Affordable Rain Gear for one off rainy days.

Hey guys I am sure this has been covered but In my searching, I didn't find to much. I would love to hear from you all what is some rain gear you all have tried that was budget-friendly and got the job done well for the one of situations we will all run into. I tried the Frogg disposable type rain gear which worked good for lite rain, but this last weekend I did a turkey hunt and it was raining pretty good and we were walking around for about 6 hours straight. Needless to say my sitka Timberline pants soaked through really fast, and all my top layers were soaked through. Even with the frogg rain coat. The only thing dry was my feet (Crispi summits boots and first lite traverse 2.0 gaiters that worked great)
Looking for something decent in the $100-150 range, doesn't have to be a huge name brand just something that works surprisingly well for the price point.
If you could list your recommendations and the pro's and cons it would be very helpful!
Thanks
Cory

fmyth

WKR
U.S. Military surplus gore-tex jacket and pants. I bought a set for $100 at a local mil surp store. They are heavy so I keep them in the UTV. I'll wear them over my hunting clothes for the ride in and out when its really cold or raining. In my pack I carry a lightweight Mountain Hardware rain jacket (w pit zips) I picked up on sale for under $100. It works well to block wind and keeps me warm when worn over a hooded EB down jacket ($34 at Costco right now). I also carry large trash bag and a small tarp in my pack for times when I get caught out in a storm. So far this combo has worked well for my AZ, CO and WY archery and rifle hunts. If I ever make it to the PNW or AK I'll spend the $ on KUIU's Yukon jacket and pants.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 9.58.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 9.58.52 AM.png
    547.6 KB · Views: 66
OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
That military gortex is a Good Idea, I am however hoping to find something lightweight to just leave in my pack basically. I might have to check out my local surplus store.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on just sitting to wait out some rain, the Frogg Toggs packable rain gear is hard to beat. The moment you move though they disintegrate. Kings may be your best option.

Lightweight/packable for occasional/just-in-case use in light terrain with best bang-for-buck quality in the $100-$150 range. Sounds like the Marmot PreCip Eco. Top and bottoms are $100 each regular retail but can be found cheaper on sale, and they weigh about 10oz each. They have pit zips and decent fit, and hold up fine in light-moderate rain.

Disclaimer, I haven’t used the adult version, but my kids have used the less expensive kid version (no sense going expensive for growing boys) hunting for grouse and squirrels in the rain and they have worked very well (better than my Helly Hansen cloth rain jacket).

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
Lightweight/packable for occasional/just-in-case use in light terrain with best bang-for-buck quality in the $100-$150 range. Sounds like the Marmot PreCip Eco. Top and bottoms are $100 each regular retail but can be found cheaper on sale, and they weigh about 10oz each. They have pit zips and decent fit, and hold up fine in light-moderate rain.

Disclaimer, I haven’t used the adult version, but my kids have used the less expensive kid version (no sense going expensive for growing boys) hunting for grouse and squirrels in the rain and they have worked very well (better than my Helly Hansen cloth rain jacket).
I actually get a huge discount on this brand too. Do you know if the Marmot PRecip is is fully waterproof, it doesnt say anything about gortex. or a waterproof rating. I wonder which is better the precip or precip eco.

Columbia makes a lightweight rain shell. I’ve used mine from time to time and it’s adequate for occasional rain and it’s held up pretty good over the last couple years. packs up small and is lightweight too

Holocene

WKR
Helly Hansen Impertech.

They have jackets, pants, and full bibs.

These garments are polyurethane coated so truly waterproof, meaning no water in, no water out. They are not breathable like Gore-tex and similar fabrics, which ultimately break down over time anyway.

I actually get a huge discount on this brand too. Do you know if the Marmot PRecip is is fully waterproof, it doesnt say anything about gortex. or a waterproof rating. I wonder which is better the precip or precip eco.
It's not Goretex. Ours say 100% nylon; they list them as a proprietary fabric technology, but they are a breathable coated shell. I would agree it does still breathe and is waterproof, but I don't know its rating (though it's not as good as higher-end Goretex). Ours are older pre-eco jackets, sorry I can't say which is better. Again, though, what you are getting is excellent-for-the-price backpacking/hiking raingear.

Last edited:
Santa is bringing me an outdoor research foray suit soon. That too will be in your ballpark range. I have no experience with it however I saw decent reviews.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I put my wife in precip and we picked elderberries on a biblical rain day. Trust me, iir it would have leaked, she would have let me know!

She was active and stayed happy. Both the pants and jacket fit in a sleeping pad bag.

ljalberta

WKR
I love the Precip for this use and price range. I have not used them since they added the word "eco" to the name, but if it's all the same as it was prior, then you'll have a hard time finding a better option at this price point. I'll be buying a new one this year myself.

Kitten

FNG
If you want ultra budget friendly and actually pretty decent, the Frogg Togg ultra lite 2 jacket is $25 on amazon. Comes with a little stuff sack, too. It is not fancy at all, but it seemed to get the job done for me.

Jimss

WKR
Do yourself a favor and take a look at Marmot Precip. I have Sitka rain gear but also have several sets of MP because they are so cheap and work so well. I've put my MP through the ringer in Alaska, CO, and WY. I bought mine for around $50 each online. Sierra Trading and others used to carry it. The MP have pitzips on their jackets which is a necessity. I use the MP over my waders a lot in Alaska for fishing and they've held up well against some pretty bad downpours. MP breaths fairly similar to my high dollar Sitka when active. In fact, they are probably about the same. They also are super light and compact. I bought my MP in green and brown so they blend in a little for scouting and hunting. I can guarantee you won't be able to beat MP for the price!