Aging loin and backstraps

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I filled my moose tag a couple days ago and I have the quarters hanging in a buddies walk in cooler. I have the tenders in the fridge and the straps in my garage hanging over ice. The straps might get cut and moved to the fridge if the temp gets to high.

Normally with elk I leave the straps on the cage and age it that way. Wasn't able to do that with the moose so I cut the straps off.

My question is how long should I age the tenders and backstraps in the fridge/garage?

Thanks guys

EastMT

WKR
Each animal is different, if you are going to age it the best way is under 40 degrees on a rack. 7-10 days max. The trick is test a sliver of steak along the way, you don’t want it going a certain time just because that’s what you did on the last animal. Some take less, some take more. Depends on their activity, terrain, and diet.

I usually go at least 48 hours to let the rigor get out of the animal and then I’m pretty happy with that. If you are going to age long, make sure it’s really cold so you don’t risk losing it.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Each animal is different, if you are going to age it the best way is under 40 degrees on a rack. 7-10 days max. The trick is test a sliver of steak along the way, you don’t want it going a certain time just because that’s what you did on the last animal. Some take less, some take more. Depends on their activity, terrain, and diet.

I usually go at least 48 hours to let the rigor get out of the animal and then I’m pretty happy with that. If you are going to age long, make sure it’s really cold so you don’t risk losing it.

Thanks coop

I will give the tenders another day and the straps a few more days and call it good. will have a taste tonight

MGade84

FNG

Stumbled across this thread. Thank you very much for the aging tip. I have often wondered about it.

tdot

WKR

At the risk of sounding stupid. What are you tasting for? Are you tasting the raw meat? Or cooking it?

I've always gone by time and colour/texture of the exterior of the meat. But to be honest, I can rarely hang it for long enough where it really becomes a concern.

1000yrds

FNG
I usually age them for a week. The outer part gets dried out if I age them more than a week. Did you have any issues with the meat drying out?

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I usually age them for a week. The outer part gets dried out if I age them more than a week. Did you have any issues with the meat drying out?

I ended up again my tenderloins for about 4-5 days, they didn't dry out. I aged the backstraps for a week and I needed to trim a bit.

quarters have another week to go in the locker.