Aftermarket Tikka Magazine PRC, SAUM, WSM platforms

OP
HellsCanyon
Mike, does it lock up in the bottom metal more securely than the "other" magazines out there?

Absolutely! These things are good n tight.

Okay folks, I’m going to get these up on the website tomorrow. There won’t be a “pre order” as originally planned. Instead We have mags ready to ship....

They will discounted 10% below planned retail for the first week. After that they’ll be full retail so you’ll save a little on this first offering.

I’ll have a video up tomorrow morning of them on my IG page. @HCAMike

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, Mike! With the discount and free shipping you were able to hold pretty close to your preorder price.

OP
HellsCanyon
Thanks, Mike! With the discount and free shipping you were able to hold pretty close to your preorder price.

Thank you Sir. We tried but there were a few additional ops needed on machining but I'm most impressed we're less than 8 weeks from concept to production. Comparing that stamped steel AICS mags are $80, Factory plastic mags are $40-$55, other AICS billet mags on the market are $120+ I feel we're providing a much needed product at a fair market price. Everyone wins here :)

Mike

do you plan on this being a regular stocked item? my build will be a ways out, and i am still trying to plan. this looks to be just what the tikka needed.

OP
HellsCanyon
do you plan on this being a regular stocked item? my build will be a ways out, and i am still trying to plan. this looks to be just what the tikka needed.

I am planning on these being a regularly stocked item. From the response I've gotten today though I imagine they will be sold out fairly quickly. We're already starting a second run already.

Other calibers will be shortly after. We need to modify shoulder stops a touch but feed lips looks to be very functional with the 308 based calibers as well.

.223 will likely be a fall/winter project.

Mike

Clarktar

WKR
I am planning on these being a regularly stocked item. From the response I've gotten today though I imagine they will be sold out fairly quickly. We're already starting a second run already.

Other calibers will be shortly after. We need to modify shoulder stops a touch but feed lips looks to be very functional with the 308 based calibers as well.

.223 will likely be a fall/winter project.

Mike
So, 30-06 compatible ones will be ready this winter?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
HellsCanyon
So, 30-06 compatible ones will be ready this winter?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Any long action calibers will be the last thing we do. You don’t gain anything over a factory mag other than a material upgrade.

RTSJ

Lil-Rokslider
I’d be in for 2 for the Creed. Really like the shoulder bump design and a true 3 down would be great.

Roy

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered two, for a 6.5 PRC build!

Do you still have plans to design a light weight T3x bottom metal?

OP
HellsCanyon
I just ordered two, for a 6.5 PRC build!

Do you still have plans to design a light weight T3x bottom metal?

Yes. That’ll be happening this fall sometime. It’ll be a factory copy with an improved latch design.

Thanks for the orders everyone Monday will be a busy busy shipping day!

Mike

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Got mine and played with it for a bit. Fits three WSM rounds in when bolt is closed w/o hanging out the bottom so Mike has achieved the desired goal. :)

Other observations to be aware (at least in my rifle/bottom metal combo): I need to open the bolt and push on the front of the mag to offload the pressure on the catch to be able to release the mag when it is full is my initial observation, is that just my bottom metal or just trade off for the bottom not being droopy? Without 3 rounds I still need to push the front a bit to take pressure off the catch but don't need to open the bolt.

Spring tension: Those twin coils in there snap that second round up hard and audible when racking a round in (enough to dent the shoulder of the brass a bit), do you anticipate the springs will settle in more? Just something to keep in mind hunting if noise is a concern probably better to not rack one from the mag in those cases.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Tested mine a little. I also have a heck of a time trying to release the mag catch on a full mag an closed bolt.

It has about an RCH of clearance for the third round to fit under the feed lips. Springs are tight to load. Next I need to get a long action bolt stop to check feeding.

OP
HellsCanyon
Update as of today. I’ve got a plethora of factory tikkas and bottom metals in the shop. Id initially paired a factory bottom metal with my own personal action in a factory stock, a Mesa stock, and a new AG stock for testing.

We’ve discovered that all factory bottom metals are indeed different. I can swap two factory bottom metals into the same stock and one works, and the second one doesn’t. Seeing up to .010” difference on magwell widths and there’s a minor radius difference in the fronts as well.... Who’d of guessed? the ONLY failsafe solution to consistent mag engagement is going to be a consistent bottom metal. Plans/programming are almost being done this weekend and we’ll be testing hopefully in the next week.

In regards to the spring tension/tightness.... I’m working on a retrofit option. We tested a LOT of springs in the magazine and found what I thought was the best/lightest option for the dimensions we had to work with. However after finding the factory bottom metal inconsistencies and seeing how they’re tight in one and perfect in the other, I’m going back to a custom spring option.

Once that’s sorted anyone who ordered an initial mag will get a retrofit option mailed out to them.

Nothing I can do but own up to jumping the gun on these.... sorry guys, I will get this sorted out ASAP!

If anyone had ANY questions or input, please email me! I’d like to know of any other issues people are having.

Mike @ HCA