he will do same for you on merino bottoms

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Bighub, I an need XL in tops.

And Shaun, I was unaware you could call camofire directly, thanks.

If you don't care about color or camo you can get some pretty good deals. I got a first lite chama quarter zip in lost camo for 50% off from 1st lites website. Also, have got a couple merino tops from Golite in solid colors which I really like.

Go lite had a sale a few weeks ago and these were even cheaper than the $49 price they are now. They are really nice and well worth the price, i think i am going to buy some more of them soon.

http://www.golite.com/Ms-Koli-Wool-Baselayer-Longsleeve-Top-P46759.aspx

bz_711

WKR
www.sierratradingpost.com
Wait for their 35-40% off days...no camo, but for base layers the prices are unbeatable...the stuff I have bough has been very high quality.
Also - you can save $100+ on good hiking boots as well. Get on their email list and like them on FB...they offer a different discount everyday and sometimes combine it with free shipping. Customer Service A+ also for when returning items...

Jplus4

FNG
I have the C4E 190 1/4 zip along with the Pivot 1/4 zip.
The 190 came apart at the bottom after the first wash. Other than that, it's a good base layer if you get it on sale at Camofire.
The Pivot is mostly poly, but works good over the 190.
I just invested in KUIU and got the 230 (or 250?) 1/4 zip which is also poly and would compare to the C4E Pivot. The quality is better on the KUIU.
I am looking for more base layers like the 190 and will probably get a GoLite or similar that is not camo since you can seem to find them cheaper.
I have heard others complain about some of the C4E quality...

Straight from Kuiu's site.

Technical Features
• 12.5 ounces
• 250 gram, 20.5 Micron, Interlock 100% Merino Wool from The Merino Company
• Some Itch-Second Layer
• Mid-weight
• Moisture-wicking
• Flatlock stitching
• Breathable
• Quick-drying