African outfitters?

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have suggestions for an African outfitter/Guide? I'm thinking plains game - probably rifle but I wouldn't mind trying with my curve. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

I've hunted with a few of them. Depending on what you are looking for, I'd be happy to put you in touch with PHs I know and trust. My top 2 would be Bayly Sippel Hunting Safaris, and Jaco at SpreeuWal Wilds Plaas. If you are specifically looking at dangerous game, or want a super posh accommodation, I have others as well.

My biggest piece of advice is "just go". Africa is unlike anywhere else, and definitely worth the trip.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been many times. It really depends on where you want to go and what you’re looking for in your hunt. There are very few “wild” places left in South Africa. Those places that are not game farm style hunts will all be way north near Kreuger and will be quite expensive. I have hunted up there with Duke safaris and can highly recommend Roelof and John.
If you want to hunt truly wild Africa, the way it’s supposed to be, I’d recommend going to Mozambique or Zimbabwe. Moshabanzou safaris (Grant Taylor) will take good care of you. I’ve hunted with him and Richard Kok quite a bit. Great guys and awesome to hunt with. I just got back from a Cameroon safari with them. They set everything up and we had a great time in a truly wild place. The way Africa is supposed to be experienced!

I’ve been many times. It really depends on where you want to go and what you’re looking for in your hunt. There are very few “wild” places left in South Africa. Those places that are not game farm style hunts will all be way north near Kreuger and will be quite expensive. I have hunted up there with Duke safaris and can highly recommend Roelof and John.
If you want to hunt truly wild Africa, the way it’s supposed to be, I’d recommend going to Mozambique or Zimbabwe. Moshabanzou safaris (Grant Taylor) will take good care of you. I’ve hunted with him and Richard Kok quite a bit. Great guys and awesome to hunt with. I just got back from a Cameroon safari with them. They set everything up and we had a great time in a truly wild place. The way Africa is supposed to be experienced!
How do prices compare on those safaris to the South Africa hunt? Some day would like to go but seem cost prohibitive....

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
They’re actually quite comparable. The biggest price differences will be travel bc you’re having to take an additional flight out of JoBurg to wherever your final destination is. I’ve done the game farm hunts. You’ll see A LOT of animals but hell, you could come to the Hill country of Texas and do most of that. Mozambique would be my choice for a first timer who wants to get a glimpse of what Africa should be like. You won’t see as much game BUT you will be hunting, cutting tracks, walking/stalking, the whole experience vs riding around in a Land Cruiser and shooting stuff that your PH points out. I’ve done them both, many times, but I enjoy the hunt and experience as much or more than the killing part.

I’ve got a trip booked with White Lion Safaris, anyone ever hunted with that outfit? They have great reviews from what I’ve seen. I’ve watched a bunch of their stuff on YouTube. Really excited!

ODB

WKR
A friend has hunter with Andrew Baldry at Kafue Royale in Zambia. Might check our Thor Kirchner as well in the Laungwa.

Ken Moody Safaris is excellent. I have been seeing all his positive reviews on a popular bow hunting website for probably 15 years that I have been on that site. He is an American, and goes over there for the hunting season each year. Very Very detail oriented guy. Ask him any questions about the trip and he'll give you an honest answer. I booked in 2017 and went on the trip in 2019. Anytime I called him or emailed him with questions, I always got an immediate respsone.

I have dealt with a lot of different businesses in all aspects of life. I have met few people that operate their business as well as him.

We ended up booking 10 days of hunting. I was waiting to see how spending 10 days straight with a bunch of strangers was going to go. Ken, his wife, and all the people working for him were great. Every one was very easy to get a long with, and fun to hang out with when not hunting. We were bow hunting plains game from blinds or tree stands at water holes.

MattB

WKR
I haven't been, but came to recommend Ken Moody based on the experiences of a lot of guys I know who have gone to SA with him. We used to hunt pigs with him in TN when he owned Clark Range.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
besthunt.co.za.

One of my lifelong friends. Andre Viljoen. A living legend and very cool guy. Been teaching a PH school for decades and knows every ranch.

If your a first timer do a 4-5 animal package on a big game farm. Those critters are NOT tame and they know how to use the cover. Smaller farms in the 2000 acre range are not cool.

prm

WKR
I‘ll second Duke Safaris. First class people. I’ve hunted with them once and planning a trip back for next year. Many friends have hunted them multiple times. Never heard even the slightest negative comment.

Sevens

WKR

Here’s a link to Grant’s operation. Send him an email and visit with him on the phone. He’s a great guy and won’t fill you full of bs.
Hunted with Grant in 2011 in Mozambique. Good guy and would happily hunt with him again. Mozambique is absolutely beautiful. Took a nice buffalo there as well, which is currently hanging in my office as I type this.

I've booked all my safaris through Greg Brownlee at Neal & Brownlee, LLC (https://www.nealandbrownlee.com/) Always found it more convenient to have someone handle the nitty gritty for international trips. They're always up-to-date on the rules and regulations since they're doing this all year long.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Most first time hunters going across the pond do Plains game in South Africa or Namibia. Most PG hunts are 5-7 days and the only limit usually is your bank account. Done 6 trip to Africa and working on number 7. There have been some solid recommendations posted. South Africa is a big country so look at the region where the concession is located. Most flights arrive in Joberg

I will also throw in Andrew Harvey of Safari Trails International located on the Eastern Cape. https://safari-international.com/

Have known him 12 years, and he stays with me when doing his American house tour. I have over 20 friends that have hunted with him over the last decade without an issue. Another great source for no bull African hunting info is accuratereloading.com

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
How much ballpark are you looking at for a 5-7 day hunt in SA, Mozambique, or Namibia? I’m sure it’s a very wide range, but I’m curious about a rough range. My wife gave an emphatic “Hell yea!” Last night when I mentioned in passing hunting in Africa

I’m about to go back for my second Namibian safari with Schalk Pieneer. A true badass hunter and operation. Let me know if you want to be connected…