Affordable trail cams

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for affordable, but highly functional trail cams. Any suggestions?

Disposable ? How long do they record for ?

I may have misinterpreted "affordable" as "cheap". I like the browning models for "affordable" non-cell cams at that $120-190 price point.

It seems like all of the "affordable" chinese made options have a chance of working trouble free for years or crapping the bed before the first season is over. The browning have been good to me though. Some of them struggle a bit when temps get into the teens and lower.

OP
Brooks051

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. Not looking to be cheap but also not looking to break the bank.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a tacticam for 120 at red head. The picture quality is very good, it's a cell cam so you have to set up service but it isn't real expensive. I think I picked 500 pics per month for $8

OP
Brooks051

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a tacticam for 120 at red head. The picture quality is very good, it's a cell cam so you have to set up service but it isn't real expensive. I think I picked 500 pics per month for $8
Thank you. That’s not a bad service price.

Grecco

FNG
I have found victure cameras they hava a hc300 model I think. If you watch ebay and amazon you can find them for 40 ish. I have 10 of them. They seem to have better color in the pictures and easier to use with more features and camera options then the 2 stealth cams I have (they are the low end models)

I've had good luck and like the primo proof 3 cams, stealth cams are hit or miss, I'm not a fan of the cuddeback menu controls but they perform well, Moultrie cams are junk in my opinion.

You'll have more success with placing cams above the animals eye level and angling them down. Don't face the cam into the sun. Exodus trail cams have some good podcast on the how and why regarding trail cams.

OP
Brooks051

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good luck and like the primo proof 3 cams, stealth cams are hit or miss, I'm not a fan of the cuddeback menu controls but they perform well, Moultrie cams are junk in my opinion.

You'll have more success with placing cams above the animals eye level and angling them down. Don't face the cam into the sun. Exodus trail cams have some good podcast on the how and why regarding trail cams.
Thank you. I will check out that podcast.

OP
Brooks051

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had real good luck with Wildview cameras, I got them on sale for $35 a piece.

I also had a couple cheap tasco cameras, I only have one left that I’m going to smash. The picture quality was poor but what can you expect for $30. I watched them take pictures of deer under my stand after shooting hours, when I pulled the card I found it didn’t store the pics. I try different cards and sometimes the pic files would be on the card but when I tried to view them there was nothing there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCL

WKR
Tried a lot of cheap cameras and none have done as well as my Brownings.

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Tactacam Reveal. I bought the Gen 1 last year and used it all deer season and leave it out now for hog hunting. Great service and reliability so far. Local walmart has them for $119 and plans start at $5

Reddfin

FNG
I’ve had real good luck with Wildview cameras, I got them on sale for $35 a piece.

I also had a couple cheap tasco cameras, I only have one left that I’m going to smash. The picture quality was poor but what can you expect for $30. I watched them take pictures of deer under my stand after shooting hours, when I pulled the card I found it didn’t store the pics. I try different cards and sometimes the pic files would be on the card but when I tried to view them there was nothing there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That may be a formatting issue. Can't stress enough how important it is to format your SD card before you deploy your camera and probably a good idea to reformat every season.
Also don't use an adapter. Meaning if it takes a standard SD card dont use a micro SD card with a SD card adapter. Just another thing to go wrong.
I like the cell cam. I been using g Spypoints this season. They co e right to my phone. Very decent pics for about. They have a referral program too. You get $15 in points for the monthly service or $50 off as a mail in rebate on the next camera purchase.