Aftermarket Tikka Magazine PRC, SAUM, WSM platforms

OP
HellsCanyon
These might push me over the edge towards a tikka build. Heck I might get on the preorder even if the rifle build doesn’t happen soon.

Now the dilemma: 7 SAUM, 300 wsm, or 338 Sherman max

There’s so many good choices in the medium length actions!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HellsCanyon
Well leave it up to Mesa and AG to throw another curve into the mix lol
I’ve got two stocks here for customers from their tikka stock group buy. Decent stock design but the inlet has a pinch point on the factory bottom metal up front. New mag dimensions work in factory and McMillan inlets, need another .010” clearance for the squished factory bottom metal in the Mesa stock. I’ll be contacting AG to have them tweak their bottom metal inlet a bit but I’ve also got enough customers out there with these stocks in hand already so they’ve got to work. I also have two AG alpine hunters for tikkas coming here very soon as well to function test and tweak.

Mags with a 300wsm case feed beautifully. Case head presentation is 90% of what it needs to be. Going to bump the feed lips another .010” up and need to modify an internal plate for the springs to compress a bit better. But yesterday was the first day we actually cycled rounds through a rifle!
4b85d4938d5e25f8da78863398fcda17.jpg
0728729d593ac89c96148dcd3bff9ea8.jpg

Sorry to keep you all waiting but we’re still finalizing pricing and specs. Want to know the capabilities and limitations of this product before we open it up to pre order.

Mike

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
So my factory bottom plastic isn’t gonna fit in the Mesa stock I have coming?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Well leave it up to Mesa and AG to throw another curve into the mix lol
I’ve got two stocks here for customers from their tikka stock group buy. Decent stock design but the inlet has a pinch point on the factory bottom metal up front. New mag dimensions work in factory and McMillan inlets, need another .010” clearance for the squished factory bottom metal in the Mesa stock. I’ll be contacting AG to have them tweak their bottom metal inlet a bit but I’ve also got enough customers out there with these stocks in hand already so they’ve got to work. I also have two AG alpine hunters for tikkas coming here very soon as well to function test and tweak.

Mags with a 300wsm case feed beautifully. Case head presentation is 90% of what it needs to be. Going to bump the feed lips another .010” up and need to modify an internal plate for the springs to compress a bit better. But yesterday was the first day we actually cycled rounds through a rifle!
4b85d4938d5e25f8da78863398fcda17.jpg
0728729d593ac89c96148dcd3bff9ea8.jpg

Sorry to keep you all waiting but we’re still finalizing pricing and specs. Want to know the capabilities and limitations of this product before we open it up to pre order.

Mike

I'm thinking you would get more work done without an Xbox in the shop...........

OP
HellsCanyon
So my factory bottom plastic isn’t gonna fit in the Mesa stock I have coming?

It fits, but you have to seat it back a bit then slide it forward. Factory mag works as well but it’s tight. The factory plastic bottom metal squeezes in about .012” in the front mag well area in this inlet.

The previous issue with the McMillan inlet wasn’t width it was an un-parallel inlet that when torqued was slightly twisting the bottom metal. This required bedding to keep it stress free and maintain the width. The AG inlet is level but a bit tight up front.

Trying to find the balance between perfect rattle free fit and universal compatibility. Very close.

Mike

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about to place my order for the Tikka Mesa stock group buy, and planned to use your mags for a 7saum. Should I request them to modify the stock for a proper fit?

OP
HellsCanyon
I'm about to place my order for the Tikka Mesa stock group buy, and planned to use your mags for a 7saum. Should I request them to modify the stock for a proper fit?

Negative. The mag profile is being tweaked to fit even tight inlets. Better off that way especially as these mags are going to be sold to anyone/everyone and when you're using a plastic bottom metal, it's inevitable that you'll have an inlet be tight and we can't expect every customer to be comfortable modifying a $600+ stock inlet.

Mike

Clarktar

WKR
I'm interested for another future build. Really wanting a 300 wsm, or a 30 PRC

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

khuber84

WKR
I'm interested for another future build. Really wanting a 300 wsm, or a 30 PRC

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
30prc? You referring to 6.5prc necked up, or a 300prc long action case? The latter will not feed from this mag.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Negative. The mag profile is being tweaked to fit even tight inlets. Better off that way especially as these mags are going to be sold to anyone/everyone and when you're using a plastic bottom metal, it's inevitable that you'll have an inlet be tight and we can't expect every customer to be comfortable modifying a $600+ stock inlet.

Mike

Mike,
I’m collecting parts to send in to build a 7SAUM throated for the 180 hybrid. I will have the Mesa group buy stock, proof sendero Light 7mm 24”, both in hand. Looking at a T3X in 7mm Rem Mag for donor action, or would a WSM donor be better? Planning on your mags and bottom metal I’m thinking this will be a slick rifle! Thanks!

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Mike,
I’m collecting parts to send in to build a 7SAUM throated for the 180 hybrid. I will have the Mesa group buy stock, proof sendero Light 7mm 24”, both in hand. Looking at a T3X in 7mm Rem Mag for donor action, or would a WSM donor be better? Planning on your mags and bottom metal I’m thinking this will be a slick rifle! Thanks!

I'm not Mike, but I think the Rem Mag or Win Mag would be the better choices, for the longer bolt stop. The WSM bolt stop can still be filed down to be the same length as the long action cartridges.

OP
HellsCanyon
Mike,

Eric is correct. Starting with a long action magnum like the rem mag or win will give you the appropriate bolt stop. Though milling a WSM bolt stop to fit isn’t a big deal. Though FYI I’ve seen some of the short action bolt stops made from solid metal (ideal) but the majority of them have recesses on the inside which when milled back to long action length doesn’t give full contact for the bolt lug to stop against. So if given the choice, start with a long action Mag donor!

We’re getting some pieces back from anodizing this week. New springs should be in hopefully as well. Thanks for your patience everyone. In the grand scheme of things this has been a pretty short period for product development.

Mike