AG Composites question

Decker9

WKR
Hey folks,

Wondering if anyones recently purchased an AGC stock?

I have an Alpine hunter that I bought about a year ago. I see I have a crack in the web between the tigger and magazine well. With less then 150 rounds of mild recoil through the rifle, it’s quite disappointing to see.

On wood stocks, I would normally epoxy a pin or bolt cross ways into that webbing to fix the crack. Kinda like welding a crack on the frame of the pickup truck, it’s always going to be poking me in the back of my mind.

I contacted AGC to see what they thought. Their reply was that they don’t keep that web in their stocks anymore because it serves no purpose, and to send it in so they can remove it, if I wanted.

I’m wondering if anyone has one of AGC’s newer stocks without this web, and can comment on its stiffness. I would think that web would help with the rigidity of a stock?

Curious to hear if anyones had the same crack and what they did to fix it, epoxy? Or remove the web?

Cheers!

ECB2F663-E162-475C-BEAF-A9DDA2766F16.jpeg

Speaking from a purely engineering standpoint, depending on which bottom metal you are using, that ”web” probably doesn’t serve any purpose structurally.
With the bottom metal bracing The lower portion and the action bracing the upper and with all the fiber fill in the stock itself, it is plenty stiff.

It also looks like the cause of the crack is that your action is pressing down unevenly on it (Lightened and crushed area on the right side of the web in your pic). Removal of that web may clear up some binding that is going on. Out of curiosity, what torque do you put on your action screws?

OP
Decker9

Decker9

WKR
Speaking from a purely engineering standpoint, depending on which bottom metal you are using, that ”web” probably doesn’t serve any purpose structurally.
With the bottom metal bracing The lower portion and the action bracing the upper and with all the fiber fill in the stock itself, it is plenty stiff.

It also looks like the cause of the crack is that your action is pressing down unevenly on it (Lightened and crushed area on the right side of the web in your pic). Removal of that web may clear up some binding that is going on. Out of curiosity, what torque do you put on your action screws?

Hey thank you for the reply.

When I received my barrelled action and stock from the gunsmith, the bedding was about as poor as Iv seen tbh. Your thought on the action putting uneven pressure is kinda what I’m wondering also. I torqued my front screw to 60 inch pounds, and the rear to 50 after receiving the rifle from the gunsmith.

But, now looking back at photos, I see this crack was present when I received the build from the gunsmith, im amazed that I didn’t see it right off the bat. Being 7-8 months in with this rifle now, I think it’s a little late to bring it up with the gunsmith as I believe I could fix it better then he could. I don’t know if he had fired it before shipping it to me or not.

When I put some pressure against this crack with a finger and thumb, I can flex the crack open just slightly. This is what kinda concerns me about removing the web altogether. If I was to dremel out a slot for a pin crossways, I wonder if I’d be better to re bed the whole action and cross pin at the same time.

The metal is a Deviant action with the Defiance BDL.

Hey folks,

Wondering if anyones recently purchased an AGC stock?

I have an Alpine hunter that I bought about a year ago. I see I have a crack in the web between the tigger and magazine well. With less then 150 rounds of mild recoil through the rifle, it’s quite disappointing to see.

On wood stocks, I would normally epoxy a pin or bolt cross ways into that webbing to fix the crack. Kinda like welding a crack on the frame of the pickup truck, it’s always going to be poking me in the back of my mind.

I contacted AGC to see what they thought. Their reply was that they don’t keep that web in their stocks anymore because it serves no purpose, and to send it in so they can remove it, if I wanted.

I’m wondering if anyone has one of AGC’s newer stocks without this web, and can comment on its stiffness. I would think that web would help with the rigidity of a stock?

Curious to hear if anyones had the same crack and what they did to fix it, epoxy? Or remove the web?

Cheers!

View attachment 484449

I’ve got a few from This year, I could look today when I get home from work, one on a short action and one on a long action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packer58

WKR
You would probably be safe either way but if it were me i'd dremel out a slot and use a section of SS screw to pin it, clamp and let cure. That bedding job does look a little suspect as well ...

Wapiti1

WKR
Remove it. There isn't any structural material there and it doesn't do anything. If you wanted to strengthen the stock there, you would have to install a real crossbolt. Which isn't needed if you aren't working with big bore cartridges.

Jeremy

tak

WKR
I have an Alpine Hunter from 2019ish. I'm going to check mine out of curiosity.

I'm no expert, but if that area wasn't needed, why would it be subjected to enough stress to crack? Without that area, could there be some flexure when torquing the action screws, then it's all solid once tight? Maybe that only occurs if the bedding is not even?

I’d guess that’s cracked because the bedding or inlet is such that your action is serving to wedge apart the stock. Or was at some point.