Afognak Elk 2022

BowMan86

FNG
I got lucky and drew the DE 717 elk tag for Afognak Island. I have never been to Afognak, but have hunted goats on Kodiak so I understand a little of what to expect with weather and terrain. A buddy and I are booked to fly out with Seahawk air on the 6th and returning the 19th of October. I didnt originally plan to head in 2 days prior to the season but that is all they had left. I have looked over the map and picked out a few places that I think would be good, but I honestly am not sure where to begin with finding elk there, aside from getting high and glassing. Just curious if anyone who has hunted the area would mind sending me a PM to discuss the area and possible places to start out. I would really appreciate any assistance you could provide. Thanks.

Thomas11

WKR
Destination elk(Corey Jacobsen) posted their video last nite on this hunt. It was pretty eye opening. I’d suggest watching it. Like it got down right dangerous for them. Said he’d never do it again but he did kill an amazing elk day one

OP
BowMan86

BowMan86

FNG
Destination elk(Corey Jacobsen) posted their video last nite on this hunt. It was pretty eye opening. I’d suggest watching it. Like it got down right dangerous for them. Said he’d never do it again but he did kill an amazing elk day one
Just watched the video as well. Good representation of the type of weather to expect there. I think having a big warm base tent to comeback to makes all the difference in the world. It makes the crappy days bearable knowing you can comeback and get dry. That’s why I invested in an Arctic oven 12 as soon as I knew I would try to make it down to Kodiak on a yearly basis.

Just watched the video as well. Good representation of the type of weather to expect there. I think having a big warm base tent to comeback to makes all the difference in the world. It makes the crappy days bearable knowing you can comeback and get dry. That’s why I invested in an Arctic oven 12 as soon as I knew I would try to make it down to Kodiak on a yearly basis.

Is there dry fuel to burn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BowMan86

BowMan86

FNG
Got it. Propane stove inside the tent. Mrheater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s made by nu way. Looks almost identical to a wood burning stove with the pipes and everything but runs off of propane. Totally safe to run in your tent with the vents open.

akbrett

FNG
elk 101 alaska elk video is etolin island in south east alaska. afognak island is part of the Kodiak Archipelago north of kodiak island.
the video does a great job showing the challenges of hunting elk in alaska. even though it’s not the exact area your going i think there’s a lot of similarities. biggest difference is more bears on afognak

LostArra

WKR
elk 101 alaska elk video is etolin island in south east alaska. afognak island is part of the Kodiak Archipelago north of kodiak island.
the video does a great job showing the challenges of hunting elk in alaska. even though it’s not the exact area your going i think there’s a lot of similarities. biggest difference is more bears on afognak
Did they ever mention which island they were hunting in the video? I was guessing Etolin or Zarembo. I have fished the area many times but never stepped foot on the islands.

I heard Corey describe the hunt on a podcast and he didn't name the island or mention the bear on the video that took some meat.

Meateater has Afognak elk video and bear encounter not on film

WRO

WKR
It looked like a black bear on the video. To my knowledge there's no black bears in afognak

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Did they ever mention which island they were hunting in the video? I was guessing Etolin or Zarembo. I have fished the area many times but never stepped foot on the islands.

I heard Corey describe the hunt on a podcast and he didn't name the island or mention the bear on the video that took some meat.

Meateater has Afognak elk video and bear encounter not on film

I don't remember the exact numbers, but the elevations he mentioned in the podcast were too high for Afognak. I figured it was Etolin or one of those close as well.

LA Hunter

FNG
I couldn't confirm the island Corey hunted, but it seems pretty easy to at least determine the Unit he hunted.

Unit 3 - Petersburg Wrangell is the only one that has an archery permit available in all of Alaska. Its season runs from September 1-30. Wrangell, Etolin, and Zarembo islands are all in this unit. Etolin island is my best guess since they were first transplanted there. Zarembo also has elk on that island. I do not know of other islands in this unit that have Roosevelt Elk.

Afognak does not have an official archery season, but it does have one rifle season that starts early, September 25.

Seeknelk

WKR
Crampons and beasty one piece trecking poles and all synthetic puffy stuff , baselayers and sleeping bag. You will be wet the whole time most likely. Practice sleeping your baselayers dry in your bag. See if and how it works for you. Stuff I would start with. No dry wood to burn most likey as well .

TaperPin

WKR
I’m curious to - the bears in that area know a gunshot is an easy gut pile.

OP
BowMan86

BowMan86

FNG
I didn’t end up going. My buddy that was gonna go with be backed out and I couldn’t make it make sense to go out by myself.