After 21 years, it appears I will have my LE Elk tag

Firehawk

WKR
I changed things up this year due to the well documented issues of Point Creep. I went into Utah's Resident draw, with 20 LE Elk points. The unit I had been applying for has had such severe point creep, that my odds were worse this year than they were last year, the year before and even the year before that. I decided it was time to use the points and did some research.

Yesterday, I got the notice that I had a $285 pending charge on my card for a tag. Assuming I drew my first choice, I will be rifle hunting in September for good bulls on the Pilot Mountain range along the Nevada/Utah border (includes the Nevada side on Unit 091 too). I know it isn't as sexy as the Fillmore/Pahvant I had been applying for, but I wanted to get some hunting in while I was still able to. And the rate that creep was working, I would likely have never drawn a tag down there. Crazy to think about that really.

So...if any of you all want to share intel on the Pilot Range or Navada Unit 091, I am all ears (and eyes). I have a friend who killed a good bull in 2016 and he is going to show me around a bit. I have hunted a lot in the range just North of this area, so I am somewhat familiar with the terrain, but it will be a new area for me. My first "boots on the ground" trip will be Memorial Day weekend. I am way excited to go get this done, even if I have to "settle" for a 330-340 bull. Biggest bull I have killed to this point is a two year old 4x5 that is barely bigger than my largest muley. Lol. Really, I have had to seriously consider what I was trying to accomplish. And when I really thought things through over the past couple of years, I discovered I really wanted to kill a nice 6 point bull, create memories with good friends, hear the elk bugling and come away with some memories to share forever. I can get that accomplished on this unit.

Anyway, I will make sure the Kimber 325 WSM rifle is ready, and I began a dedicated workout program yesterday (I know, too late, but better late than never). Here we go....

Last edited:
NV&UT have an agreement and take turns since border splits mtn range.
Congrats on the tag. Not a ton of elk and the top end seems to have declined but awesome county.
I'd suggest glassing to locate then move in and call if needed. But water may trump all other methods this year.
You'll have a great hunt!

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
How do you hunt Nevada with a Utah tag?
As Mtnrunner260 suggested, there is a collaboration between the states. Each year, some from each state can draw the tag and hunt either side of the range. It alternates which state has the most each year I think. Last year, Utah had 10 tags and I think it was also 10 in Nevada last year.

Buck197

WKR
Congratulations on the draw. Work hard and blow the horns off of that 4x5 you previously got, and post us all some pictures. Good luck.

nobody

WKR
Congrats sir! I know less than nothing about the unit, but any chance to hunt limited entry elk is is a blessing! Good luck!

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
NV&UT have an agreement and take turns since border splits mtn range.
Congrats on the tag. Not a ton of elk and the top end seems to have declined but awesome county.
I'd suggest glassing to locate then move in and call if needed. But water may trump all other methods this year.
You'll have a great hunt!
The rate the water has been coming this winter/spring, we may find all of the elk within a few miles of the creek and pivots in the area. We NEED some rain and soon.

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
If I fill my LE Elk tag on a good bull, I will give EVERYONE a big hug.

But yeah, the LE elk tag is $285 for a resident. Multi Season LE Elk is like $515 or something and a regular general season bull elk tag is $50.

OP
Firehawk

Firehawk

WKR
Well...I am still missing the email confirming everything, but the "pending charge" has been moved to an official charge on my card. So....I am feeling like the email has to be close. ha ha ha