Afognak Island Elk Hunt

finneyz

FNG
15-20 oct is our scheduled right now. I think we will need to push that to 7-8 days total for logistic reasons. We are going to have 4 total in our party. Hope to split up and get some scouting in first day or so in different areas. I have hunted elk in AZ/NM but not The Roosevelt. Do they have a later rut here? Are we going to be at the tail end or post rut?

OP
Krieg Hetzen

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I’m scheduled for 17th-27th, 5 days in the draw season and 5 days in the registration season so the guys accompanying me have a shot at elk as well. No clue the rut or anything like that, this is my first elk hunt. We are planning on Elk and Deer and hunting them the same way, spot and stalk up high. I’ll get my camp spot(s) from the transporter when the time gets closer. The cabin sounds like an awesome idea but if we fly in and see a better spot I want the flexibility to do that without getting cold.

According to the ADF&G draw hunt map and the state land use map, I should have very little native land to contend with, I believe most of it will be right along the border of the draw zone from what I can remember.

crich

WKR
I’m scheduled for 17th-27th, 5 days in the draw season and 5 days in the registration season so the guys accompanying me have a shot at elk as well. No clue the rut or anything like that, this is my first elk hunt. We are planning on Elk and Deer and hunting them the same way, spot and stalk up high. I’ll get my camp spot(s) from the transporter when the time gets closer. The cabin sounds like an awesome idea but if we fly in and see a better spot I want the flexibility to do that without getting cold.

According to the ADF&G draw hunt map and the state land use map, I should have very little native land to contend with, I believe most of it will be right along the border of the draw zone from what I can remember.
Hey OP how'd your hunt pan out?

OP
Krieg Hetzen

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
My hunt turned into an expensive camping trip! Covered everything we could reach within a day and make it back to camp before dark (only about 2 miles). Saw tons of deer and bear sign, sign for 1 elk maybe 2 but couldnt find anything larger than a fox or beaver. Spent two days stuck in the tent due to horizontal rain and then had one day to hunt followed by another day stuck in the tent. All told we had 9 days to hunt, spent 3 in the tent, 1 day was lost due to trying to get out a day earlier than planned that was canceled due to high winds and 5 actual days of hunting. The first 5 days were gorgeous, very against the weather I was expecting and then the last 4 were what we expected to have to deal with. I ended up on the eat side of Laura Lake and hunted nothing but the timber, so it was all still hunting which I will admit that I dont have a good track record of success with. So my buddy and I are going to skip next year in Afognak to do some more planning. We are thinking of going with the remainder hunt and hunting above Manilla Bay. It looks closer to the type of spot and stalk hunting I am more familiar with.

We flew with Willy Fulton of Kodiak Air Service and had a good time. He's a one man crew so some allowances are made for that (cant expect drop of the hat communications when hes flies all day but he always got back to me). I will most likely fly with him again when we go back to Afognak. I have nothing bad to say about the guy and I enjoyed having him as the pilot.

As for gear and stuff... We were the lightest group by far that he flew out up to that point of the season. The only thing we should have brought was another half liner for my Redcliff (only had the side we slept in) and some camp chairs. Had a Silky hand saw that handled all the wood, rented a bear fence, the Plano sportmans large and medium totes are bulletproof (the large one, when empty, was a chair for me and my buddy with all our crap on. No damage at all to it). I have some gear to replace that didnt get through moose and elk seasons without damage like my Nemo Sonic 0 bag, FL guide pants and FL uncomphagre puffy stuff (I'm not a careful guy, dead tree branches poke holes in it).

All in all it was a great time, just frustrating to not see anything much less come home to tag soup. I would 100% recommend doing the hunt though. Its good, honest hard work and I thoroughly enjoyed going to Henrys in Kodiak afterwards for my burger after the hunt.

m_willis

FNG
My hunt turned into an expensive camping trip! Covered everything we could reach within a day and make it back to camp before dark (only about 2 miles). Saw tons of deer and bear sign, sign for 1 elk maybe 2 but couldnt find anything larger than a fox or beaver. Spent two days stuck in the tent due to horizontal rain and then had one day to hunt followed by another day stuck in the tent. All told we had 9 days to hunt, spent 3 in the tent, 1 day was lost due to trying to get out a day earlier than planned that was canceled due to high winds and 5 actual days of hunting. The first 5 days were gorgeous, very against the weather I was expecting and then the last 4 were what we expected to have to deal with. I ended up on the eat side of Laura Lake and hunted nothing but the timber, so it was all still hunting which I will admit that I dont have a good track record of success with. So my buddy and I are going to skip next year in Afognak to do some more planning. We are thinking of going with the remainder hunt and hunting above Manilla Bay. It looks closer to the type of spot and stalk hunting I am more familiar with.

We flew with Willy Fulton of Kodiak Air Service and had a good time. He's a one man crew so some allowances are made for that (cant expect drop of the hat communications when hes flies all day but he always got back to me). I will most likely fly with him again when we go back to Afognak. I have nothing bad to say about the guy and I enjoyed having him as the pilot.

As for gear and stuff... We were the lightest group by far that he flew out up to that point of the season. The only thing we should have brought was another half liner for my Redcliff (only had the side we slept in) and some camp chairs. Had a Silky hand saw that handled all the wood, rented a bear fence, the Plano sportmans large and medium totes are bulletproof (the large one, when empty, was a chair for me and my buddy with all our crap on. No damage at all to it). I have some gear to replace that didnt get through moose and elk seasons without damage like my Nemo Sonic 0 bag, FL guide pants and FL uncomphagre puffy stuff (I'm not a careful guy, dead tree branches poke holes in it).

