after the hunt

bnsafe

WKR
For you guys driving home to another state after a successful hunt. What do you do with the head/antlers to make sure it stays good for the taxidermist. We shot a mule deer a few days ago and got it back ok, but obviously it wasnt gonna fit into a cooler. The local processor wanted 41 bucks a day to freeze it I was told. We came up with a solution, but, if it was a elk or moose that would not have worked. We do not cape a head out. So what do you guys do?

Erict

WKR
Learn to cape it. Practice on other animals (like antlerless deer, etc.) really helps - you could even try it on a road-kill without worrying about screwing up a nice hide.

PS - Many states have CWD regulations that restrict/prohibit importation/transportation of complete heads - may be worth looking into.

Here is a pretty decent video from Kentucky Fish and Wildlife of how to do it:

Last edited:
For you guys driving home to another state after a successful hunt. What do you do with the head/antlers to make sure it stays good for the taxidermist. So what do you guys do?

Most surefire ways to make sure that it gets to your taxidermist without spoilage, is to fully skin it, turn it, flesh it and salt it, or, freeze it solid and ship it 2nd-Day Express.

Rich M

WKR
You can’t legally transport a deer head/spine thru most states these days due to ehd. You probably broke a bunch of laws.

Best option if you refuse to cape it is to have a hunt local taxidermist do the mount.

S.Clancy

WKR
You can’t legally transport a deer head/spine thru most states these days due to ehd. You probably broke a bunch of laws.

Best option if you refuse to cape it is to have a hunt local taxidermist do the mount.
I think you meant CWD hoss.

As for me, I just skull cap. But you would need to cape and freeze cape if you wanted to mount it, as they recommend above.

Rich M

WKR
I think you meant CWD hoss.

As for me, I just skull cap. But you would need to cape and freeze cape if you wanted to mount it, as they recommend above.
Yeah, that’s it.

Became too expensive to justify an out of state lease I had - but had to mostly process any deer before crossing state line to head home - seen some guys who got grabbed by the AG inspection folks once. Heard about a deer being confiscated on here too. Would certainly suck to have a BOAL confiscated for that.

hunterjmj

WKR
Learn to cape. It's not that difficult and boil the skull up before transporting out of state. I'll have to look it up but in MT the spine and brain must be removed. I suppose you could boil the skulls in camp before leaving the state.

WCB

WKR
For shoulder mounts just watch the video above...Rough cape it, double bag and lay in a cooler. I fold mine in half and dont roll it until I freeze it. MOst out of state hunts now I bring my burner and propane tank and a pot and just boil it out if I'm not mounting it. Once you cape a couple it takes about 5-10 minutes add another minute to cut the horns off and your done.

Unless you are back in the wilderness or have zero way to keep it cool there is no reason to have to learn to flesh and turn ears, eyes, mouth, noses etc. I have had Antelope capes in a cool on ice for around 5 days and zero issues with the cape.