After market strings? Which ones are good for a Hoyt rx3 ultra?

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
The 60Xs I just bought and put on myself seem to of settled very nicely and shoot very good. I have not used them long enough to give any more info then that.

fatlander

WKR
Catfish customs, JBK, twisted-x and buck Slayer have all done right by me and made fantastic strings that had zero creep as long as I had the bow.

One other name that has been mentioned here in this thread a lot has been known to pump out subpar strings (lots of creep, way out spec, premature serving separation), have a general bad attitude towards customer complaints and silences their voices because they’re big sponsors and friends with moderators on another forum. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Ex wolverine is top shelf however like it was said he hasn’t taken many new customers, he sometimes takes a while too so if your not patient...you might want to look at someone else.

Breathen ( Johns Custom Archery) is excellent, I have never had any issues. Consistently the best I ever seen.

Bow string Depot ( hutch ) is good, pretty quick and good quality work.

Every build I I ever got from Bart Shortall, xfire strings been good.

I have used, installed and tuned a bunch others as well. Some of the bigger guys like WC, Vaportail and 60x I have seen both good and some not so good sets, In fairness most have been serviceable.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
I think Park-N-Sons is back to making strings for the public. There was a time where he shut down his website and was only building for some select people. He has since made a new website and it appears to be building again.

I like his strings/cables for Hoyts because he shoots them and know the exact specs for the build. Hoyt doesn't publish the correct lengths of the cables and strings on some models. The ones in their tune chart are incorrect. If the builder doesn't know the actual correct measurements you won't be able to get your bow in spec.

jmez

WKR
I just looked at his website. Says temporarily not taking orders until he's caught up.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
How often do strings need to be replaced?

Curious as well. I am sure a string builder would have some insight. Also probably depends on how much you shoot, how tight your nock is on your serving, how fast your serving wears all over the string, how often you wax, how much you beat up your string during hunting season, how you store your bow, and more.

Trial153

WKR
I shoot a fair amount and hunt according to my wife a more then fair amount. I Get couple years out of set of well built strings and cables. And I would say I am being conservative. If a set isnt any good or bit correct I will know it short order.

Last edited:
Catfish customs, JBK, twisted-x and buck Slayer have all done right by me and made fantastic strings that had zero creep as long as I had the bow.

One other name that has been mentioned here in this thread a lot has been known to pump out subpar strings (lots of creep, way out spec, premature serving separation), have a general bad attitude towards customer complaints and silences their voices because they’re big sponsors and friends with moderators on another forum. . .

While I only have personal experience with JBK (which are awesome and his customer service is awesome as well), what fatlander said is exactly the same thing I've seen dozens and dozens of times.

RMac5

Lil-Rokslider
Mike at Carters Archery builds fantastic strings as mentioned above. I have had multiple sets done and am always impressed. He’s a fantastic guy to deal with.

I’m a hogwire fan. Most durable I’ve found. Have had center serving issues on a lot of others with short ATA bows.