Age w/Hide on?

Is there anything wrong with aging deer quarters with the hide on to limit the amount of meat loss to drying/rind? Or does it cause issues?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
Always keep the hide on mine, like you said keeps the meat from drying out and keep birds and such from picking on it

87TT

WKR
I NEVER leave the skin on any longer than I have to. The hide keeps the heat in and starts breaking down the fat under it and can make the meat gamey.

Depends on temps/weather for me, but I usually get the skin off as soon as possible and the meat cooling. Usually lay everything out on a light tarp and hang out for a while after everything is off the animal, flipping it a few times and getting a light protective tacky layer. If you load up a quarter in your pack as soon as you are done breaking an animal down, there can still be a lot of retained heat, which I try to avoid (especially with antelope).
I age the meat in coolers and don't usually hang it - more control over temp and humidity. When the weather is going to be right, sometimes, but rarely, I'll field dress the animal, leave it whole and hang it. Almost always anymore though where I hunt is a pack out proposition and I skin and quarter.

Long story short - skin off almost always to cool (fully) asap, and let 'pellicle' develop. Avoid loss by aging in coolers rather than hanging.

OP
PathFinder
If the meat was chilled quickly, it isn't an issue to leave it on then? Quarters were removed and chilled quickly.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I am only speaking for myself and what has worked for me, I am sure other guys have other methods. I would try to leave the skin on if hanging, and make sure to take it off if aging in coolers.