Aftermarket stock recommendations. Do they help with recoil?

Rus

FNG
I’m in the market for a new stock for my Tikka 7 rem mag. Do the aftermarket stocks I see on the semi custom tikka thread do anything for recoil. They look amazing but do they have any real major benefits over the stock that comes on the tikka? I already have a break on the 7 rm so recoil isn’t bad at all just curious if a aftermarket stock would also help? Thanks

No experience with aftermarket stocks, but Limbsaver recoil pads make a huge difference.

Totally depends on the stock. I have an alterra that noticeably reduces muzzle flip. Lots of praise for krg bravo as you can raise the butstock. Looking at the designs of some of the other aftermarket stocks…I would say some look a lot worse than the factory with a limb saver. I like a long range gun to finish at around 10 pounds so before the alterra I was adding lead into the butt and vertical grip of the tikka factory which settles things down a lot. Most of the aftermarket stocks look cool but unless they are heavier I HATED shooting my buddies mesa precision..felt like a weatherby stock to me and wanted to jump into my face.

Wrench

WKR
You can look at the stock shape and envision the recoil force applied.

If a stock drops hard at the comb to the heel, it has to pop your face. If its flat or raises it would cause clearance.

Bore line is the leverage applied to the stock, but is not solely responsible for recoil direction as stock mass and mass location causes a C/G shift on it's journey to your shoulder.

Whisky

WKR
Unfortunately, it looks like AllTerra has quit selling stocks. Their Carbon Hunter would have been my recommendation, with the negative comb. I have one on a braked 300prc and love it.

The McMillan Game Hunter stock that I have has a negative comb and it fits me very well, which both lead to less perceived recoil in my experience. That being said, I do all of my shooting with a suppressor now so that has reduced recoil on everything significantly. Plus, I don't shoot heavy recoiling guns to begin with, so there is that too.

OP
R

Rus

FNG
Yeah I have heard that the Allterra stocks are a great design. It’s too bad they gave up on selling them. Has anyone tried a grayboe Phoenix? Those look intriguing but have seen mixed reviews online but never have seen one in person? I might just have to stay with the original tikka stock.

Those of you with the Allterra, did you have to use a higher scope mount? I just got my Allterra and I notice with the normal low mounts I have to get my head a little more forward and press my cheek down to get good eye alignment to the scope. Or is this just a good proper cheek position and I have been floating my cheek on my other rifles?

wildcat33

WKR
Im looking to replace my rem700 footprint McMillan hunter with something that is more compatible with the @THLR shooting recommendation of keeping the butt pad in line with axis of bore. I’m not seeing much out there besides chassis systems and slim sporter stocks. I’d like to go manners with mini chassis but open to other ideas.

For a lightweight setup what are folks using?

rootacres

WKR
The stock geometry helps in some cases, just depends on the design. The recoil pad influences more IMO. The Limbsaver pads are pretty nice, I have a Pachmayr on my current rig. It's probably not quite as good as the Limbsaver but it does work pretty well.

A good brake and pad will do more for you than a stock.

Say 50% is the brake, 40% is the pad and 10% is the stock design. Something like that.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Im looking to replace my rem700 footprint McMillan hunter with something that is more compatible with the @THLR shooting recommendation of keeping the butt pad in line with axis of bore. I’m not seeing much out there besides chassis systems and slim sporter stocks. I’d like to go manners with mini chassis but open to other ideas.

Gunwerks Clymr.

Unckebob

WKR

I haven't got an aftermarket stock, but I would l for one shaped like a Kimber Hunter OEM stock. They were built to be mounted on lightweight rifles. I love my Kimber Hunter.

Boonie327

FNG

For lightweight it’s worth looking at the Peak 44 Blacktooth stock along with the Clymer. Its geometry is pretty good…pretty ironic since it’s owned by Adam Weatherby and Weatherbys have traditionally had the WORST geometry.

Edit: I know op mentioned tikka and they’re not available in the Blacktooth yet, but are supposed to be coming.

Last edited:

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Gunwerks Clymr. But I don't pay attention to the market/don't know what's out there and I have visited the factory, so I'm biased AF.

I use my Clymr for the winter/backcountry hunts which has a small target and a lot of potential energy released when I fall. Of all things, it was the trigger that failed last season (Jewell, powdered snow froze it)
20210201_143620-01.jpeg

I used to have a Bansner rifle stock (not the newest model), it is good but simply not the same product.
stokk (1).jpeg
The Clymr grip is also a little different, I don't know how to describe it, but even my tiny kids can grip that rifle. They just can't do that with my other rifles. I use size 10-11 gloves and grip feels "just right"
20210616_110504-01.jpeg
20210626_125802-01 (1).jpeg
My 22 Hornet with a "classic synth stock" - a bit more "swept" grip than the Bansner, had to be rebuilt. This stock had classic safari lines and I was simply unable to get any reasonable accuracy out of it and the kids could not grip the rifle at all. Looks like utter crap, but by changing the stock fit alone, I would get significantly better results out of the rifle (it is already rebarreled with a match barrel). This result is good for a Hornet.
20220805_175140-01.jpeg
I visited the Gunwerks factory recently. THIS IS WHY I SAY I'M BIASED AND YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE MY WORD ON FACE VALUE. The "wrecking station" was one of the more interesting point for me, here they apply and measure the force required to weaken or break the stocks. Impressive values, I would say I'm in the ER or the scope fails long before I can ski a stock to failure.
DSC00849 – Kopi.JPG

I also saw a new stock and commented how flimsy it appeared in the magazine area, whereupon I was invited to break it. I failed. It's fair to say composite technology and knowledge has evolved the last 40 years...
DSC00852 – Kopi.JPG

And parting I'll add this photo of the Clymr/ Skuhl riflestock. It is undercommunicated how cool this stock is; wood fibre laminated to the carbon. Same tech as in the luxury car industry (Maserati/Ferrari), probably prohibitive cost, but I love to have a modern stock "hidden" inside a 100% "wood-looking" exterior.
DSC00580 – Kopi.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00849 – Kopi.JPG
    DSC00849 – Kopi.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 9