After SXS experience, anyone go back to truck or other 4x4?

Hi All,

We’ve all heard the pros/cons of sxs vs. other 4x4 (truck, suv, etc) so not looking to debate that here.

Am curious of people with actual experience owning a SXS who ended up selling it to go back to normal 4x4?

I’m seriously tempted myself, but maybe that’s because the roads I’ve been using to get to hunting spots are not too brutal with deep potholes and washboard. I also just use it for access as haven’t been road hunting on it. For scouting it’s awesome if putting on miles exploring new areas, but I don’t do a ton of new areas nowadays.

Comfort is a +/- vs my 3/4 Duramax (230k mi 2011) Ride is lights out way softer which is awesome, but maybe it’s my age, the noise and lack of climate control counterbalance that ride comfort. Heck, I rough it enough when hunting so much off trail it’s kinda nice to be comfortable driving there, though if in the truck it means driving slower.

Maybe if I had a $60k+ truck I’d not want to abuse it but mine’s already got it’s wilderness pinstripes so I don’t worry about the paint, etc..

Curious others’ actual experience and if you’re happy going back or regret it?

Thx

S

I have off and on through the years had side by sides sold them, used the truck for a few years, bought another side by side and rinse and repeat.

The thing i love about the side by sides is the speed at which you can cover country. If your leaving from a camp and need to drive 15-20 miles one way on a dirt/ unmaintained road it’s way quicker than a pickup. We had two side by sides with heaters and one fully enclosed so protection from the elements were nice.

The part of the side by sides i hate the most is the dust. And it just eats at you there’s no escaping it. Enclosed or open sides it just doesn’t matter there so dusty. Second thing i hate is the noise there so flipping loud i wear earplugs just to drown some of it out.

I’m trying to convince myself that maybe going the jeep route might be the best of both worlds. I just have no real world experience with them and having a hard time wanting to jump down that rabbit hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaronmn

FNG
I had a Ranger, then sold it to buy a newer ATV. I hated the dust. I also like ATVs on the woods trails that I have, versus trying to get the UTV down there.

Much better family ride in the UTV. The bed was nice for small chores.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I have a ranger 6x6 up here in AK and I've beat the utter shit out of it hunting here. I also have a 2 door jeep wrangler. This being said the jeep has become a summer cruiser for me and the wife with the top off. We do a few trails with it during the year also.

I'm trying to justify a new can am 6x6 now.

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I have found generally speaking atleast up here. It's alot easier to fix a system in the field when you do break.

I have avoided both 4x4 and sxs because the FS has all the roads that fit them are closed to motorized traffic. They are mostly old wagon roads from the pre 30s periods.

Yarak

WKR
I've owned a 4x4 forever and decided to buy a sxs to go along with it
I quickly discovered the sxs wouldnt do much more than than the 4x4 so I sold the sxs and bought a 4wheeler and it will go where the road stops
The 4wheeler will go where the sxs wont go and is way more maneuverable in tight spots

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
If I was switching from a SxS it wouldn't be to a jeep. I think they ride just as bad as a heavy duty pickup but are also dusty and loud. And if older, bring tools.

I would go with a Ford Raptor, Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado, Tacoma, or Nissan Frontier. Crew cab on whatever I chose.

I’ve got ATV, SXS, and a Tacoma. I have never regretted taking the Tacoma over all of them, however different hunts call for different equipment and terrain. Tacoma is unbeatable if you have to cover some ground and the roads aren’t terrible. Sheep hunts I prefer whipping on the SXS or ATV to save my kidneys and cover some ground quicker. That dust is just a damn nightmare. I keep a leaf blower at camp to hit the reset button every day on the rig, packs, cases, etc…

AZ8

WKR
I have both. Doubt I’d sell the SxS. There are some roads that are just unbearable in a truck, but a breeze in the SxS.

In Arizona, the dust issue will always be in there. I can hunt all week in my Silverado and come home with a cab full of dust too. The dash, gauges, seats and inside the bed w/topper just covered in dust. It’s just the nature of living down here, so I accept it in my SxS.

The dust is a deal breaker for a lot of people tho, so I can understand that sentiment.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Literally every single time I've seen a SXS while in my hunting units, they are on roads, tracks, or 4wd trails where I already take my trucks. And every single time I encounter them, they end up pulling off to let me by because they're going too slow. So from my perspective, I see no advantage to them. The last week of the archery season, two old guys drove past my camp (on a dead end spur road that ends 100 yards later) on a SXS that was loud as heck and backfiring every 10 seconds. They might as well been shooting guns off.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
had a rzr 2 door for a long time, loved it but we have 2 dogs now and the 2 door wasnt working, i wasnt about to pay 40k for a new sxs thats just crazy. Bought a jeep tj for 13k and it was rough as hell, did some research on shocks and now for 400 bucks it rides awsome, it had been the mvp of this hunting season, love it.

Have friends with sxs. I have a 2016 jeep cherokee trailhawk that I take anywhere they take the sxs's. I can't see paying that much for a toy when my daily driver is as capable as it is. Maybe not as smooth as a ride off road but it darn sure beats my F350.
I am looking at buying a 4 wheeler though. Just moved up to Alaska and there are far too many trails that can get me way back in there where the jeep can't go. But we are talking Alaska not the lower 48. Never saw the need for one while living in Idaho. 20220811_202013.jpg
My jeep next to a stock

Pros and cons both ways. SXS is loud, dusty, cold, hot, and can be a pain to haul. It keeps the rough miles off my truck though and I can take it places I would not get my truck without risk of damaging it in some way. I can also get down the bad roads so much faster. If your cruising maintained roads a SXS is not the way to go.

grfox92

WKR
Never owned a side by side and if I did I certainly wouldn't want it specifically for hunting.

I have to laugh. This year I spent alot of time elk hunting a new to me area. Just about every $80k Diesel truck had a trailer and a $30k side by side behind it. All so they could drive them on the same roads me and my partner were driving on in his 25 year old Subaru Outback.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I've got a truck, 2dr Rubicon on 35's and $$$ suspension and a SXS.

SXS hands down for easy ripping around in tight brushy/rocky forest roads. Dust sucks and so do subzero temps, but the ride quality comparatively is not even close.

Those people saying they get around just the same I dare say are either lying or just not experienced. My Jeep will go more places due to ground clearance, but I have to drive it half as fast. I tried keeping up with the SXS pace and broke stuff...

That said - it depends on the unit. If it's just washboard roads I might just use the Jeep for comfort. Gnarly fire roads I'll trailer the SXS.