All in all it was a great time, just frustrating to not see anything much less come home to tag soup. I would 100% recommend doing the hunt though. Its good, honest hard work and I thoroughly enjoyed going to Henrys in Kodiak afterwards for my burger after the hunt.
I'm hoping to draw on this hunt next year. If not, I'll keep trying. In the meantime, do you have a comprehensive list/breakdown on the gear? Gathering you were able to stay light definitely has my intrigue...

finneyz

FNG
I'm hoping to draw on this hunt next year. If not, I'll keep trying. In the meantime, do you have a comprehensive list/breakdown on the gear? Gathering you were able to stay light definitely has my intrigue...
Depends on your location and level of suck to endure! Rain gear is a must (don’t skimp) I ran Stone Glacier pants and Kuiu jacket (I would recommend SG jacket...the pants out performed the Kuiu jacket and made me a believer).
Bag I run Stone Glacier, buddies ran Mystery Ranch, I am just a huge fan of SG so I may be biased.
Tent depends on where you go. If in forested area can get away with ultralight weight. If our in the more open areas or near the ocean, definitely want heavier and more resistant to the wind! I ran a Big Agnes 3 person ultralight copper. Loved it and runs about 3 lbs with foot print.
My group rented one of the public use cabins. It was AWESOME to come back after 3-4 days soaked and tired to light up a fire and dry everything out. Made the next 3-4 day adventure so much easier.
I run an MSR pocket rocket and cook set. Platypus 2L filter system was another must. No issues for the group and I ran about 30-40 L of water through it.
Gaiters were a solid choice for me, I know people run on different side of the fence, but I think they were needed.
I went a week prior to Kraig and had fantastic weather (two days of solid rain in the forest was manageable and did a lot of hiking/hunting without an issue) other days were cold and crisp...just beautiful! I am hooked now! There is something about that island, just a cool place!

m_willis

FNG
Depends on your location and level of suck to endure! Rain gear is a must (don’t skimp) I ran Stone Glacier pants and Kuiu jacket (I would recommend SG jacket...the pants out performed the Kuiu jacket and made me a believer).
Bag I run Stone Glacier, buddies ran Mystery Ranch, I am just a huge fan of SG so I may be biased.
Tent depends on where you go. If in forested area can get away with ultralight weight. If our in the more open areas or near the ocean, definitely want heavier and more resistant to the wind! I ran a Big Agnes 3 person ultralight copper. Loved it and runs about 3 lbs with foot print.
My group rented one of the public use cabins. It was AWESOME to come back after 3-4 days soaked and tired to light up a fire and dry everything out. Made the next 3-4 day adventure so much easier.
I run an MSR pocket rocket and cook set. Platypus 2L filter system was another must. No issues for the group and I ran about 30-40 L of water through it.
Gaiters were a solid choice for me, I know people run on different side of the fence, but I think they were needed.
I went a week prior to Kraig and had fantastic weather (two days of solid rain in the forest was manageable and did a lot of hiking/hunting without an issue) other days were cold and crisp...just beautiful! I am hooked now! There is something about that island, just a cool place!
Thanks, @finneyz I like the SG packs as well, haven't tried their apparel yet, but that might be a good investment if the draw happens for us. Might have to wait on the OP, but were you successful, then? It seems like most folks should at least get to bag a deer if the herd can't be found nearby...

OP
Krieg Hetzen

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I too ran the SG rain gear (top and bottom) plus a set of grundens. Ran a SO Redcliff with a half liner and the SXL stove (going to add another half liner). Other gear was:
Nemo Sonic 0degree bag with Nemo insulated tensor sleeping pad on a thermalite ultralight cot (cot was junk).
FL Uncomphagre top and bottom
FL 200gr weight merion top and bottom
Sitka mountain gloves
Carhart beanie
Jetboil w/2 fuel cans (only needed one)
20 MH meals (dinner)
20 top ramen packets (lunch, the salt was needed)
40ish oatmeal packets with a bag of protein powder (breakfast)
Silky hand saw
SG 7900 pack with rain cover
Vortex bino pack with 10x42 diamonbacks and a nikon 4k black LRF with the vortex field lens cleaning kit thingy
Rifle was a Christenson MPR in 300PRC and buddy had my Howa 1500 in 7mm
XDm 10mm and a HK USPc .45
Gridfleece, woobie hoodie, sweat pants and a tshirt
3 pairs socks
3 pairs of underwear
2 lightweight tarp
batteries, 550 cord
game bags (TAG and grizzly for 2 elk and 4 deer)
2 kill kits (axe, few knives)
Gravity and squeeze water filter

Pretty much it. Rented a bear fence and still came in almost 200lbs under the 800lbs price point. Could of run camp chairs, a big tarp, chain saw and more food and still been good. When I go back ill get better puffys, bring a larger hardshell to run over the top of everything (I got my SG tight for sheep hunting). Our pilot said we were the lightest group by far. We didnt have issues with food though, I just want more cause I like to eat. Also we run PSTs on the rifles so theyre not lightweight. Really did feel like we were missing anything important. Wood stove was great to dry shit out.