Afternoon Hunt in New Zealand Back Country

Carr5vols

WKR
Op. How easy is it to get access to hunt private for turkey on South island or can you pay what we in the US would call a trespass fee for a day?

OP
199p

199p

FNG
Op. How easy is it to get access to hunt private for turkey on South island or can you pay what we in the US would call a trespass fee for a day?
Very confused as to why you would want to i know its massive over there tho,
But most farmers who have some would let you on for a box of beers as they are a pest bird here and not a challenge to hunt.

OP
199p

199p

FNG
Little update for ya

Got 3 day off over New Year's and even with a crappy weather forecast I was keen to get back in.

Was forecast to be hot and muggy, with clear mornings and cloudy afternoons. with rain falling overnight for the entire time but almost no wind.
Thought that's all good deer will be out in the morning and I'll be in the tent early sounds like a win-win.

Got all packed up and hit the road end mid-morning, was windy and hot for the walk-in.
Almost 3 hours later and I stopped to take a quick dip in a pool before climbing the ridge to camp.
web 1.jpg

web 2.jpg
About an hour later I hit the camp spot, started to setup my Big Agnes, Was disappointed to find the tent poles had gone all slack, and it took a long time to get the poles to stay in place.

Got it all done and started walking to the glassing point as the rain came rolling on in.
web 3.jpg
With the rain came high winds and low clouds, i couldn't see any more then 100y in front of me so returned to the tent, had an early dinner, and listened to an older podcast from Shoot 2 Hunt about how good the 77tmk performs.
( side note I shoot the older 77grn smk and it's accounted for many deer, goats, hares, and rabbits. Can't wait to try the tmk in my carbonlite ) pic below from a cull on a mate's farm.
.223 carbonlite.jpg

Set my alarm for 5 am and woke to the wind howling and rain lashing my tent, poked my head out and was covered in low clouds so rolled over and went back to sleep, Rain started easing about 8 am so got out and went exploring, slowly pushing up to the top of the ridge hoping to stumble onto some deer on the was and see what I can see. Went to a couple of lookouts but with the wind howling i couldn't see any deer out anywhere.

web 4.jpg

web 5.jpg

web 6.jpg

The next two days were a rinse and repeat, between hiding in the tent from the worst of the rain to seeing no deer and getting drenched a few times over.

Was an epic New Year's hunt but ortho I came home empty-handed, my shoulders went complaining, With all my gear so wet my back was already heavy enough.

Can't wait to get back in there.

Cheers
Shane