Aftermarket bow strings

Hey everyone! I’ve never used an aftermarket string before so I’m curious about it. What are the pros and cons of an aftermarket string? I’m currently shooting the factory Zebra strings on my V3. I’ve never had a problem with them but if I do it’d be nice to be at least a little more informed on where to start looking and what to look for in a string. Thanks!
Setup is:
Mathews V3 31
28.5in draw
79.6#
490gr arrow
286fps

wayoh22

WKR
Search the archery forum, more than enough threads in there on this exact topic to help you chose a brand

grfox92

WKR
Anyone ever tried the Catfish Customs "waxless" bow strings ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Shaw

FNG
I’ve been building bowstrings for over 18 years and it’s a side business of mine when hunting season is over. The first thing I do when I get a new bow is replace the factory string set with one of my own. Benefits of custom strings is no creep or stretching, no peep rotation and servings that won’t separate.

As for mass produced strings, GAS strings are probably the best.

Hoot

WKR
I shoot GAS bowstrings, but ABB (Americas Best Bowstrings), and Catfish Customs receive high marks as well. A lot of guys really like Buckslayer too, I had bad customer service with them though, I could be an outlier though, a lot of guys say they have really good customer service.

Reactions: ZDR

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
I'll put in a 3rd vote Catfish Customs, but I'll likely try a GAS string for my target bow this summer.

I don't like to rip on a company, but I would not buy 60x ever again. I had two sets from them that creeped like crazy. I had to time my bow constantly. I installed the first set a month before a mule deer hunt. I verified tune the week before I left and by the time I got home 9 days later and the timing was off enough to move my BH POI 6" at 30 yards. Thankfully I never had a shot at a deer, but I did miss a coyote facing me around 25 yards. I'll never know if I botched the shot or if it was from the string/cables creeping.

I didn't want to make my opinion off of one set and most people I talked to had good luck with them so I got another set the following spring. This set never stopped moving either.

I installed the Catfish Customs in June and re-timed my cams after a couple weeks of shooting. I added a half twist and it was back to being timed. Shot a moose in September and a deer in November without having to touch them. I'd bet they are still on today.

The only positive to the 60x strings was I learned a lot about of tuning Elite's cam.

I'll put in a 3rd vote Catfish Customs, but I'll likely try a GAS string for my target bow this summer.

I don't like to rip on a company, but I would not buy 60x ever again. I had two sets from them that creeped like crazy. I had to time my bow constantly. I installed the first set a month before a mule deer hunt. I verified tune the week before I left and by the time I got home 9 days later and the timing was off enough to move my BH POI 6" at 30 yards. Thankfully I never had a shot at a deer, but I did miss a coyote facing me around 25 yards. I'll never know if I botched the shot or if it was from the string/cables creeping.

I didn't want to make my opinion off of one set and most people I talked to had good luck with them so I got another set the following spring. This set never stopped moving either.

I installed the Catfish Customs in June and re-timed my cams after a couple weeks of shooting. I added a half twist and it was back to being timed. Shot a moose in September and a deer in November without having to touch them. I'd bet they are still on today.

The only positive to the 60x strings was I learned a lot about of tuning Elite's cam.
60x has a 1 year warranty. You should contact them. I am a dealer for them and have great success with their strings.

Rob5589

WKR
My last set from Buckslayer were the best I have ever used. The bow took almost no string twisting to dial it in and absolutely no stretch. I have also used Archeryshack and Hogwire as well with good results.

My one bad set was 60X. Lasted maybe 6 months before they started to lose servings and come apart. Their warranty is worthless as well, they would not honor it.

Reactions: Zac

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
60x has a 1 year warranty. You should contact them. I am a dealer for them and have great success with their strings.

Bought the last set in 2019.

Like I said some people have had good luck with them, but I didn't the two times I bought them. I have given up enough of my time chasing tune due to their strings.

nphunter

WKR
Don’t think you will find a better string than Park-n-sons strings in ID. Tom does an outstanding job making them and has been making them forever. As long as he’s still in business I wont buy any others personally.

Zac

WKR
Pronghorn Bowstrings looks promising. If I need strings built right away I use Threads. If I can wait Bucks Slayer definitely gets the nod.

Hey everyone! I’ve never used an aftermarket string before so I’m curious about it. What are the pros and cons of an aftermarket string? I’m currently shooting the factory Zebra strings on my V3. I’ve never had a problem with them but if I do it’d be nice to be at least a little more informed on where to start looking and what to look for in a string. Thanks!
Setup is:
Mathews V3 31
28.5in draw
79.6#
490gr arrow
286fps
i have not had good luck with zebras, they have been as bad as winner's choice for me.... if i buy another mathews, i will factor in a new string to the cost, because the few sets of zebras i had were terrible. a good aftermarket string just is insurance that after initial break in, nothing will move, you won't have serving separation, etc.

i have had excellent luck with JBK strings, and the over priced ABB platinums.... they are expensive, but good if you need a string and they can get one in hand fast, haha. there are several really good builders, but i stick with what i know.

i have not had much luck with any factory strings aside from the current one on my mach 1, it's been great so far. still gonna put a custom set on because it's never bad to have a good backup on hand..... getting a string when you need one "right now" is generally when you can't get one quick, so having a set on hand can have a very positive impact on a hunting season. it's cheaper than a new bow ;)

sndmn11

WKR
We got vapor trail strings this fall, next time I will search around before getting another set. The strings have settled nicely, and we don't see any variation of peep alignment in warm or cold weather. My qualms are that I feel like the center serving is too big in diameter, and two of the four sets of heat shrink wrapped speed nocks were not shrunk and likely the brass not crimped. There was a very scary moment where on shot there was a twank and the sound of pieces hitting the concrete and rolling. as the brass nocks popped off. This happened on my bow and had already happened on my wife's bow presumably in the grass because she didn't notice.

I didn't personally order the strings, so I am unsure if the nock being used was communicated, and I suppose reserving the center is possible, so that isn't a HUGE deal. I do feel like not putting the speed nocks on appropriately on 2 of 2 strings is a bit of an oversight.

JDB9818

WKR
I’ve used Catfish Customs, Twisted X, Hogwire, JBK, Strict 9 and Buck Slayer (probably one or two others I can’t remember).

Hands down Catfish Customs or Twisted X for me. I just ordered a new set of strings for my new V3 from Catfish. His quality, options and price point is spot on. Twisted X is also awesome but the wait times are a little longer and a little more expensive.

I was not impressed by the Buck Slayer or JBK sets I tried. I have no experience with GAS but they are pretty expensive and I think you can get an as good or better set from a quality smaller string builder.

D S 319

WKR
Used Vapor Trails this last year on vertix they weren’t too bad.. ordered GAS this time. Great customer service with them.