AGC vs FHF vs Marsupial.

TheCougar

WKR
I'm running a Kuiu right now, but I tried the marsupial and really really like it. If the front zipper pouch was large enough to hold a cell phone, it would be perfect. As it is, I plan on trying it out. It is definitely quality workmanship and I really like the flip forward lid and the magnet feature.

Felix40

WKR
I held off buying a bino harness for a long time until I saw the maraupial. Its perfect for me because its streamlined and the one handed flip forward lid makes more sense than anything Ive seen. You can put a wind checker in a side pocket and add a rangefinder pouch and I cant imagine needing more than that in a chest pack. Theres nothing worse than not being able to see your feet in rough terrain so the last thing I wanted was a bulky pack on my chest. They are handmade in Arizona as well.

There are a ton of reviews on all these already so you basically just have to decide how much stuff you want in it and what kind of closure works for you.

I'm running a Kuiu right now, but I tried the marsupial and really really like it. If the front zipper pouch was large enough to hold a cell phone, it would be perfect. As it is, I plan on trying it out. It is definitely quality workmanship and I really like the flip forward lid and the magnet feature.

The muley freak front pocket will hold a phone with room to spare

wseidel

WKR
I've posted on this topic before because I have a AGC Cub model and absolutely love it (function, practicality, build quality). There are many other good ones to choose from but this fit my needs the best at the time of purchase a couple years ago. I use it to carry my binoculars, Leica rangefinder (in small front zippered pocket), wind indicator in a side zip, license in the back flat zip pocket, and calls in the elastic on top. I have a larger phone (Samsung Note) otherwise that would go on top in the elastic to keep it handy - as I use google maps during my elk hunting trips much like everyone else uses GPS. I spoke personally with the developers of the FHF and AGC, and spoke with representatives of KUIU...since I was largely comparing these three. Two to three years ago, Elk Hunter/Western Hunter magazine did a comparison of the top models at the time - worth a look. Hope this helps...

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using the FHF for the last few years and my only complaint that I can think of is the side, stretchy pockets are too small for my wind checker.

Just last week Ryan gave me the Marsupial Gear bino harness and rangefinder pouch to try and do a quick video review of. I'm planning to get that video done this weekend.

wapitibob

WKR
I have Badlands, KUIU, and FHF, getting marsupial soon.

Badlands was terrible
Kuiu was terrible
FHF is OK but the lid opens the wrong direction

bganz

FNG
I picked up the AGC CUB MAX and it's perfect for me. As guys have already said, it's totally personal preference. If you're looking for something with some extra room to store stuff, I don't think you could go wrong. I ran the badlands last year and it sucked. I've used my AGC every few days on hikes this spring and although it's big, I never notice it and love having all my essentials strapped to me. Plus it's comfortable. Only negative (which isn't a big deal at all, but I'm picky) are the buckles. I'm in the process of replacing mine with auto lock buckles as the current ones can slip over time. Good luck with whatever you pick, and hope you have an awesome season!

Shrek

WKR
I have both the FHF and AGC and much prefer the FHF. The AGC is too bulky for my taste and the lid doesn't tuck into the pouch well. I also prefer the separate rangefinder and GPS pouches being spread across my chest instead of sticking out further. I can also remove them when I'm not needing them like when I'm just walking the neighborhood bird watching. Much of the time I tuck my lid into the FHF so I can put the binoculars in and out easily with one hand. Haven't tried the Marsupial pack so no opinion. Both the FHF and AGC are very well made.

sr80

WKR
I'm liking simplicity and streamlined marsupial harness, I have an fhf range finder pouch attached. So far no complaints

i had an agc kodiak kiss max. it was ok but i wish the pocket cut lower so i didnt have to reach in so deep to pull out my binos. hated stalking with it so i sold it. the marsupial looks a little better in this retrospect but the colors are kinda junk. muley freak one also looks intriguing

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using the FHF for the last few years and my only complaint that I can think of is the side, stretchy pockets are too small for my wind checker.

Just last week Ryan gave me the Marsupial Gear bino harness and rangefinder pouch to try and do a quick video review of. I'm planning to get that video done this weekend.
Looking forward to your review

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I'm in the minority of the minority....but.... does anyone (else) wish for a harness/pouch which is:

Just for binoculars. No additional pockets, zippers, hidey holes or attachments. Just the bare minimum of padding. Uses small webbing where possible....(who really needs 1" webbing and buckles to keep a harness secure?) Waterproof. Has quick access and a lid which basically can be made to disappear.

I guess I am one of the very few who don't carry anything of excess up front. I'm a total front-body minimalist, which is why I'm using a severely stripped and reconfigured AGC unit.

Also check out the Outdoor Vision harness. Similar to the Kuiu without the shortcomings. Really well made.

Looks really nice but damn if they didn't have to put magnets in it..

What are the shortcomings of the Kuiu harness? I've only used Kuiu and fhf. I prefer Kuiu. Found the fhf to be more cumbersome to get binos in and out and it allows all kinds of junk in the gaps on the side of the top flap.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Pretty sure I'm in the minority of the minority....but.... does anyone (else) wish for a harness/pouch which is:

Just for binoculars. No additional pockets, zippers, hidey holes or attachments. Just the bare minimum of padding. Uses small webbing where possible....(who really needs 1" webbing and buckles to keep a harness secure?) Waterproof. Has quick access and a lid which basically can be made to disappear.

I guess I am one of the very few who don't carry anything of excess up front. I'm a total front-body minimalist, which is why I'm using a severely stripped and reconfigured AGC unit.

All I needed was something to hold my binos. That's why I ditched the bulky AGC and went with the FHF.

AdamW

WKR
I originally had the Kodak CUB w/ Max pocket and sold it because I thought I wanted to be able to carry more gear than a harness allowed. Went with a HPG Kit Bag and it carries more stuff but doesn’t work as well as a bino harness. I just ordered the AGC/Black Ovis “Hybrid” model w/ Max pocket, which is basically the Kodiak CUB with stretch side pockets instead of the zippered ones on the Kodiak. It’s got a little narrower profile which I like. Those zippered side pockets just didn’t hold much, were a pain to get in to for me and made the harness wider. We’ll see how I like this one! Quality is great.

UglyJow

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my AGC KISS with the max pocket. It's not bulky IMO, I like that I get full protection vs FHF, and it was cheaper. Wins all around. I wouldn't go for the Cub model or larger because those do look pretty bulky.

shmacker

FNG
I have Badlands, KUIU, and FHF, getting marsupial soon.

Badlands was terrible
Kuiu was terrible
FHF is OK but the lid opens the wrong direction

I'm curious, why didn't you like the Badlands harness? I'm torn between that and the FHF right now.