Afognak Island, AK 2019

ramses342

FNG
nice work!! those are some studs! ever hunt them late Oct-Nov there? never hear much about Afognak late season blackies. really want to go up and hunt sitka blacktails in the next few years... will be Nov though for me, and POW is what i'm leaning on (really want one of those bright orange racked POW bucks in late season cape
SE Alaskan here. POW has been in a down turn the last three or four years just a heads up. But its all relative because guys tell stories about ten years ago when you could go over for the day on a big boat with three guys and coming back at night with 6-12 deer. I don't know many people from SE who go there anymore to hunt deer, its went from stupid full of deer to having a pretty SE typical density is what I have heard so its not bad by any stretch of the imagination just not what it was. I wonder in a few years how the population will be.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! Some bombers there! Filling all (3) tags is about as good as it gets, but the quality of those bucks is incredible. Thanks for posting, and congrats!

SE Alaskan here. POW has been in a down turn the last three or four years just a heads up. But its all relative because guys tell stories about ten years ago when you could go over for the day on a big boat with three guys and coming back at night with 6-12 deer. I don't know many people from SE who go there anymore to hunt deer, its went from stupid full of deer to having a pretty SE typical density is what I have heard so its not bad by any stretch of the imagination just not what it was. I wonder in a few years how the population will be.
I appreciate the info! I can keep my expectations realistic, it's all relative. part of me wanting to go is unfinished business working up there 2yrs and not hunting.... it's an amazing place, and I don't mind tough hunting 😉

I am wondering how the op kept his deer from spoiling on this hunt ?
Anyone have experience on how to take care of the meat on these early season flout hunts ?

Thanks