Aging elk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Last year I processed an antelope, this year I’ll be doing all my animals. I tried to find a locker that would hang wild game in the greater Denver area for a daily fee but I didn’t have any luck. 1. Anybody know of a locker that will hang an animal for 4-5 days? 2. I cut steaks out of the straps and sirloins and burger everything else, except the shanks. Is hanging the backstraps necessary? Can I leave them in the fridge for 3-4 days if so? 3. Do you drain your burger before packaging it? My older processor would grind it then leave it in a fridge overnight to drain. I didn’t do it with my antelope and the burger was great.

MJB

WKR
Get a second fridge and age it in there, that's what I do.
4-5 days isn't much I've done 15-45 days and you can really taste the difference the longer you go.
If your just worried about blood aging won't help that much. I cut, wrap, freeze.....defrost, paper towel dry, season, cook & enjoy!

Elk, grandma always taste the best!

IMG_20190601_182522.jpg

AndySee

FNG
Get a second fridge and age it in there, that's what I do.
4-5 days isn't much I've done 15-45 days and you can really taste the difference the longer you go.
If your just worried about blood aging won't help that much. I cut, wrap, freeze.....defrost, paper towel dry, season, cook & enjoy!

Elk, grandma always taste the best!

View attachment 195430

MJB you put quarters or other large pieces of meat in the fridge for 15-45 days? Do you cover it? Looking for more details on this please because that shit looks delicious.

Laramie

WKR
Meat on the bone ages a little better imo. Have you looked into a coolbot? You can make your own temporary walkin fairly resonably.

14-21 days has been the sweet spot for us at 34 degrees. I agree, 4-5 days won't do much. I never drain burger but I typically grind trim after the aging process so it has very little blood.

MJB

WKR
I wet age 10-45 days in the fridge covered really well or vac seal...... depending on meat and fridge condition.
I have frozen 3-5 yr old elk roast that are soooooo good. So it does age frozen just slower.
In fact lobster that I lost in my chest freezer from 6m-2yrs are so tender & sweet! Longer=better=less meat loss

I debone my elk because it weighs too much in my pack.
With beef, bone in, it makes a huge difference in flavor.

HoneyDew

WKR
I wet age 10-45 days in the fridge covered really well or vac seal...... depending on meat and fridge condition.
I have frozen 3-5 yr old elk roast that are soooooo good. So it does age frozen just slower.
In fact lobster that I lost in my chest freezer from 6m-2yrs are so tender & sweet! Longer=better=less meat loss

I debone my elk because it weighs too much in my pack.
With beef, bone in, it makes a huge difference in flavor.
You mention the beef bone making a difference. Are you implying the same applies to elk but you still debone because of weight?