Afognak Island, AK 2019

CDVhunter

FNG
It has been many years since I was able to make it out for the 1st week of deer season. Decided to make it a priority this year. I flew out to Afognak Island on July 31st. Kodiak was already 2 weeks into a dry spell, very uncommon for that area. I spent 10 days hunting and didn’t put on my rain gear once. Blue skies the entire time. There were not as many deer above tree line as I had hoped for, all the ponds up top were completely dry and the vegetation was already about half yellow due to the hot weather. I was able to find the mature bucks I was after though and punched all 3 of my tags for unit 8.
381ad9ec80c09f9ea9b4d8a7ce07b8a8.jpg
71b7370936fdb37e1ce6ba1c2fc81608.jpg
a3aeb456576578711efb8433c34c09f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CDVhunter

CDVhunter

FNG
Great bucks!!! That last one looks a little "cactus" style?

Yeah that one had a bunch of those growths they can get sometimes. Not sure what causes it but doesn’t effect the antlers at all. I stripped the velvet off that one and stained them. Turned out pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramses342

FNG
Lots of bears. Saw 13 in one day. Didn’t have any issues other than being pushed out of a silver fishing hole by a 10+ footer.

That's crazy about not seeing any bears. My two buddies drew the Afognek elk tag and spent a whole week there this year. They both got nice elk on the last day they were there but they said they saw only one bear when they were flying out and that was it. They also said they saw only a few dear as well. Man your deer are really cool! The islands around me rarely produce deer that nice.

miloak

FNG
Well done. Afognak can be a great hunt or a it can be a sound ass whipping.

nice work!! those are some studs! ever hunt them late Oct-Nov there? never hear much about Afognak late season blackies. really want to go up and hunt sitka blacktails in the next few years... will be Nov though for me, and POW is what i'm leaning on (really want one of those bright orange racked POW bucks in late season cape