Affordable Down Jacket/Pants

dotman

WKR
If your ok with solids Golite has some good deals just not always instock.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I think if your going solid go Golite or Eddie Bauer. I own 3 different jackets (lightest to heaviest) from Eddie Bauer and I think for the price they can't be beat. I think they are on sale too.

• Banned
OP
B

blb078

WKR
Any color will work. Prefer you typical earth tones if possible. Thx guys, gonna check GoLite and EB.

Any recommendations on down pants? Looks like EB & GoLite have just jackets.

dotman

WKR
Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
arcteryx makes a good puffy jacket and pant as well. Might be a little too expensive for you but I figured id throw it out there.

Not down either, they are synthetic

swat8888

WKR
Just a note on golite, there stuff tends to run kinda slim. I can't wear most of their jackets because they are too tight up under my arm pits. If you go EB sign up for their emails and you'll soon get an email for a smokin deal on whatever it is you might need there.

swat8888

WKR
I also like my OR transcendent jacket (outdoor research). not the lightest down out there but well made.

dotman

WKR
Just a note on golite, there stuff tends to run kinda slim. I can't wear most of their jackets because they are too tight up under my arm pits. If you go EB sign up for their emails and you'll soon get an email for a smokin deal on whatever it is you might need there.

I found that the golite reg cut was big, an xl usually fits me perfect and the softshell I got I should have went L. Went L with the down vest and it fits perfect.

I do have an EB down jacket that is super warm but it makes me feel like the Michelin man :) but I have never been cold in it.

Armyjoe,

Which do you like better the Microtherm down shirt or the downlight jacket from eddie bauer? What temps do you feel comfortable wearing them in? Thanks, Ryan

Cabelas has some great deals, you have to pay attention and make sure you get their "light" models. What for a sale and for 700-850 fill you can find them under $100

armyjoe

Super Moderator
ryan -
Microtherm - low 40's high 30's - depends on the wind and what your wearing underneath as base layer
Downlight - I've wore down to single digits with a good heavy base layer underneath.

Weight difference is almost unnoticeable to me. I think just a couple oz's really.

I say I wear the downlight more then the microtherm. I used the microtherm this past elk season during the last week of archery and I was wishing I brought the downlight because it was still pretty chilly in the morning glassing with the micro.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I have and like the cabelas down long johns/drawers. They are barebones with no pockets, designed to be worn under other clothing. I only have the pants and wear them under my bdu pants, it protects them also which I like. Think the pants cost me like 45$ or so on sale with a coupon. Think they are 60ish normally if memory serves. They are coyote brown.

edg1967

WKR
Eddie Bauer Ascent Downlight. Wearing one today in MN...-9 for a HIGH & 30 MPH winds & i'm good.

I have a cabelas one I picked up over Christmas for $35 that's has kept me warm. Last week it was -29 with the wind chill. I was plenty warm. I also have a cabelas down vest that's even warmer. Another day it was way below zero I wore it and a sweatshirt. I had to take the vest off I was so warm.

For a jacket the Sierra Designs Gnarl Lite is pretty light, a good fill rate, and hydrophobic down for a pretty good price.
Have not gotten my hands on one yet, but the Montbell 1000 fill down jacket is getting quite a bit of buzz at 5.2oz.