Aftermarket Tikka Magazine PRC, SAUM, WSM platforms

OP
HellsCanyon
Are you going to be offering a DBM?

We’ve got a prototype 3D printed but it won’t go into production until after hunting season. It’ll fit factory inlets and it looks killer. Not your typical blocky design.

No promo code at this time. Thanks!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed with Luke! Those new springs, albeit I'm sure they were a pain in the arse for Mike to have made, were just what the doctor ordered to dial in this mag perfectly. Stoked to use it for the deer opener next week.

This available to Canadian Residents? I'm interested for sure! And might have some interesting propositions for you

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Really glad I stumbled across this thread! I've been wanting to build a custom rifle with a WTO SwitchLug in 6.5PRC and 6 Creedmoor. If I can find a spare bolt with a magnum face. Can they be ordered new from Tikka/Baretta USA? Could a gunsmith order a replacement bolt if they won't sell them to the public?

Last edited:
Really glad I stumbled across this thread! I've been wanting to build a custom rifle with a WTO SwitchLug in 6.5PRC and 6 Creedmoor. If I can find a spare bolt with a magnum face. Can they be ordered new from Tikka/Baretta USA? Could a gunsmith order a replacement bolt if they won't sell them to the public?
From what I’ve heard it’s nearly as expensive for a replacement bolt as it is for a used rifle. You might be better off finding a donor rifle.

From what I’ve heard it’s nearly as expensive for a replacement bolt as it is for a used rifle. You might be better off finding a donor rifle.
A competent gunsmith can open the bolt face on your Tikka bolt face from a std to mag face.

A competent gunsmith can open the bolt face on your Tikka bolt face from a std to mag face. You in Canada by chance?

A competent gunsmith can open the bolt face on your Tikka bolt face from a std to mag face. You in Canada by chance?

No sir, I’m in TX. Thanks for reply! I wasn’t sure there was enough meat on their standard bolt to open it up. Good to know. It’s a shame they won’t sell spare bolts and nobody making them aftermarket.

OP
HellsCanyon

What do they do about the Sako extractor cut going from a standard to a magnum BF? Someone make a custom extractor to fit the expanded extractor slot?

Mike

KClark

WKR
Mike,

I have seen a go around for this. Drill a blind hole in center of the extractor cut parallel with the bolt face, drive in a tension pin and dress it down until it gives the extractor the correct stand off.

Seems like someone would make and extra thick extractor to cure this, sounds easy enough.

What do they do about the Sako extractor cut going from a standard to a magnum BF? Someone make a custom extractor to fit the expanded extractor slot?

Mike

Don't need to worry about it.

OP
HellsCanyon
Don't need to worry about it.

Interesting.

Going from a .490” to .540” bolt face means .025” per side difference. I could see the extractor still functioning fine as they have quite a bit of radial movement to allow them to ride up and over the case rim. It’s definitely not as intended though... I’ve cut quite a few Sako extractors into Remington bolts and an extra .025” deep on the extractor slot is no small amount.

Mike

Interesting.

Going from a .490” to .540” bolt face means .025” per side difference. I could see the extractor still functioning fine as they have quite a bit of radial movement to allow them to ride up and over the case rim. It’s definitely not as intended though... I’ve cut quite a few Sako extractors into Remington bolts and an extra .025” deep on the extractor slot is no small amount.

Mike

Sometimes you have to rebate the extractor a bit but it works well. Solid extraction and good camming. But I see what you mean.

Mike,
Or anyone else that has done one. What COAL do you run (approximately) for a Tikka 7SAUM using your magazine? I'm assuming to get the most out of running the SAUM in the med length Tikka you would want to throat it for alittle longer COAL to get the benefit. Thoughts???

Mike,
Or anyone else that has done one. What COAL do you run (approximately) for a Tikka 7SAUM using your magazine? I'm assuming to get the most out of running the SAUM in the med length Tikka you would want to throat it for alittle longer COAL to get the benefit. Thoughts???

Mike built a SAUM for me throated for 175 ELDx. They are roughly 3.10” COAL to the lands, little longer for 180 ELD.

Mike built a SAUM for me throated for 175 ELDx. They are roughly 3.10” COAL to the lands, little longer for 180 ELD.
Awesome, thanks for the help. What would you guess the 180 ELDM's would be? I wish I could find some brass and die's I'd make up a dummy round but that's turning into a chore.

Awesome, thanks for the help. What would you guess the 180 ELDM's would be? I wish I could find some brass and die's I'd make up a dummy round but that's turning into a chore.

I don't recall exactly and I'm not able to check my notes for a little while. I think the 180 ELD was just a little longer to the lands, 0.020 ish or so.

Edit to avoid misleading anyone: my chamber wasn't with Mike's new SAUM reamer, he used a SAAMI reamer and throated it separately. COAL's with his new reamer may vary from mine.

Last edited:

OutdoorAg

WKR
Bumping this to see who has these mags and how your gun feeds with them.

Looks like HCA is out, not sure when back in stock or if this is a project that is no more...