Affordable Camo options

Jmeicke

FNG
I’ve been hunting most of my life but my dad’s hand me down camo is finally getting to be less than ideal. It seems that Camo is just stupid expensive these days. I’m fresh out of school on an entry level salary and the only real option for me near by as far as brick and mortar establishments is Bass Pro and they aren’t known for beating the competition on pricing. I’d like to start building a decent collection of my own Camo without spending thousands. Anyone ordered Camo online with good quality at a lower price? Tired of trying on $140 pants!

If I were on a young hunters budget, I would be looking at mil surplus. Sportsman’s guide has some interesting European wool pants from time to time. US stuff in ACU can be found cheap. It is heavier and has a bit more Velcro than you might like but when you can get a goretex hard shell for under $100 that is a pretty goos deal.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, surplus US or used here, AT, or 24HCF. Honestly, other than a Sitka Jetstream jacket my stuff is all pretty cheap. Eddie Bauer pants, Cabela's base layer, and wool from the local Goodwill type stores keeps me hunting. Boots are either KEEN or closeout Solomon's.

Takes more time to put together but it's a reasonable way of getting it done.

P Carter

WKR
Funny, tech clothing has become so common I think you could outfit yourself just fine in like a target. (Target today certainly has better tech clothes than nearly anywhere in the 90s.) Go to Decathlon online and you can pick up hiking stuff, in solids, for like $20-$40. More than enough to get you out there with non-cotton clothes. (Weirdly, Decathlon “hunting” stuff tends to be cotton so I’d stay away from that.

Zdub02

WKR
You can always keep checking classifieds on here and watching camofire for deals. Second the cheap stuff thread.

OP
Jmeicke

Jmeicke

FNG
You can always keep checking classifieds on here and watching camofire for deals. Second the cheap stuff thread.
Camofire is new to me I'll keep checking their site it seems like they've got a good thing going over there

ericF

WKR
Look at Midwayusa branded hunting clothing. They always have their house brand hunting clothing on clearance this time of the year and it gets good reviews for what it is. Kryptek also has some good sales going on right now with some pieces up to 60% off.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
Try the Wrangler Hiking pants. A regular pair and a fleece lined pair and less than 50 bucks combined. For a puffy, go to Sams or Costco. An Eddie Bauer from Sams was about 25.00 last year and is plenty warm under a shell.

Try the Wrangler Hiking pants. A regular pair and a fleece lined pair and less than 50 bucks combined. For a puffy, go to Sams or Costco. An Eddie Bauer from Sams was about 25.00 last year and is plenty warm under a shell.

Where are you finding the fleece lined for sale? I can’t find them in stock. I have the regular ones and love them but paid like 40 something for them off the wrangler site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’re looking it at backwards, I would be looking at getting high quality non-hunting / non -camo clothes from mountaineering, outdoor companies. This is where the greatest bang for your buck comes from and you don’t pay the unnecessary markup for camo and the gear is often technically even better.

MThuntr

WKR
Camofire is new to me I'll keep checking their site it seems like they've got a good thing going over there
Keep an eye on what is perceived as a deal on Camofire. A lot of the camo can end up being discontinued and be had a better prices elsewhere. Not saying they don't have deals all the time just don't be in a hurry to buy without a quick search to confirm it's a decent price.

I agree don't buy fancy hunting boutique clothes. My pants are the Wrangler Flex Outdoors pants that wear just like Prana but for like $20/pair. Just get some brown or green ones. I'd stay away from the gray ones.

Camo tops may be necessary if you're archery or turkey hunting but absolutely unnecessary while rifle hunting. In this case I'd probably spend a little more on something higher quality but again it doesn't need to be Kuiu.

OP
Jmeicke

Jmeicke

FNG
Keep an eye on what is perceived as a deal on Camofire. A lot of the camo can end up being discontinued and be had a better prices elsewhere. Not saying they don't have deals all the time just don't be in a hurry to buy without a quick search to confirm it's a decent price.

I agree don't buy fancy hunting boutique clothes. My pants are the Wrangler Flex Outdoors pants that wear just like Prana but for like $20/pair. Just get some brown or green ones. I'd stay away from the gray ones.

Camo tops may be necessary if you're archery or turkey hunting but absolutely unnecessary while rifle hunting. In this case I'd probably spend a little more on something higher quality but again it doesn't need to be Kuiu.
Great point on camofire I’ll be sure to double check things I find on there. As for the pants, spot and stalk archery hunting on Arizona Coues deer is extremely tough and I think the full Camo head to toe is definitely necessary. When the deer catches you putting your rangefinder down out of the corner of his eye I don’t know if solid color pants will cut it for the 5 minute stare down before he decides “eh that was probably nothing” and goes back to whatever he was doing. I could be wrong but I’d hate to chance it.

Michael54

WKR
Ive recently switched to all earth tone solids. With the exception of a pair of skre mt summit pants that i got 30% off.

OP
Jmeicke

Jmeicke

FNG
Ive recently switched to all earth tone solids. With the exception of a pair of skre mt summit pants that i got 30% off.
Something about wearing solids throws me off a whole lot but maybe I’m overthinking it. Have you noticed much difference?