After SXS experience, anyone go back to truck or other 4x4?

tdhanses

WKR
@tdhanses what 10 plys are you using?

Got tired of using quads and taking the truck most places we go is slow and miserable. I’ve not had it long and it still has stock tires but this thing is pretty legit. Pioneer 1000-5. The dust does suck though. Working through the rattles…View attachment 462189
Get a mid panel or a rear panel, it makes huge difference on dust, i hrdly get dust in the front anymore but i also have a superatv flip up front window s well.

I think i have Maxxis Rampage tire on it, will look and verify, i have the same size tire/wheel on all 4 now as well.

tdhanses

WKR
Brick city fab

Has worked well, buddy has one on his rig too. Swings out for access to the bed

Ref the dust, I put a SATV split windshield on mine. Helped a lot, open it a bit and get more airflow that pushes the dust away, wouldn’t wanna use it in rain/snow…. But for my situation it works.
The satv flip up windshield isn’t bad at all in the rain, even a downpour, haven’t had it in more then a snow flurry.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Just a reminder that this is not a pissing contest guys. If you have something helpful to share related to the OP's question, please share it. If you want to post just to show someone else on the internet how tough you are or to tell other people you don't approve of their spending, just move on so we can keep the thread open.

Thank you

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Get a mid panel or a rear panel, it makes huge difference on dust, i hrdly get dust in the front anymore but i also have a superatv flip up front window s well.

I think i have Maxxis Rampage tire on it, will look and verify, i have the same size tire/wheel on all 4 now as well.
I just added a rear panel to see if it helps with the dust.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You would be amazed what a nicely setup sxs will do and still allow you to drink coffee. I have zero worries about breaking it, full skid plate and extra tierods, easy to work on for any trail repairs, i also have 17” of ground clearance running 30” tires. Front windshield even fold up, it’s my ac.
I would think that 3 foot deep ruts would roll that thing. I can't even imagine driving that thing 15mph through boulder fields. But I generally don't drive through boulder fields even in my Toyota. I'll leave that for the rock crawlers. But I will give you......that thing looks much more built up than 99% of the SXS's I've ever seen. (y) Most all of the ones I see have tiny little tires, and very little clearance......and are LOUD.

Last edited:
I own a ext cab raptor and a 2 door can am defender with a hard cab. The Sxs goes so many more places wayyyyy better than the raptor. Like oh it's raining and the 2 track is muddy and there is lots of hills and tight drives through the trees. Pfttttt Sxs handles it no problem. Rocky nasty trails with switch backs dropping into canyons Sxs does it no problem.

They're a great tool if used correctly for hunting and scouting.

I love the raptor its fun bombing through the sage brush and open spaces and it's super capable but dam sxs's are just better. And if i wreck the Sxs or it breaks down. Oh well I find a way back to my truck and drive home or go recover it.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I just added a rear panel to see if it helps with the dust.
It made a big diff for me, i think key is having a front window and roof for it to work well. I also have soft doors but only have the windows up when it’s really cold or in a downpour rain storm. I thought about adding a manual windshield wiper but just haven’t seen it as a priority.

tdhanses

WKR
I would think that 3 foot deep ruts would roll that thing. I can't even imagine driving that thing 15mph through boulder fields. But I generally don't drive through boulder fields even in my Toyota. I'll leave that for the rock crawlers. But I will give you......that thing looks much more built up than 99% of the SXS's I've ever seen. (y) Most all of the ones I see have tiny little tires, and very little clearance......and are LOUD.
Yeah i think most stock units that are more utility based come with crappy shocks, tires and not a ton of ground clearance but yet are very capable in the right hands, these things like anything can suck you in especially if you use them more then a few times a year. Full 4wd diff locking is nice, I’ve driven mine through mud in turf mode most 4wd pickups would get stuck in without a big run at. Also i’m not afraid to bounce it off trees and have zero worry about dents and scratches, even rolling it isn’t too big of a concern, not that i want to but i can fix anything on it in my garage and most things trail side.

38E4AC60-62D8-49DF-A668-13D72B41CD97.jpeg

Last edited:
The satv flip up windshield isn’t bad at all in the rain, even a downpour, haven’t had it in more then a snow flurry.
I have an 801 UTV glass shield on mine. Putting a mid panel on made a huge difference with the dust. With the addition of the doors, windshield and mid panel, dust is down 95 percent in the cab. I keep a gap open where the windshield meets the lid to keep positive cab pressure. I also used acoustic foam panels on the roof to help with noise. The Honda's get super warm under the seat which is nice in the winter....in the summer not so much.

tdhanses

WKR
I have an 801 UTV glass shield on mine. Putting a mid panel on made a huge difference with the dust. With the addition of the doors, windshield and mid panel, dust is down 95 percent in the cab. I keep a gap open where the windshield meets the lid to keep positive cab pressure. I also used acoustic foam panels on the roof to help with noise. The Honda's get super warm under the seat which is nice in the winter....in the summer not so much.
I added a switched under seat fan, made a huge diff in the summer with heat.

Ehunter

FNG
I wont use my truck anymore in certain areas. I have a Toyota and scratched the heck out of it this year. I should of used my side by side. Narrow roads main roads. I don't road hunt but getting to some places you need to drive. I hate the dust but sure beats scratching the heck out of the truck. I don't know how full size trucks drive some of those roads.

As far as 10plys go, check out the Tusk Terra Bites. They’re definitely the best tires I’ve had on my RZR. They perform really well in wet and slimy rock gardens.

Reactions: AZ8

AZ8

WKR
As far as 10plys go, check out the Tusk Terra Bites. They’re definitely the best tires I’ve had on my RZR. They perform really well in wet and slimy rock gardens.
Added those to my Defender last year. They've performed flawlessly so far! Really handle the mountain mud and rocky desert roads well. I want to try them in the deep snow this winter and see how they do.

Overall, very pleased with them.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I put Evos on my pioneer. Great tire and I stuck with 12" aftermarket wheels to have more tire for a smoother ride. I used to talk crap about SxS's, until I got one. Looking back, I was bitter that I couldn't afford one. If you have the $$$$ and don't pay payments, they are worth it. My last OTC bucks here in AZ were in areas I would have never explored in a pickup. TONS of new areas opened up after I got the SxS.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned more than a few jeeps, and a Honda pioneer 1000-5. I just sold the Honda. It was an unbelievably capable machine, definetley faster and more capable than any jeep for hunting. I had a roof, windshield and soft rear panel. Back seats were useless. Heat was awful, even with the fan. Dust was the deal breaker. It gets everyplace. Comes through the dash, the stupid doors which don’t seal, the seat, the various bed openings for the back seats. Destroys bow cases, packs, whatever you carry. Optics had to be in weatherproof protected cases. I just got fed up with the trade off. I am now either looking at a used jeep again, 2 door, or a can am defender with a full cab. Leaning defender.