afognak elk hunt

So I was lucky enough to draw a tag for an elk hunt on the eastern half of afognak DE723. I've never hunted elk and have never been to afognak. Looking for some advice from anyone who has been there and chased elk around. Thanks for the help!

jherald

WKR
Looks like its the year of the Elk. I drew a tag for Etolin Island.

I would start talking with ADFG biologists for the area, they are usually very helpful and willing to give some info.

So I was lucky enough to draw a tag for an elk hunt on the eastern half of afognak DE723. I've never hunted elk and have never been to afognak. Looking for some advice from anyone who has been there and chased elk around. Thanks for the help!

Tasty,

I drew the DE723 tag as well, Do you have a partner yet? I'm looking to get with someone.

mildsauce

FNG
Congrats,
I drew Raspberry Island Cow tag, should be fun. Never been to Raspberry or Afognak.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice! I got to tag along on a trip out to Raspberry a few years ago. It was one heck of a trip. Amazing place. Best of luck!

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
From what I've read and watched, they're a shit load of bears.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
High Country do you have any recommendations on the area or any knowledge on what to expect from there?

I was on Raspberry Island. It was quite the adventure. Did see lots of bear sign and a few bears. If Raspberry is where you are headed feel free to PM me for my number. It would be easier to just talk through it. ;)

A few threads to look at here:
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...nd-Alaska-question&highlight=Raspberry+Island
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...a-Raspberry-Island&highlight=Raspberry+Island

I saw elk and just focused on Raspberry, if your looking for other areas I apologize for taking this thread off track...

Last edited:

m_willis

FNG
Might be a lost cause, but interested in how the hunt(s) panned out. I'm starting to put it with a hunting partner for Afognak, and intend to keep that going until one or both of us draw...Just trying to do my due diligence. What worked what didnt?