Affordable one man tent and bag options

rhendrix

WKR
I'm trying to figure out what the best ones man tent and bag option will be for a CO archery elk hunt with limited space in my bag. Really hoping to keep space down and flirted with a bivy and bag but would like something to protect myself from rain. Right now i have a TZ 5000 on the way and plan on a 7 day hunt so space is at a premium. Thanks.

Mike7

WKR
Affordable is relative I guess...but for something good I would consider for a tent a Kifaru Supertarp or Bearpaw Wilderness Designs Luna 2 ($175) and for bag consider a Kifaru Slik bag or Montbell Super Spriral Burrow Bag in 15 to 30 degree rating ($150-$200).

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I was looking at a whole sleeping system under 300 bucks. That's for pad and bag. I guess another 200 for the tent?

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I've read all about the paratarp. Finding one used and for a decent price is a challenge.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the Lil bug out right now, its probably the most versatile shelter i have ever put my hands on.

tstowater

WKR
Space plus weight plus quality= $$$. Interested to see what you come up with. I think your budget might stop you on quality unless you can get something used or closeout. I will vouch for the Kifaru bags (and I am not a nut like most of these guy for Kifaru), but costs more. Let us know what you end up with as you do have time on your side.

Floorguy

WKR
Go lite SL3 $250 and a BA Lost Ranger $185 with a Thermarest Neoair Xlite $165. @$50 more than you were looking for going through GoLite and REI but you could sell the nest from the SL3 and I have seen prices lower on the Lost Ranger.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aside from what was mentioned above, you could look at used Big Agnes one man tents. Most are about 3 pounds and are solid tents. Plenty out on the Internet for sale. I wouldn't be against a used sleeping bag either, I know I have sold some good ones cheap in the past.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go lite SL3 $250 and a BA Lost Ranger $185 with a Thermarest Neoair Xlite $165. @$50 more than you were looking for going through GoLite and REI but you could sell the nest from the SL3 and I have seen prices lower on the Lost Ranger.

Almost my setup to a t-

If you have a rei near you, they have garage sales quarterly, I picked up a big Agnes lost ranger for my wife, 65$ exped ul7 for 30$ and an rei minimalist bivy for 25$. The wife has te same setup as me now for way less mula! We also have a golite sl3, a little trick, if you have another golite product, write a review on their website and they will send you a 20% coupon code to your email! That will cut down on cost of the tent as well.

stephen b

WKR
For even less money you could go for this Golite SL 2 for your tent when they come back in stock. It also comes in a nice green color.

http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-2-Tent-P46826.aspx

At $150 for the whole set up, and you could sell the nest and cost you even less. I would go floorless with the SL 2, and it is quite spacious for 1 ( huge really)- as it is about the same size as the Kifaru Super tarp. It weighs 23.5 oz. for just the shell and packs down really small. I personally like a bigger tipi size for solo- but picked up one of these for the wife and I to use in a pinch- and I think it is a great value.

Add a tyvek ground sheet, and reasonably priced pad, and a sleeping bag and your set.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
If I were you I would seriously consider renting gear or spending the majority of your funds on 1 really quality piece and renting the rest. If you continue to hunt past next year you are gonna want to upgrade your stuff anyway and if you decide that it's not for you, you won't be stuck with gear.

Everybody is different and it'll take nights in the field to determine what you like or maybe I should say, what you can best put up with.

You could rent a BA Fly Creek UL2, BA lost Ranger bag and a pad for a little more than $100 for a week.